ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 104 of 172
« First < 45494100101102103104 105106107108114154 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Hydrae 03:27 PM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
I enjoyed the new Reacher series on Amazon Prime. I've read a few Reacher books on airplanes or beaches. This series seems pretty faithful to the series and is a lot better than the movie with Tom Cruise.

Good way to kill a few hours but it's admittedly not deep or sophisticated or nuanced or meaningful.
I've read most of the Reacher books and enjoyed them. I could never convince myself to watch the movies with Tom Cruise. I don't know how they could have made look nearly big enough for Reacher.

Wife and I started the first season a few days ago and it seems to be following the first book quite well and the actor actually looks the part! It is getting a little slow but I know it will pick up at the end but they probably could have shortened the season by an episode or two without losing the storyline.
[Reply]
eDave 04:23 PM 02-10-2022
AMC has set the premiere date for the sixth and final season of Emmy-nominated drama series Better Call Saul. The final chapter, from Sony Pictures Television, will premiere with two back-to-back-episodes starting at 9 p.m. Monday, April 18, on AMC and AMC+.
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:35 PM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by eDave:
AMC has set the premiere date for the sixth and final season of Emmy-nominated drama series Better Call Saul. The final chapter, from Sony Pictures Television, will premiere with two back-to-back-episodes starting at 9 p.m. Monday, April 18, on AMC and AMC+.
I'm going to have to re-watch like the final 3 episodes to remember what was happening...but love this show.
[Reply]
eDave 09:44 PM 02-10-2022
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I'm going to have to re-watch like the final 3 episodes to remember what was happening...but love this show.
They will likely play the entire series leading up to it.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 01:26 PM 02-11-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Someone involved with that show is a musical and cultural SAVANTE. Capturing moods and eras with just the right touches and choices without being satirical or snarky. . . I mean a totally Xmas morning appropriate . . . Marlboro Miles SWEATSHIRT fer chrissakes?!?!? Genius

And whomever cast the younger versions of the Gemstone clan knocked it out of the effing PARK!! It almost seems like a spinoff of just the teens showing how the adults came to be how they are would work in it's own right.

EDIT - for those who skipped the credits, you missed an awesome credit music song [part of why I made the musical savante remark above], leaving it here for posterity . . . It's been in my head ALL WEEK.

Spoiler!
Now this song is stuck in my head too. They just keep finding perfect songs on this show.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:36 PM 02-11-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
Now this song is stuck in my head too. They just keep finding perfect songs on this show.

I fervently hope it's totally purposeful, but whether it is or isn't it is genius to connect the story of the Gemstones to the peace and love hippy spiritual movement.

It's such a delicious twist on the likeable villain trope of our recent televised drama experience. The Gemstones are largely flagrantly unlikeable, but instead of balancing charisma against horrible acts, they are balancing petty and doofy and stupid against intrinsically benign impulses in there somewhere buried deep.

I encourage people to think about the story they AREN'T telling when watching this show. It's not 24/7 scheming to outright defraud and steal and accumulate power. They seek power, but they have lines they won't cross, they curse and fuck around and are entitled, but they don't despise their supporters. Aimee-Lee is a spectre of Christian example hovering over them, lovable and beloved and always vigilant for the proper Christian thing to do, whether it comes to charitability, forgiveness, manners, openness, etc., and you constantly see glimpses of people trying [though often failing spectacularly] to live up to her example.

And what you DON'T see is followers suffering from their association, aside from occasional cake throwing and bad fashion choices. People flock to them for that feel-good redemption story and largely they receive it.

This isn't so much a story about how awful televangelists are, as it is how easy it is for the best of intentions to be worn down by life and human nature.

At its heart the Gemstone story is the story of the entire Boomer evolution, the long slow slog from free-love generosity and positivity to entitlement and materialism.
[Reply]
eDave 02:50 PM 02-11-2022
Not a series, but I caught TinderSwindler last night. That was something else.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:44 PM 02-12-2022
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
I enjoyed the first season, the second season seems to be starting out a little bit uneven to me. There's a lot of loose ends to be tied up from the first season. Maybe it's going to take some time for the actors to get back into character because the interactions seem a bit 'off'.
Man, that took a HARD left turn, hope it's just a one-off detour.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 09:37 AM 02-13-2022
Cal is cracking me up on euphoria. All I have to say is “You wanna wrestle?”
[Reply]
BigBeauford 01:09 PM 02-14-2022
Halfway through "The Shield" season 2. This show is otherworldly with the performances from its leads. So gritty and visceral does the action feel. It's like watching a morally ambiguous scripted version of COPS, and getting to see everything that happens in between. How is this show not thrown around with the GOATS? My understanding is the breakneck pace never let's up.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:11 PM 02-14-2022
Peacockin' around like Hoda Kotb or some shit . . .
[Reply]
HemiEd 02-15-2022, 05:44 PM
This message has been deleted by HemiEd.
eDave 05:59 PM 02-15-2022
Off topic but I just switched to Prime Video. What an abomination that service is.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:15 PM 02-15-2022
Originally Posted by eDave:
Off topic but I just switched to Prime Video. What an abomination that service is.
What’s so bad about it? Watched Reacher on it a couple weeks ago and it’s fine. It has some truly shit content on there but so does Netflix.
[Reply]
Miles 09:39 PM 02-15-2022
The user interface on Amazon when browsing for new things to watch is pretty rough.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 11:50 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Halfway through "The Shield" season 2. This show is otherworldly with the performances from its leads. So gritty and visceral does the action feel. It's like watching a morally ambiguous scripted version of COPS, and getting to see everything that happens in between. How is this show not thrown around with the GOATS? My understanding is the breakneck pace never let's up.
My favorite series ever.
[Reply]
Page 104 of 172
« First < 45494100101102103104 105106107108114154 > Last »
Up