ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 20
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Media Center>Amazon Prime Video
Pitt Gorilla 03:10 PM 04-10-2018
Not sure this deserves it's own thread, but damn, there is a lot of outstanding content on Amazon. I've had it for years and never really gave it a shot. The HBO and Funny or Die catalogues alone make it worth the while. The originals are simply value added. I've been watching:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Eastbound and Down
Zach Morris is Trash

Things in my queue:

Man in the High Castle
The Tick
Sneaky Pete
Jack Ryan

Would like to re-watch:

Sopranos
Between Two Ferns
Justified
Parks and Rec

Anything you'd recommend from Prime Video? I feel like a kid in a candy shop (without the requisite time to actually enjoy all the candy...)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:49 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
That was how I saw it as well. It wasn't bad, but Bosch flying off to do the drug thing just seemed like a different show. Get back to the murders.
Yep.

I also felt like the city of Los Angeles, which played a huge role in previous seasons, was also missing from Season 5.

In regards to Season 6, it was a trip to see Bosch drive up my street and past my home as they were headed to Lake Hollywood. I was actually up at the Lake the day that scene was shot but I didn't see any of the actors, just the crew and the car he and Jerry drove to the crime scene.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:36 PM 05-02-2020
Just started watching Upload. Pretty inventive interesting new comedy-drama. On ep 2 and going to go the full season.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:06 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I finally finished Season 5 this past week and I'm five episodes into Season 6. IMO, the program has returned to form.

It wasn't that Season 5 was bad, it's just that it's enough with the undercover drug nonsense, which I found to be too generic for a show with this much content to draw upon.
Glad you got caught up. Told you it was worth it :-).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:30 PM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Glad you got caught up. Told you it was worth it :-).
Thanks again, Broham! :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:12 AM 05-03-2020
Thanks again, Broham! :-)
LOL. I was just needling you a bit. Seriously though I’m glad you’re liking it. There are a lot of cop dramas out there but this is a good one IMO.

It is interesting the role the city plays in the show. I hadn’t even thought about it until you mentioned it. But that part is really well done.

I’m quite certain it impacts you differently than me because I’ve been to the airport once and you’ve been there for what? 30 years?

Nonetheless they do a great job of making the city an important character. As opposed to other shows just taking place somewhere. Probably as good of a job as I can remember since the wire.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:26 AM 05-03-2020
The only thing I know about LA is that city hall looks like it was designed to be a giant middle finger.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:04 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
The only thing I know about LA is that city hall looks like it was designed to be a giant middle finger.
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It is interesting the role the city plays in the show. I hadn’t even thought about it until you mentioned it. But that part is really well done.
Yeah, I've been in Hollywood for more than 27 years and I've lived within a 2 mile radius during that time. My first apartment was off Yucca & Wilcox, which is about a half a mile from the Hollywood Police Station, which is just south of Sunset off of Wilcox. It's nearly a straight 1.8 mile shot from my home.

What makes Bosch special, at least for me, is that they've made the city of Hollywood a character throughout each season. Instead of soundstages, they're actually filming On Location, which as a resident who'se been to nearly all of the locations, super cool to see each episode.

As mentioned previously, it was truly a trip to see them film my street and Weidlake Drive, which leads to the South entrance of Lake Hollywood. I'm pretty sure it was Episode 3 in which Harry & Jerry find the remains of the "camp" set up by the homeless man found with radiation burns. My parents got a big kick out of seeing my street and the lake during that particular episode and texted me as soon as they saw it.

The bar where they had Barrel's "retirement" party, Boardner's, used to be my favorite hangout. It's been there since 1942 and hasn't changed a bit. As a matter of fact, the owner asked me to put together a band to play the patio on Sundays back in 1993, just about 6 weeks after I arrived, but I was too busy at the time. Musso & Frank's is an Old School restaurant that's almost directly across the street from Boardner's and is featured prominently in the Netflix series, The Kominsky Method as well. Seeing all of the real Hollywood hangouts is just so cool when compared to fake sets because it provides a level of authenticity that's missing in so many other LA based TV shows.

Anyway, I hope that it's picked up by Hulu or Netflix or another streamer because it's still a great show and it will be hard to see it end after Season 7.

In case anyone's interested, I've linked below to several websites that detail the specific locations in which the show has filmed. I'm really going to miss it if it truly ends after Season 7.

https://www.thecinemaholic.com/bosch...ocation-guide/

https://la.eater.com/maps/bosch-amaz...film-locations

https://la.curbed.com/2019/4/17/1841...chael-connelly

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...18.472174&z=10

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/bosch-los-angeles/

https://paleymatters.org/bosch-seaso...es-e074779bd16
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:41 PM 05-03-2020
So J.Edgar's house isn't actually in Baldwin Hills?
[Reply]
Randallflagg 07:49 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Just started watching Upload. Pretty inventive interesting new comedy-drama. On ep 2 and going to go the full season.

I was surprised. I actually liked the show. Not bad at all.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:49 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
So J.Edgar's house isn't actually in Baldwin Hills?
I actually don't know. I didn't go through all of the links to verify but it *looks* like Baldwin Hills or Ladera Heights on the show.

Which neighborhood was listed?

FYI, I did notice a few mistakes in some of the articles. For example, El Compadre is on Sunset Boulevard, right in the middle of what used to be called "Guitar Row", because it sits between the Mesa/Boogie store, what used to be The Carvin Store, which was next to Guitars R Us and other Mom & Pops.

For some odd reason, one of the articles said El Compadre was in Silverlake, which would be 4+ miles from its actual location.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:00 PM 05-03-2020
I actually don't know. I didn't go through all of the links to verify but it *looks* like Baldwin Hills or Ladera Heights on the show.

Which neighborhood was listed?

FYI, I did notice a few mistakes in some of the articles. For example, El Compadre is on Sunset Boulevard, right in the middle of what used to be called "Guitar Row", because it sits between the Mesa/Boogie store, what used to be The Carvin Store, which was next to Guitars R Us and other Mom & Pops.

For some odd reason, one of the articles said El Compadre was in Silverlake, which would be 4+ miles from its actual location.
I didn't go through everything listed to see if they tagged his house, but I noticed that the only thing tagged in Baldwin Hills was Elias' house where they had the scenes with the widow.

Just kind of weird, because I thought they might be a stickler for that particular beat, particularly after the ridge adjacent to his house figured prominently in the sniper attack on him.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:01 AM 05-10-2020
Satisfaction with Bosch inspired me to check out The Lincoln Lawyer.

Not bad, not great. If I had to summarize it succinctly, I'd say 'decent, but squandered opportunity.'

Having gotten acquainted with Connelly's style, you can see the bones of a 'potboiler' and the performances are fair to good, and there are a TON of stars, relatively [2 Oscar Winners, 2 more nominees, and many many big names]. But the director didn't seem to have an ear for the material. It's too clean when it needs to be tawdry, too dramatic when it needs to be sardonic. It has big budget staging and cinematography on occasion, then it looks like 'made for basic cable' on other occasions. And there's this pervasive sense of 'there has to be huge plot holes, if I cared enough to catalog them.'

That's not to say it's bad, just not living up to its potential. It's decent enough, but could have been great.

I hear they're working on developing it for series. Hope they get some of the Bosch handlers on board when it starts coming to fruition.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 07:35 AM 05-10-2020
Watching the Scorsese doc on the Grateful Dead. Recommended.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:54 PM 05-10-2020
I found out Amazon has the entire Banshee series included with Prime so for now they are back on my good list.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 06:40 AM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Started watching and finished season 1 yesterday. Really enjoyed the show. Looking forward to season 2.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 20
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up