Page 398 of 934
« First < 298348388394395396397398 399400401402408448498898 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:51 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Does anyone mind if I talk about options trading in here? I understand if it's seen as outside the purpose of this thread.

Anyway, I've just started out trying my hand at it, and I apparently need to work on my timing a bit. I bought some WMT calls for $214, and sold them yesterday for $346. I was pretty happy with my 62% profit in a few days.

Today, WMT is up more so I thought I'd check just to see what could have been (probably a bad idea). My WMT options would be worth $1260 today.
Work your system. DO NOT see what would have happened if you operated outside of your system. That leads to undisciplined trading.

At 62%, do your thing man.
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:55 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
I'm always slightly impressed with people that can effectively do options trading. I suck at it. I do have WMT stock though and it's done quite well.

Your 62% profit is nothing to sneeze at. Well done.
I'm very new at it, so it remains to be seen if I can do it effectively. So far, I'm only doing it with companies I trust (AMD, AAPL, MSFT, WMT, etc), and I'm doing calls about 3 weeks out. I buy dips, figuring that a company like Microsoft will go up sometime in the next 3 weeks, even if it isn't immediately.

So far, I've been at it for about a month and I've made about $900, while only investing about $1,000 at a time. If it does turn out to be an effective strategy, I'll start using more of my money for it.
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:58 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Work your system. DO NOT see what would have happened if you operated outside of your system. That leads to undisciplined trading.

At 62%, do your thing man.
I'm still figuring out my system, so I figure more info doesn't hurt. However, if the exact same thing happened again I would still sell at 62%.
[Reply]
scho63 06:09 PM 08-28-2020
90% of pure options TRADERS lose money.

Most professional options traders are using them as hedges for their portfolio or an individual stock
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:47 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:

Most professional options traders are using them as hedges for their portfolio or an individual stock
That's why I just stick with buying and selling the stock. I only lose 70-80% of the time.
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:26 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:

Hopefully I’m in the 10%.
[Reply]
Stewie 01:10 PM 08-29-2020
Do you do covered calls? You can get blindsided in a hurry unless you're constantly watching your trades.
[Reply]
MagicHef 03:15 PM 08-29-2020
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Do you do covered calls? You can get blindsided in a hurry unless you're constantly watching your trades.
Not fully covered, I don’t own 100 shares of each, but I do own some. However, I am constantly watching.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:25 PM 08-29-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Hopefully I’m in the 10%.
I think the odds are in your favor.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:12 PM 08-30-2020
So , is this a good strategy???

Find mutual funds that have a really good return over the last 1 year/ 3 year period.

Pull up their portfolio and look at their top holdings

Invest in their top three since they are driving the return they're getting.

For example : ARKW which is actually an ETF is 62% 1 year and 41% 3 years

Their top 3 holdings are TSLA, SQ, ROKU

All have blown away the market over the last year.

Thoughts?
[Reply]
neech 01:23 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:

Find mutual funds that have a really good return over the last 1 year/ 3 year period.

Thoughts?
I think its a sound strategy, opposite of the dogs of the Dow in a way.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:44 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:

Thoughts?

It seems kind of brilliant to me.

I always fight the urge to assume that things will even out, and so I should buy the laggards since they'll eventually catch up. But it seems like the overperforming stocks will overperform for a decade or more without slowing down.
[Reply]
MagicHef 01:54 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

I always fight the urge to assume that things will even out, and so I should buy the laggards since they'll eventually catch up. But it seems like the overperforming stocks will overperform for a decade or more without slowing down.
I agree. I've been going through my stocks lately and selling off the lagging ones and buying more of the ones that have done well. It's always tempting to think that the lagging ones are just a few days away from making more money, but it makes it pretty clear if I look at what I'd have now if I had made the switch a month or two ago.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:56 PM 08-30-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

Yeah , there's some truth to riding the winners.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:25 PM 08-30-2020
My thought is also that if these funds are investing heavily in a certain stock then they are expecting it to do well
[Reply]
Page 398 of 934
« First < 298348388394395396397398 399400401402408448498898 > Last »
Up