ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Nzoner's Game Room>Whoo Hoo, electric cars?
DaFace 09:20 AM 11-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Hmmm, 75 Amp service??? Is that the reason most come with a 120 volt charging system? That is some info that appears incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
The entire OP is garbage. Can you charge a Tesla at 75 amps if your home supports it? Sure. Do you have to? No. My home charger goes at 30 amps, and that's more than enough for an overnight charge, though it might be a little tighter with a long-range Tesla. (And yes, you can charge on a 120v system. It's just slower.)

And I have no idea what the "our neighborhoods can't handle it" is getting at.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 01:16 PM 11-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The entire OP is garbage. Can you charge a Tesla at 75 amps if your home supports it? Sure. Do you have to? No. My home charger goes at 30 amps, and that's more than enough for an overnight charge, though it might be a little tighter with a long-range Tesla. (And yes, you can charge on a 120v system. It's just slower.)

And I have no idea what the "our neighborhoods can't handle it" is getting at.
I have some experience with this professionally, I work in HVAC & we've had a lot of people over the years look at switching from gas to electric heat. I've had several different people be told by their electric provider that the necessary switch from a 100 amp to a 200 amp service in 1 house would make the existing transformer overloaded & they would have to pay to replace it at about $25,000. Even assuming everyone can get by with a 30 amp charger, if you have 2 or 3 drivers, that's 60/90 amps just for your cars. That's going to require everyone with a 100 amp service to switch to 200. And most all electric houses will have to go to a 320 or 400 amp service.

Again in some areas 1 or 2 houses making this type of an upgrade is too much for the existing equipment to handle.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:43 PM 11-26-2021
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
I have some experience with this professionally, I work in HVAC & we've had a lot of people over the years look at switching from gas to electric heat. I've had several different people be told by their electric provider that the necessary switch from a 100 amp to a 200 amp service in 1 house would make the existing transformer overloaded & they would have to pay to replace it at about $25,000. Even assuming everyone can get by with a 30 amp charger, if you have 2 or 3 drivers, that's 60/90 amps just for your cars. That's going to require everyone with a 100 amp service to switch to 200. And most all electric houses will have to go to a 320 or 400 amp service.

Again in some areas 1 or 2 houses making this type of an upgrade is too much for the existing equipment to handle.
I have two cars on 150 amp service fwiw. Unless you're driving hundreds miles every day, it's not that hard to just charge one at a time. But obviously it's worth checking with an electrician before you take the plunge.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 02:12 PM 11-26-2021
I have two cars on 150 amp service fwiw. Unless you're driving hundreds miles every day, it's not that hard to just charge one at a time. But obviously it's worth checking with an electrician before you take the plunge.
Yeah you're not going to necessarily have to charge both at the same time, but I would think you'd want to have the capacity to do it just in case. Because when both people happen to use their vehicles a lot on the same day not being able to charge at the same time could mean one person doesn't get the charge they need to make their commute the next day. Like most things electrical, you have to prepare for the worst case scenario. I mean it's not very often that your oven, water heater, AC & refrigerator all run at the same time, but you have to be set up just in case they do.

But my point was more to the infrastructure than any one person. If several houses in any given neighborhood even upgrade from 100 amp service to 150 can be too much for our current power grid. So wholesale changing to electric vehicles is going to require huge upgrades to the power grid.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 02:01 PM 11-26-2021
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe:
I have some experience with this professionally, I work in HVAC & we've had a lot of people over the years look at switching from gas to electric heat. I've had several different people be told by their electric provider that the necessary switch from a 100 amp to a 200 amp service in 1 house would make the existing transformer overloaded & they would have to pay to replace it at about $25,000.
Electric heat is that much bigger load than an air conditioner? And I take it this isn't a heat pump?
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 02:32 PM 11-26-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Electric heat is that much bigger load than an air conditioner? And I take it this isn't a heat pump?
Yes electric heat is much bigger load than an AC. A middle sized modern residential AC unit (3 tons) will draw about 15-20 amps. A middle sized electric furnace (15 kw) will draw about 70-75 amps. Heat pumps will draw the exact same amount as the equivalent AC, but will have to have some form of backup heat in the cold months anywhere North of Texas.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:37 PM 11-25-2021
I get the fuel tax angle, but did anybody ever find out/post how much on average it costs to take a Tesla from almost no charge to being fully charged? $1, $2, $10, $30?

A lot of variable in that, but as a person interested in an electric truck some day it's something that should be out there.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:59 PM 11-25-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I get the fuel tax angle, but did anybody ever find out/post how much on average it costs to take a Tesla from almost no charge to being fully charged? $1, $2, $10, $30?

A lot of variable in that, but as a person interested in an electric truck some day it's something that should be out there.
Depends on the battery capacity and your electric rates, but it would be in the $10 range.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:05 PM 11-25-2021
Depends on the battery capacity and your electric rates, but it would be in the $10 range.
Cool. That's not bad.

Thank you.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:48 PM 11-25-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Cool. That's not bad.

Thank you.
Certainly a truck with a big battery would be more than that (probably still just in the $15-$20 range, though).
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:11 AM 11-26-2021
Certainly a truck with a big battery would be more than that (probably still just in the $15-$20 range, though).
Agree, but my lifestyle sort of requires a truck and, fair being fair, it takes a lot more to fill my truck than most people pay to fill their cars. I'm still very interested and it sounds like the technology to make my daily ride (still a truck) is about to happen. And that's awesome. Honestly, I don't mind having both. Gas for longer runs (pulling a trailer from KC to St. Louis and back all in the same day), an electric truck for "in the KC area" runs.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:06 PM 11-25-2021
Found this too:

https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/ho...ctric-vehicles
[Reply]
-King- 11:58 PM 11-25-2021
You'd think we were all going to be forced to get an electric car next week the way people are complaining about issues that haven't been addressed yet
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:49 AM 11-26-2021
Actually I think it has been a pretty interesting and timely discussion. Some good information
[Reply]
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Up