ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 68 of 3903
« First < 18586465666768 69707172781181685681068 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 08:16 PM 03-07-2020
Random question for discussion. Obviously pe pure speculation.

If every American citizen was given a test today. How many would test positive for the virus?
[Reply]
BWillie 08:17 PM 03-07-2020
Trump, Sanders, or Biden.one of those fuckers is going to catch it.

Since they are fucking an ancient. They'll have a 1 out of 7 chance of dying.

Money doesn't seem to help.
[Reply]
Donger 08:17 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Fair enough. But the Chinese probably did as good of a job attempting to contain it than any other country would have because they are communist. The virus has actually been reduced because of the measures they took.
Their behavior caused this outbreak, and it has others. Maybe we should send them a few million tons of American beef jerky, so this doesn't happen again.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:18 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Random question for discussion. Obviously pe pure speculation.

If every American citizen was given a test today. How many would test positive for the virus?
My best guess....15,000.

It will be 200,000 by April 1.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:20 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Their behavior caused this outbreak, and it has others. Maybe we should send them a few million tons of American beef jerky, so this doesn't happen again.
Well, Kansas killed 100 million people with the Spanish Flu of 1918 and we dropped two atomic bombs on Japan so I guess we are even
[Reply]
Rausch 08:22 PM 03-07-2020
People fear the unknown. It's basic human instinct.

I'm somewhat afraid of this, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. I'm also not out buying every mask, bottle of hand sanitizer, and ****ing roll of toilet paper at Wal-Mart.
I'm not worried about the virus killing people I'm worried about people.

Forget the fatalities, if just 20% of the work force can't report that's a huge slow down. Everything takes longer. Everyone works more, less sleep, more exposure.

Law enforcement already sleeps little and works sick. They get hit hard and things can get worse at a bad time...
[Reply]
TLO 08:23 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
My side hustle revolves around medical conventions. I've done this work for seventeen years, for dozens of conventions in major cities all over the US. Last Friday something happened that I had never seen before: following recent reports by the CDC and the World Health Organization, HIMSS canceled their 2020 convention in Orlando.

Now you can talk about political weaponization of this virus by either side of the Dem/rep.aisle, or about the media panicking the public, but this cancellation makes it obvious to me that this is a real thing. Events with 45000 registered attendees do not cancel for something that's no worse than the flu. This isn't the first event to be cancelled in the last week, either, and I don't expect it to be the last.. But whatever else happens, I've never seen a convention cancelled for any reason until now. Not SARS or MERS or bird flu or zika or anything else.

Interesting side.note: President Trump was scheduled to speak about the coronavirus at the convention.
I imagine this group of 45,000 people would include folks from all over the country, if not all over the world.

It's smart business to not have large gatherings with people from all over the world right now.

I'm all for taking as many precautions as possible.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:24 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
The wife and I are scheduled to go to PCB Florida next week. The only state between here and there that has the virus is Tennessee and then of course Florida. We will stay at Graceland in Memphis and then the Renaissance Hotel in Montgomery Alabama. When we get to PCB we'll be staying in a beach side condo. Most of this is already paid for so if we cancel our trip we're going to be out a lot of money. I'm looking everyday for new outbreaks as I try and decide what to do. The wife has COPD. Should we stay or do we go?
even if there is nothing in the area at the time, if at all possible reschedule. I’m sure you are aware with COPD, getting a virus can lead to hospitalizations. I’d reschedule if possible.

Sure you could pick it up going to your local grocery store. But, the difference is that locally you can have your doctor take care of her. Knows her current and past physical conditions. Knows her best to determine when to pull the panic lever on hospitalization.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:26 PM 03-07-2020
I imagine this group of 45,000 people would include folks from all over the country, if not all over the world.

It's smart business to not have large gatherings with people from all over the world right now.

I'm all for taking as many precautions as possible.
Big international turnout...

We also had two clients pull out before it was cancelled, one of them Intel. So the writing was on the wall. But I was still surprised HIMSS pulled the plug.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:31 PM 03-07-2020
Another example of the hysteria/panicked-reaction being much worse than the danger of the actual virus...

Austin, Texas despite not having a single confirmed case of COVID-19 declared a state of emergency yesterday and cancelled SXSW and its $330 million+ annual local economic impact.

That is beyond stupid.
[Reply]
Rausch 08:32 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
My best guess....15,000.

It will be 200,000 by April 1.
The "experts" and opinions are all over.

A woman in this vid thinks it'll hit 1 million by the end of april.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOedUmBp1XU

This gal also states smokers have a much higher risk due to higher "ACE2." I won't pretend to know what it is only that smokers have more and that's bad. The more the ACE2 receptors, the higher the chance of the Coronavirus adhering to a smoker’s lungs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jJTGdZiNdQ
[Reply]
BWillie 08:32 PM 03-07-2020
They better not cancel the World Series of Poker.

This is very bad for poker.

I hope Covid 19 doesn't kill to many old ppl because thats the only way I really make money.
[Reply]
Rausch 08:33 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Another example of the hysteria/panicked-reaction being much worse than the danger of the actual virus...

Austin, Texas despite not having a single confirmed case of COVID-19 declared a state of emergency yesterday and cancelled SXSW and its $330 million+ annual local economic impact.

That is beyond stupid.
Well, we can't really test for it nation wide and you can pass it without symptoms for like 3 weeks. I don't blame people for avoiding huge gatherings...
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:39 PM 03-07-2020
I'm not sure why anybody would think any of these cancellations are just panicked reactions.

But sure, keep beating that "there's nothing to see here!" drum. Maybe if you try hard enough you'll eventually will it into reality despite what the CDC and WHO are saying.
[Reply]
tk13 08:39 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:

That is beyond stupid.
I would imagine more is coming. Events cancelled, movies pushed back, sporting events with no crowds.

I'm someone who thinks the death rate is probably being overblown because more people probably have it than what the numbers say. But that said, by all accounts this thing appears to be very, very contagious. Look at how easy this thing is blowing through cruise ships, nursing homes, etc. There is going to come a point where someone is going to have to put the foot down, and given the way people are that point probably won't come until this thing has really done some damage, either to people or the economy.

You can have this thing for weeks and not know it, and still pass it on to other people during that time. The way it's going there's really no way to stop it except to stay home.
[Reply]
Page 68 of 3903
« First < 18586465666768 69707172781181685681068 > Last »
Up