ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 53
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****All Things Weather 2021*****
displacedinMN 06:52 PM 01-31-2021
Talk about, report, and complain about weather here. It does not matter where you live. Talk about what you got. Snow, wind, hail, storms, virga, meatballs. Give information about what city is close to you. Pics are great too.

This map can be used by anyone and moved to your area. It is customizable for you and gives a lot of information.

Live storm chasers videos https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/
Windy radar map https://www.windy.com/
Live lightning map https://map.blitzortung.org/#1/52/8
[Reply]
PHOG 05:48 PM 02-11-2021
Welp, our forecast says a foot or more of snow starting Sunday evening, on top of the ice that's already here. Good times. :-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:59 PM 02-11-2021
JFC... and the real shitty thing is there's just no where to go. Not that I know how long that stretch goes on that highway, but I can't think of many highways like that in KC, except for 169 near downtown and maybe parts of 69 and 435 in OP, where there's very little shoulder and just no way to even attempt to get out of the way.
[Reply]
R Clark 06:10 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
edave-that should come with a Watch at your own risk warning. I did. just gross.

ice sucks. I also assume Tx does not do salt.
I think they do to an extent, they don’t get ice often in DFW but often enough that they should know not to drive like normal conditions
[Reply]
Holladay 07:28 PM 02-11-2021
From what I read, the accidents occurred on a bridge which freezes faster. Whenever I cross a bridge in those conditions, I do not press the brake. Might not have mattered.

I am not sure of the whole situation, but this did occur in TX, where people don't know how to drive on snow or ice. I am not sure if it would mattered. Crazy Germans drive on the Autobahn in dense fog at eleventy billion miles an hour and wonder why there are pile ups.
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:31 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by PHOG:
Welp, our forecast says a foot or more of snow starting Sunday evening, on top of the ice that's already here. Good times. :-)
Glad I'm not somewhere out there
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:41 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Holladay:
From what I read, the accidents occurred on a bridge which freezes faster. Whenever I cross a bridge in those conditions, I do not press the brake. Might not have mattered.

I am not sure of the whole situation, but this did occur in TX, where people don't know how to drive on snow or ice. I am not sure if it would mattered. Crazy Germans drive on the Autobahn in dense fog at eleventy billion miles an hour and wonder why there are pile ups.
When we went down there, we were on the bridge next to the lake south of Denton. There was a Ford LTD on the front side of the bridge facing me. He had spun completely around on the bridge and was driving the wrong way on the interstate.
[Reply]
PHOG 07:44 PM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Glad I'm not somewhere out there
Oh, sorry. Oklahoma. :-)
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:27 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by PHOG:
Oh, sorry. Oklahoma. :-)
I WILL be there the first week of April paddlefishing however!
[Reply]
RedRaider56 08:57 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
edave-that should come with a Watch at your own risk warning. I did. just gross.

ice sucks. I also assume Tx does not do salt.
Texas does not salt. TxDoT typically uses either sand or sprays deicing fluid on bridges and overpasses.
Speculation is that this particular bridge was not properly treated with the deicing fluid. Time will tell.
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:39 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Texas does not salt. TxDoT typically uses either sand or sprays deicing fluid on bridges and overpasses.
Speculation is that this particular bridge was not properly treated with the deicing fluid. Time will tell.
If it's the same shit they use here, it makes it worse rather than better, at least with snow on it.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:16 AM 02-12-2021
Followed a salt truck into work this morning.

It was -16. Salt rarely works and the exhaust water from cars freezes on the highway making it very slick..
[Reply]
PHOG 11:31 AM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
I WILL be there the first week of April paddlefishing however!
We may be thawed out by then. :-)
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:37 PM 02-12-2021
Just hope we are. Gotta tow a boat down there
[Reply]
wazu 12:51 PM 02-12-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
This is a full-on "Faces of Death" style horror movie.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:26 PM 02-12-2021
This was this morning. We always talk that southerners do not know how to drive in the snow. But many here do not take ice seriously or don't try.

Crashes reported throughout the metro https://t.co/HSSDmxWppb

— KSTP (@KSTP) February 12, 2021

If he would have gone off, he would have died. He is on a bridge
[Reply]
Page 9 of 53
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up