ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Some Things About Today's Game Week 3: KC 24 Blue Herberts 30
gblowfish 04:32 PM 09-26-2021
Some Things About Today’s Game Week 3: KC 24, Blue Herberts 30

Nowhere to go but up from here. Up, because we’ve gone from AFC Champs to cellar dwellers in just three short weeks. It’s rare for the Chiefs under Mahomes to lose two straight games. But when you play the way we did today, they’re lucky the game was as close as it was.

Herbert outplayed Mahomes. He thew for 281 yards, rushed for 16 and threw four TD passes. And no picks. Mahomes had three TD passes and two picks. At one point in the first half, if you count the last three drives of the Ravens game, KC had five turnovers in their previous six drives. The first pick to Marcus Kemp should have been caught. The ball was behind him just a bit. I think the wind may have made the ball sail a little. But it should’ve been caught. Mahomes second pick was another 3rd and long desperation heave that was essentially the same as a punt. The two fumbles hurt. Hill’s was questionable as to whether he had possession long enough, and CEH was just another flat out fumble.

CEH rushed for 100 yards on 17 carries. So he gets a cookie. But No rushing TDs and one costly fumble (he did get a TD on a screen pass). Niang struggled (“struggled” in NFL speak means “sucked” in standard English) - he struggled against Joey Bosa. Mahomes was hurried and hit a lot. The line still isn’t getting the job done.

When you give up 30 points at home you don’t deserve to win. Chiefs were down Ward and Fenton and it came back to bite them. Seems like even back to Grandpa Bob Sutton days, this defense acts like it’s never seen a slant before. I’d be willing to bet at least half of Herbert’s passing yards today were YAC. Sorensen made one decent pass defense but was ass most the rest of the day. When three of your secondary guys are your three leading tacklers -Sorensen, Sneed and Honey Badger- your D Line and Linebackers are not getting the job done.

Chris Jones basically invisible again today. One tackle, no sacks. Only sack was by Mike Danna. Frank Clark has gone full Eric Berry on us. He’s probably sitting at home on his bed rolling around in the cash from this week’s game check. If you go back and watch the third quarter, Jones and Reed are completely off the field for big chunks of time. Those guys are big dollar guys. If they’re so gassed that Wharton and Saunders have to spell them for entire series, then I’d say lay off those Big Macs and get your fat asses in game shape.

After the third turnover, Mahomes went to the offense and tried to get their heads out of their asses. They did manage to get a field goal before the half right after that. Honey Badger was pissed off in the fourth quarter when the defense couldn’t stop Herbert. Both of these guys definitely care and are trying their best, but they’re not getting a lot of help. I also think the league is starting to catch up to Mahomes. They've had three years to build a book on him, and he's going to need to realize these defensive coordinators are going to play him every week like Tampa Bay did in last years Super Bowl. He's a smart kid and will figure it out. No shame in either of the losses we've had. Could have easily won both games but turnovers spoiled both efforts.

I’m thinking we need to make that trade with Detroit for Collins. We still can’t stop the run or a basic slant pass. Spags D has looked every bit as bad -maybe worse- than Sutton’s D from three years ago. It was admirable that Mahomes got the team back in the lead in the 3rd quarter after a horrendous first half, but I just had a feeling that our D was not going to stop Herbert. And ultimately when they had to, they didn’t. Herbert also got the advantage of several short fields from our miscues. All of our drives were long drives.

So at the time of this writing, we still have no definite info on Andy Reid’s health. Hopefully it is nothing serious. If we could have won today, it would have been his 100th win as Chiefs Coach. If he’s back in the office and back in charge this week, maybe they’ll win #100 for him in Philly in front of the Eagles fans. That would be pretty cool. Kelce had another 100 yard receiving day to move him ahead of Gronk -at least for the time being- for most 100 yard games by a TE in NFL history. Also congrats to Fortson for his first TD as a Chief. Looked like Tony G with that big #88 climbing the ladder to pull down a TD. Wish he would have dunked it, who cares about the penalty.

So, here we are. In the AFC West Cellar. It can be a quick elevator ride from Penthouse to Outhouse. But it’s only three games. Plenty of time to turn things around. So I’m not going to freak out just yet. Here’s hoping Andy is going to be OK, and we’ll need to get ready for that trip to Philly next week. Everybody hang in there. Lots more football left to be played.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:53 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
:-)
Offs.

I guess the four T/Os didn't have anything to do with the outcome. No, it had to be Andy's play-calling, time management (wtf are you talking about? What "time management" issues?) and the defense (held LAC to just 77 total rushing yards, stopped LAC's offense 5 out of 9 scoring drives).

Moron.
^this^ Hitchens and the D played great today against the run, and the defense gave the offense a great start with 2 stops in the first two drives. Also, teams are taking chances they normally would not take on 4th Down because they are playing the Chiefs. We should have had a 14-0 lead and had them playing from behind all day... If not for turnovers, this is a double digit win... Period.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:55 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Don't know what's wrong. The team hasn't really looked the same since the Britt Reid accident. They really need to work on breaking the cover 2 defense as it's really giving the team fits. The defensive line isn't living up to it's salary either. Broken assignments, not securing the ball, dumb penalties.
We had 437 yards.. We destroyed the two high safeties today. We had 3 turnovers inside the 30 on first downs... We should have scored 45+, we are fine...
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:45 PM 09-26-2021
I was there today. Long drive down, longer drive home. I hate that.

It was just so shitty watching the Chiefs roll up and down the field only to turn the damn ball over 4 frickin times. Then the PI on HB was just an absolute bullshit call.

Meh. I did notice though that most of the fans around me were much calmer after this loss then what I have seen in the past. Of course there was a brawl in the stands, and when I was leaving in the concourse there was some kind of dust up that happened, so maybe the fans were surly as hell and I just didn't really see it during the game.

Dammit. I HATE watching losses at Arrowhead. I only make it down once a year. Really felt like last week's game would have been motivation, but they doubled down on stupid this week. If they can pull their heads out of their asses and pick up a nice road win next week, we'll all feel better. But right now...they Chiefs haven't looked like THE CHIEFS since last season...

Thanks as always George.
[Reply]
tk13 09:06 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Don't know what's wrong. The team hasn't really looked the same since the Britt Reid accident. They really need to work on breaking the cover 2 defense as it's really giving the team fits. The defensive line isn't living up to it's salary either. Broken assignments, not securing the ball, dumb penalties.
It's a real worry. Way too early to tell, but I hope the Brett Reid thing doesn't become to the Chiefs what losing Yordano did to the Royals. Completely different situations but it's a catastrophic off the field thing and it's pretty clearly affected the product on the field. There's no way they're going to go into a hole like the Royals did of course, but to win the Super Bowl you just have to be almost flawlessly sharp and locked in. This team is not anywhere close to that. They could very easily be 0-3.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 09:13 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Chiefs have the highest cap % on DL in the league yet we never see any production...
May as well sign Dana Stubblefield at this point.
[Reply]
srvy 09:42 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
:-)
Offs.

I guess the four T/Os didn't have anything to do with the outcome. No, it had to be Andy's play-calling, time management (wtf are you talking about? What "time management" issues?) and the defense (held LAC to just 77 total rushing yards, stopped LAC's offense 5 out of 9 scoring drives).

Moron.
Wondering the same thing.
[Reply]
otherstar 09:50 PM 09-26-2021
Nice write up for a game that was less than stellar.
[Reply]
srvy 09:55 PM 09-26-2021
Originally Posted by BazzFazz:
Right now I do not see a play off slot for KC. As a matter of fact we will probably finish no better than 3rd in the division. If we do manage a WC birth all games will tough and on the road. :-)

One thing that can improve their chances is to find a standout receiver. When teams take Hill and Kelce out of the game there is no game. :-)

Holding on to the ball is an issue and why this has cropped up is beyond me. The league knows we are having this issue and they will be punching at every opportunity so get used to it and toughen up. :-)

Everyone needs to get away from the myth that we have Mahomes therefore we win. :-)

[Reply]
Buehler445 10:03 PM 09-26-2021
Good read, thanks George.

I was pretty busy most of the first half, but managed to get on a tractor and stream the second half. So I appreciate your breakdown. The turnovers on 5 of 6 drives is a fucking horror show. :-)

IMO the defense played well enough to win. At least with this team as currently constructed. They absolutely shit the bed at the end, but if we're being honest, even if there is just 1 turnover, they don't need heroics at the end.

The offense was far more maddening IMO. We were getting what we wanted and then we'd puke the ball up.

I was pissed when the game was over so I stopped the tractor and plugged some varmints with the AR I had in my tractor. I was much more at peace after a little varmint violence.
[Reply]
bringbackmarty 11:26 PM 09-26-2021
I will not do an ill conceived yo momma style joke on this thread. Thanks for the "thangs"
[Reply]
wazu 11:41 PM 09-26-2021
Some truth bombs in this thread. Thanks George.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:07 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
“ I also think the league is starting to catch up to Mahomes. They've had three years to build a book on him, and he's going to need to realize these defensive coordinators are going to play him every week like Tampa Bay did in last years Super Bowl. He's a smart kid and will figure it out. No shame in either of the losses we've had. Could have easily won both games but turnovers spoiled both efforts.”

This will be interesting to watch over the season. The formula seems to be keep the Chiefs playmakers underneath and prevent the big plays. It almost feels sometimes like Mahomes isn’t comfortable dinking and dunking down the field. It’s just not in his DNA. I also don’t think he’s ever going to be the type of QB who just slides smoothly in the pocket like a Montana and Brady. It’s just not who he is. He still abandons the pocket early.

Let see how he adjusts over the season.

Teams have always been playing us that way. Nobody has played us man coverage in years. Ty always gets doubled ifnhe goes deep and Kelce takes a lot of hits from SS coming up.

Nobody has blitzed us since the Pats AFC title game either, for the most part
[Reply]
Rasputin 12:11 AM 09-27-2021
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
For those of us 'fortunate' to watch the game on TV, Mahomes tried to throw a no-look pass to Kemp. I get it, but had he actually just squared up and thrown the pass, the bounce off the shoulder pad doesnt happen. Doesnt mean KC necessarily scores that drive, but it was unnecessary. I dont like being 'that guy' but Im tiring of the unnecessary desire to make the 'sportscenter' play...just fucking execute.

Not me. I'd rather a quarterback be clever and when it works we are winning Super Bowls but your talking bout letting Mahomes be a Alex Smith and no thanks. We will win and die with Patrick Mahomes and let him make his HOF career like no other quarterback has ever done before.

Patrick will learn from mistakes but he practices no look passes so they work in games and he is brave enough to do them.
[Reply]
oldman 06:07 AM 09-27-2021
You make some valid points, George. Clark and his Haglund's hammy have got to go after this season. Eat the dead cap and move on. It's apparent that Jones is not a DE. Eat some BBQ and move back inside. Yeah, I don't know who will play DE either but 2 guys off the PS couldn't be much worse.
All of the turnovers came in Chargers territory. The 1st INT was at the 3. You can holler all you want that Kemp should have caught the ball but it was behind him and that's on PMII. Hill's fumble at the 14 wasn't an easy catch either. Both of those turnovers killed productive drives and the loss of at least 10 points. CEH had a good day, but trying not to pound his head into the turf, he reached out to catch himself and the ball comes out at the 33. Most likely the loss of another 3. You can argue that the 2nd INT was no worse than a punt, but it was. I would hope TT would have booted it more than 33 yards instead of them getting it on the Bolts 40.
It's clear to me that if you take away either Hill or Kelce, we become pretty predictable. Kemp isn't the answer, neither is Pringle, Hardman, or DRob. Run 3 or all 4 TEs in there and see if that makes a difference. Fortson demonstrated he has hands and even Bell and Gray each made a catch.
[Reply]
ILChief 06:14 AM 09-27-2021
Offense needs to just stop being careless. This is mainly Mahomes and Clyde. They stop with dumb turnovers and we will score 30 plus 95% is the time.

Defense is a disaster. We have to put Thornhill in place of Sorensen. That won’t fix everything but teams are going after him. I haven’t seen anyone say this but Sneed has fallen off after his great rookie year. Hopefully it’s just a sophomore slump and he rebounds. I liked what i saw from Baker. He seemed to be on his man in good coverage. That PI was BS. Hopefully Gay returning helps. Have to get some pass rush. Jones need to move back inside and Clark needs to give us something
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up