Page 885 of 934
« First < 385785835875881882883884885 886887888889895 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:45 AM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
A CD is probably stupid idea versus putting the max FDIC deposit in a few different money market accounts that have limited and/or time-bound penalties for withdrawals.
Dont know what that is. Link?

I had a money market locally last year and it paid shit.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:50 AM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I'm putting 750k into a 4.35% Ally CD.

This is the part you guys tell me how stupid I am.

Seems like a good deal to me. No risk. I dont have to pay a financial advisor to potentially lose money for me and I dont have to do.....anything. Thats the best part. 33k to sit on my ass. Sold.
Probably depends on what your goals are. If you want to protect that $750k because you need it in the not-too-distant future, a CD is a good option.

If you aren't retiring for 30+ years, you'd probably be better putting it into investments. But, of course, that comes with risk, and there's a good chance it could be ulcer-inducing for a while as the market continues to have a lot of volatility.

But FWIW, you don't need a financial advisor to invest. Just open up a Vanguard or Schwab account and throw it into some index funds.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:59 AM 12-22-2022
Dont know what that is. Link?

I had a money market locally last year and it paid shit.
It also depends on how much cash you need to maintain your current standard of living if you were to lose your main source of income. If you don't need $750K for a year to a year and a half then you're better off locking up the amount you absolutely cannot live without and keep the rest in various forms of liquidity to buy market tracking ETFs in at prices you think are discounts.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:07 PM 12-22-2022

Seems like a good deal to me. No risk. I dont have to pay a financial advisor to potentially lose money for me and I dont have to do.....anything. Thats the best part. 33k to sit on my ass. Sold.
I'd put it in "MAIN" before I did that. Been solid all year and steady as a rock. Pays 7% yearly dividend MONTHLY
[Reply]
sondevil 12:20 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I'd put it in "MAIN" before I did that. Been solid all year and steady as a rock. Pays 7% yearly dividend MONTHLY
What is MAIN?
[Reply]
BWillie 12:24 PM 12-22-2022
Wtf is it

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
It also depends on how much cash you need to maintain your current standard of living if you were to lose your main source of income. If you don't need $750K for a year to a year and a half then you're better off locking up the amount you absolutely cannot live without and keep the rest in various forms of liquidity to buy market tracking ETFs in at prices you think are discounts.
Dont need it at all for years. Dont know anything about market tracking EFTs. Guess have to look into it. Investing is so much work.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:26 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by sondevil:
What is MAIN?
Ticker symbol MAIN

Company Overview
Sector
Financials
Industry
Banking Services
Overview
Main Street Capital Corporation (MSCC) is a principal investment company primarily focused on providing customized debt and equity financing to lower middle market (LMM) companies and debt capital to middle market (Middle Market) companies. The Company's principal investment objective is to maximize portfolios total return by generating current income from its debt investments and current income and capital appreciation from our equity and equity-related investments, including warrants, convertible securities and other rights to acquire equity securities in a portfolio company. The Company seeks to achieve its investment objective through LMM, Private Loan, and Middle Market investment strategies. Middle Market portfolio investments primarily consist of direct investments in or secondary purchases of interest-bearing syndicated loans or debt securities in privately held companies based in the United States. MSC Adviser I, LLC is the External Investment Manager.
Headquarters
1300 Post Oak Boulevard, 8Th Floor
Houston, TX
www.mainstcapital.com
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:28 PM 12-22-2022
It's at an attractive price right now also 35.88

It plays between 33-44 mostly
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:09 PM 12-22-2022
i did a covered call yesterday that blew me away. April 400 LLY paid $20 a share. Thats crazy!!
[Reply]
DaFace 01:27 PM 12-22-2022
Wtf is it

Dont need it at all for years. Dont know anything about market tracking EFTs. Guess have to look into it. Investing is so much work.
If you're mainly thinking of this as retirement money and don't want to do the work of figuring out "how to invest," just open up a brokerage account at Vanguard and throw it all into a target date fund that's around the date you hope to retire. They are specifically designed to be an all-in-one option that gives you a ton of diversification and also decreases risk as your maturity date gets closer.

If, over time, you want to be more hands-on, you can always move away to more hand-picked stocks. But target-date funds will get you started.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:34 PM 12-22-2022
As another option, Vanguard (and a lot of other places) now have "robo advisors" that basically let you tell them what you want to accomplish and then algorithmically adjust your portfolio accordingly. I personally think that index funds (or target date funds) are just about as simple and cost less, but that's another route that simplifies the process.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:39 PM 12-22-2022

My in-laws did something back in the 1980s that I thought was pretty smart. When inflation spiked in early 1980s they put a bunch of money into long-term CD ladders. Then inflation went down and for 10+ years they were getting something like 8 percent risk-free on their investment returns in 3 percent inflation. I'm trying to figure out when they peak so I can do the same now. That's the key to success.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:49 PM 12-22-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
As another option, Vanguard (and a lot of other places) now have "robo advisors" that basically let you tell them what you want to accomplish and then algorithmically adjust your portfolio accordingly. I personally think that index funds (or target date funds) are just about as simple and cost less, but that's another route that simplifies the process.

I wonder what it would do if you told them you want 20% returns daily.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:56 PM 12-22-2022
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346603
[Reply]
DaFace 01:58 PM 12-22-2022

[Reply]
Page 885 of 934
« First < 385785835875881882883884885 886887888889895 > Last »
Up