ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>Cell Phones? What do you have ?
ROYC75 09:33 PM 05-09-2022
I have not bought a cell phone, probably 10=12 years now. I know tech has changed so much, each year a better phone supposedly comes out. It's time to upgrade and since I really have not been keeping up with phones , what is considered a good deal on a refurbished android?

I recall liking a Samsung 8 a while back and almost pulled the string on it. So is that a good phone? Is there a better android that I could buy refurbished. I want to purchase it outright and not be locked into a contract with AT & T.

What say you CP ?
What kind do you have ?
What do you like about it?

You get to be my salesman, give your sales pitch!
[Reply]
Fish 09:55 PM 05-09-2022
Hi Roy!

If you're not very tech savvy, I'd recommend an iPhone that's a few gens back from current. Like the iPhone X, iPhone 11. You might find some good deals there.

If you're really wanting an Android, I'd recommend the Galaxy S10, or a really good step up the Galaxy S20.

Those should be about the oldest models you should be considering, in my opinion.

Buying the phone outright isn't necessarily what determines your contract length. And don't think that you need to get an old refurbished phone to get a deal. ATT like other providers is offering a deal where if you have any old Samsung phone, regardless of model or condition, you can trade it in for a brand new S22 for free. You can also do the same for any old iPhone, but I think that's capped at a $700 trade in credit. It's a really good time to upgrade your phone if you have an old one to trade in.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 06:16 AM 05-10-2022
If you want an Android go Google Pixel. Samsung makes great phones but their crappy software on top of Android slows down over time. It gets super annoying. You won't have that problem with the Pixels.

BTW, the Pixel phones are relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to Apple (overpriced, IMO). You can get a NEW one for less than $500 and it will have a great camera, long battery life, and all the apps you would ever want/need. Google Pixel
[Reply]
scho63 07:10 AM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Hi Roy!

If you're not very tech savvy, I'd recommend an iPhone that's a few gens back from current. Like the iPhone X, iPhone 11. You might find some good deals there.

If you're really wanting an Android, I'd recommend the Galaxy S10, or a really good step up the Galaxy S20.

Those should be about the oldest models you should be considering, in my opinion.

Buying the phone outright isn't necessarily what determines your contract length. And don't think that you need to get an old refurbished phone to get a deal. ATT like other providers is offering a deal where if you have any old Samsung phone, regardless of model or condition, you can trade it in for a brand new S22 for free. You can also do the same for any old iPhone, but I think that's capped at a $700 trade in credit. It's a really good time to upgrade your phone if you have an old one to trade in.
You would make a horrible sales person.

Do you realize you're pitching a young persons phone to a guy who hasn't changed his phone in 10-12 years and is in his 60's ?

Roy, buy yourself a cheap, easy to use smart phone you can buy from your current provider. No need to buy the iPhoneX -waste of money

Just figure out what you want to actually do on your phone.

Maybe a Samsung, LG or other phone that is last year's model. They plunge in price after a year so you can get a great deal.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:18 AM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:

Do you realize you're pitching a young persons phone to a guy who hasn't changed his phone in 10-12 years and is in his 60's ?

Roy, buy yourself a cheap, easy to use smart phone you can buy from your current provider. No need to buy the iPhoneX -waste of money

Maybe a Samsung, LG or other phone that is last year's model. They plunge in price after a year so you can get a great deal.
I'd disagree. iPhone is the easiest to learn. My dad is 68 and has rolled through cell phones regularly and has a cheap ass Samsung A11 or some shit, and it is a colossal pain in the ass for him to run.

An iPhoneX is what 3 years old? ought to be pretty cheap.
[Reply]
Fish 10:32 AM 05-10-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:

Young person's phone? LOL. OK Boomer. There's zero benefit to getting an older phone just for the sake of getting an older phone. All you'd be doing is forcing yourself to do the same things on older slower hardware. The fact is, the iPhone is the easiest to use for someone who's not tech savvy.

There's not a ton of old phone available from providers right now. Which is why they're doing trade-in promotions that are worth so much. If you have an old Android/iPhone to trade in regardless of condition, they'll essentially give you a new model phone. That's the best value at the moment.
[Reply]
Snica 07:50 PM 05-10-2022
Iphone SE
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:06 PM 05-10-2022
on my 3rd or 4th Samsung. Never had an issue.
[Reply]
notorious 08:14 PM 05-10-2022

[Reply]
ROYC75 08:42 PM 05-10-2022
I know nothing about iPhones but just now found out that I can't use my SDcard that has over 3000 songs on it!

That really sucks, I can't play my music I have saved and enjoy listening too!
[Reply]
jd1020 05:54 AM 05-11-2022
I've always been a bang for my buck shopper and I can't talk myself into buying a $1000 phone. That is completely insane to me.

If I were buying a phone today I would probably get that Asus Zenfone 8 for $500-600, but it only works on GSM so no Verizon/Sprint.
[Reply]
scho63 06:56 AM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
I know nothing about iPhones but just now found out that I can't use my SDcard that has over 3000 songs on it!

Can you download or transfer all the songs to the Cloud or to your computer with a USB connector? That will work
[Reply]
EPodolak 08:53 AM 05-11-2022
Haven't updated my phone since ...?

It's old with a terrible camera, a single digit iPhone version I can tell you. When I do upgrade here soon it will be to an 11 or 12 from ebay most likely, if they come in the big size I like.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:24 PM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Young person's phone? LOL. OK Boomer. There's zero benefit to getting an older phone just for the sake of getting an older phone. All you'd be doing is forcing yourself to do the same things on older slower hardware. The fact is, the iPhone is the easiest to use for someone who's not tech savvy.

There's not a ton of old phone available from providers right now. Which is why they're doing trade-in promotions that are worth so much. If you have an old Android/iPhone to trade in regardless of condition, they'll essentially give you a new model phone. That's the best value at the moment.
Yeah but for an older gentleman who's been using Android his whole life?

Iphone is confusing as all fuck if you're not an apple user.

If dude has been using Android his whole life, stick to that.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:27 PM 05-11-2022
Originally Posted by ROYC75:

If you've never used an iphone before then just stay away from it. I don't care what these nerds say.

Often times these techy guys fall in love with their brand loyalty and spend their time telling you why its so great and you won't have any problems. Rarely do they consider it's not them buying the phone, it's you.

If you switch from an android to an Iphone, make no mistake, there will be a learning curve. And if you're not tech savvy and really don't care to learn new tricks, then stick to the android related stuff.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up