ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3382 of 3903
« First < 2382288232823332337233783379338033813382 33833384338533863392343234823882 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 10:22 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
67 counties doing their own thing here in Florida. My county tried to use an outlook calendar to book 65+ citizens to get the vaccine. Crashed immediately. Never returned. Now you call a number to make a reservation. Average 7.5 hour wait. End of business day, people just are dropped off the queue. Sorry, try again tomorrow.

They just don't have the staff to do this and the covid testing and the other "normal" health issues. No money from the state to increase staff, even temporarily is forthcoming. No attempt to ask for volunteers.
We have a plethora of volunteers willing to administer the vaccine around here, but we have no vaccine to give. A few of our local pharmacies have said, "we'll help out - just tell us where to go"

Was chatting with my Mom last night and she's heard that Walgreens and CVS are completely overwhelmed with the amount of vaccine they have. They simply don't have the man power to distribute what they've been given to these LTC facilities.
[Reply]
stumppy 10:25 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
67 counties doing their own thing here in Florida. My county tried to use an outlook calendar to book 65+ citizens to get the vaccine. Crashed immediately. Never returned. Now you call a number to make a reservation. Average 7.5 hour wait. End of business day, people just are dropped off the queue. Sorry, try again tomorrow.

They just don't have the staff to do this and the covid testing and the other "normal" health issues. No money from the state to increase staff, even temporarily is forthcoming. No attempt to ask for volunteers.
When you have a clown running the show you end up with a circus.
[Reply]
Donger 10:32 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
We have a plethora

[Reply]
SupDock 10:33 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Why'd you leave off this?

And the shortage of oxygen, given the high number of Covid-19 patients, has also pressured the system to conserve supply.

"Given the acute need to conserve oxygen, effective immediately, EMS should only administer supplemental oxygen to patients with oxygen saturation below 90%," EMS said in a memo to ambulance crews Monday.
Why would you give oxygen to a patient whose oxygen level isn't that low?
At this level, a patient wouldn't meet criteria for home oxygen, and wouldn't meet criteria for admission based on oxygen status.

Basically this is saying, "Make sure that patients who you are giving oxygen to actually need oxygen"
[Reply]
Donger 10:37 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by SupDock:
Why would you give oxygen to a patient whose oxygen level isn't low?
At this level, a patient wouldn't meet criteria for home oxygen, and wouldn't meet criteria for admission based on oxygen status.

Basically this is saying, "Make sure that patients who you are giving oxygen to actually need oxygen"
My understanding is that normal O2 saturation is 96 to 98%, and that anything lower than 90% is a dangerous condition which requires oxygen.

Is that not correct?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:39 AM 01-05-2021
My understanding is that normal O2 saturation is 96 to 98%, and that anything lower than 90% is a dangerous condition which requires oxygen.

Is that not correct?
Eh, kind of. I regularly hang around 93-95%, and my doctor has never indicated that's an issue.
[Reply]
Donger 10:40 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Eh, kind of. I regularly hang around 93-95%, and my doctor has never indicated that's an issue.
It's just the altitude, man...
[Reply]
loochy 10:41 AM 01-05-2021
Why would you give oxygen to a patient whose oxygen level isn't that low?

They'll give you oxygen to make you feel better. Under 95 you'll start feeling tired and your thoughts won't be as clear as they should be. It's not necessarily dangerous, though, until you are down under 90.
[Reply]
loochy 10:41 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:

Wow. Do you permanently feel like ass?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:42 AM 01-05-2021
It's just the altitude, man...
I've never asked, but I do believe that has an impact.
[Reply]
SupDock 10:43 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
They'll give you oxygen to make you feel better. Under 95 you'll start feeling tired and your thoughts won't be as clear as they should be. It's not necessarily dangerous, though, until you are down under 90.
Sure, comfort oxygen.

If we are at a time of oxygen conservation, they are telling providers not to give comfort oxygen.

You are correct, donger, below 90 we generally give oxygen

A lot of people saturate normally in the low '90s due to chronic conditions. it varies based on insurance, but insurance won't even pay for home oxygen unless you are 90 or less either with rest or exertion

if you were in the emergency department with saturations below 90, and this persists, you will generally qualify for admission for oxygen requirement

People are regularly discharged from the ER with oxygen and the low 90s

Granted, if someone is showing visible signs of respiratory distress but normoxic, they will often get supplemental oxygen.

I'm guessing this refers to comfortable appearing patients with oxygen levels that are not below 90

Interestingly, we used to routinely give every patient with a heart attack oxygen, but data has shown that people with normal oxygen who are given supplemental oxygen have worse outcome

https://www.ebmconsult.com/articles/...-infarction-mi
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:44 AM 01-05-2021

Per CDC, COVID vaccines looking impressively safe.

Through Dec 22, after nearly 1 million doses, only 307 ED visits, almost all of them for minor symptoms.

#1: dizziness pic.twitter.com/jys1N0g15N

— David Juurlink (@DavidJuurlink) January 5, 2021

[Reply]
Marcellus 10:46 AM 01-05-2021
Sure, comfort oxygen.

If we are at a time of oxygen conservation, they are telling providers not to give comfort oxygen.

You are correct, donger, below 90 we generally give oxygen

A lot of people saturate normally in the low '90s due to chronic conditions. it varies based on insurance, but insurance won't even pay for home oxygen unless you are 90 or less either with rest or exertion

if you were in the emergency department with saturations below 90, and this persists, you will generally qualify for admission for oxygen requirement

People are regularly discharged from the ER with oxygen and the low 90s
Yea but that doesn't sound nearly as scary as "EMTs directed to let people die in the streets due to no comfort oxygen available!"
[Reply]
DaFace 10:46 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
Wow. Do you permanently feel like ass?
Nah. As Donger alluded to, I think it's just an altitude thing. There's a reason people get winded at altitude more quickly. But you do get used to it.
[Reply]
Go Royals 10:47 AM 01-05-2021
Got stuck this morning. No third arms or anything crazy yet
[Reply]
Page 3382 of 3903
« First < 2382288232823332337233783379338033813382 33833384338533863392343234823882 > Last »
Up