< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
Realbaddog 11:13 AM 10-14-2021
Found this article, interesting read:

The New Strategy to Slow Down Patrick Mahomes: Don’t Blitz
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:35 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I knew someone would beat me to it. What teams are doing is nearly identical to how defenses limited Peyton.

I’ve wondered if a no huddle with Hill, Gordon, Kelce, Gray and Williams would allow us top level versatility that every skill position can split out wide or inline block for runs to give us more beef to overload the defenses trying to load up with DBs to force us to kill them with a thousand cuts.

Ok, then here’s a few 300-360 pounders to pile drive those DBs into submission.
Maybe it limited Peyton, but it sure as shit isn't limiting Mahomes.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 03:43 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Yeah, they may be slowing us down and all, but they're not stopping us. We are stopping ourselves with guys uncharacteristically fumbling and receivers tipping up catchable balls for ints.

We are scoring more points per drive than we did in 2018 and that's even with us doubling our turnover% from that year. We lead the league in #of plays per drive, time per drive, yards per drive, and points per drive. This is possibly the best offense in league history without the flukey turnover%. No way we continue to turn the ball over +20% of the time.

That's against the 1st, 11th, 13th, 15th, and 21st ranked defenses by PPG.

We've punted a grand total of 8 times in 5 games. We are on pace for 27 punts in 17, we punted 52 times in 16 games last year. The record for least punts in a 16 game season is 34 and it's the only time a team has punted less than 40.times in a season.

I just have to say, watch out NFL. A beast is about to be released.
This. The turnovers fix everything on both sides of the ball. If we score on the drives that we uncharacteristically turned the ball over we have a better record, and in turn it puts the opposing offense in more of a bind, because they’re slowing the game down by making us run, but then limiting their own possessions. Although the red carpet defense my be just bad enough to still make it a game at the end. We are gonna stop the turnovers, and it’s gonna lead us into the playoffs.
[Reply]
DRM08 03:55 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I hear you, and agree... just not sure old dog Andy is open to learning any new tricks in that regard
I agree 100%. Honestly it hurts the offense. If Mahomes knew that he didn't have to get all the yardage on 3rd and 8, suddenly it frees him up...which is exactly what I think is happening with some of the other QB's around the league who have more aggressive coaches on 4th and short.

But we are stuck with it until Reid either decides to change his approach in a major way, or he retires and they replace him with a much younger coach.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 04:13 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Mahomes is our 2nd leading rusher with 153 yds lol. No one respects our running game or CEH. Are you telling me if we had King Henry they would still sit back in a 2 deep look? I don't buy that at all.
They would until they saw they HAD to move out of it. If we had Henry is a much different thing than having CEH back there. I loved the pick when we made it, and I was thinking they would use him a lot in the short passing game, but he’s just too slow in the running game to exploit the 2 deep look. Hoping one of the current 3 can make teams pay for those light boxes.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 04:17 PM 10-14-2021
You morons realize the Chiefs are basically moving the ball at will right? The only thing stopping them on offense is fluke turnovers. The defense on the other hand...
[Reply]
stevieray 04:26 PM 10-14-2021
The "new" strategy?

:-)

Tells you all you need to know.

Dude is owning NFL records in a REALLY short time span and you think....wait for it...

You're going to slow him down?

:-)
[Reply]
JakeF 04:28 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
You morons realize the Chiefs are basically moving the ball at will right? The only thing stopping them on offense is fluke turnovers. The defense on the other hand...
That's what Defenses are banking on. Stop Hill from catching 40 touchdown passes, let the Chiefs dink,dunk, and run the ball all they want. They will make a mistake eventually and it will cost them. The chiefs crappy defense means our offense will be even more anxious about scoring, and that will lead to more mistakes.

Fluke turnovers or turnovers caused by the scheme of the opposing teams?

15 play drive = turnover, 6 play drive = touchdown.

Consistently taking double the number of plays to score means more mistakes.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:46 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
Andy is not particularly good with clock management. Hurry-up/2-minute drill offenses compress your decision-making window and apply temporal pressure. In other words, shit overwhelms him...or at least that is what it seems like from past experience.

He needs to give PM2 more control of the offense. Hand him the reigns on a few series...see how he handles it. Let him run an up-tempo offense when unexpected, i.e. in the middle of a quarter, not just at the end or when trailing.
The 49ers had completely put the clamps on Patrick - and had a defense that just obliterated Rodgers the week before.

Patrick blew them to hell the moment the hurry up started. No idea why Andy won’t try that for a full game.
[Reply]
suzzer99 04:49 PM 10-14-2021
I'd love to see hurry up and spread the whole game. Just YOLO it.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 04:50 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
That's what Defenses are banking on. Stop Hill from catching 40 touchdown passes, let the Chiefs dink,dunk, and run the ball all they want. They will make a mistake eventually and it will cost them. The chiefs crappy defense means our offense will be even more anxious about scoring, and that will lead to more mistakes.

Fluke turnovers or turnovers caused by the scheme of the opposing teams?

15 play drive = turnover, 6 play drive = touchdown.

Consistently taking double the number of plays to score means more mistakes.
This is actually correct...and we've been a bit unlucky and a bit irresponsible with the ball. Let Patrick flee the pocket and play backyard football a bit more and long TD plays will return and defenses will wear down quicker, regardless of coverage. He's aces when he's improvising, as many have said in previous threads. I just hope all this discipline to stay in the pocket will pay off and he will learn that approach (for when he needs it) and that they begin to release him to be PM2 and leave the pocket more as the season moves forward.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 05:04 PM 10-14-2021
I'm fairly certain an opposing D does not need much of a scheme when the Chiefs have given away the pigskin 11 times over 5 games............
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 05:39 PM 10-14-2021
They did this to Manning and the Brady/Moss Patriots for years.

It’s not particularly effective, but it’s the lesser of two evils.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:45 PM 10-14-2021

The #chiefs are 5th in scoring, 4th in total offense, 7th in rushing, 5th in passing, 1st on third down, 4th in sacks allowed, 6th in redzone, 5th in yards per play.

Tied for last in the NFL in turnovers.

Didn’t see that coming 5 games in.

— James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) October 14, 2021

[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 06:23 PM 10-14-2021
Bring back Alex Smith to teach Mahomes how to matriculate the ball down the field.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 06:33 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
Bring back Alex Smith to teach Mahomes how to matriculate the ball down the field.
Don't laugh that may happen considering they still talk to each other
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up