ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 88 of 934
« First < 38788485868788 8990919298138188588 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:04 PM 10-14-2017
Buying individual stocks is still a crapshoot. Look at Walmart. About as solid a company as you can get. In the year 2000 the stock was at $70 in 2016 $66. It's made a run this year up to 86. Between those years I think the low was around 42 and high 87.But why would anyone want to own that ? I guess if you're a day trader and want to click buy/sell all the time theres opportunity but thats even a crap shoot.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:24 PM 10-14-2017
Mastercard (MA)is making a nice run
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:39 PM 10-14-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Buying individual stocks is still a crapshoot. Look at Walmart. About as solid a company as you can get. In the year 2000 the stock was at $70 in 2016 $66. It's made a run this year up to 86. Between those years I think the low was around 42 and high 87.But why would anyone want to own that ? I guess if you're a day trader and want to click buy/sell all the time theres opportunity but thats even a crap shoot.
Buy at 42 sell at 85. Repeat in a perfect world
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 07:00 PM 10-14-2017
X is up 7% today.

Looking at two stocks to jump on PayPal (PYPL) and Intuit (INTU)

Any thoughts on these two ?
I own pypl and would like to add but it's on a crazy run up. I'd wait and see. I think earnings are 10/19 and monthlies expire 10/20.

I like all the payment company's. It's like owning a toll booth on the payment highway. Chipotle down and five guys up? Who cares, I get my % cut either way.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:08 PM 10-14-2017
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I own pypl and would like to add but it's on a crazy run up. I'd wait and see. I think earnings are 10/19 and monthlies expire 10/20.

I like all the payment company's. It's like owning a toll booth on the payment highway. Chipotle down and five guys up? Who cares, I get my % cut either way.
I wish I had got in a year ago. I went ahead and put in a buy order for Monday open.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 08:36 PM 10-14-2017
I'm really happy with how NVDA has performed this year. I bought in at $104 and it's already north of $190. Gonna hold on to it for a long time.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:42 PM 10-14-2017
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
I'm really happy with how NVDA has performed this year. I bought in at $104 and it's already north of $190. Gonna hold on to it for a long time.
:-)
[Reply]
scho63 09:10 AM 10-15-2017
You sold out a long time ago correct?

Follow this advice from many of the most successful money managers:

"Let your winners run keep running and sell your losers quickly"

Amateurs usually do the opposite. Not easy
[Reply]
lewdog 10:11 AM 10-15-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
Don't conflate trading analysis with investing analysis. While they can overlap at times, financial analysis of a company rarely if ever relies on a chart.

Trading analysis always relies on charts and rarely on fundamentals, that why traders will buy a very over priced stock on the way up and short an undervalued one on the way down.

Learn to read a 10-K and 10-Q along with knowing some basic tests to run against a balance sheet

Current Assets - Current Liabilities is called the "Acid Test". It's tests a companies true cash position with working capital.

There are a bunch of them.

Also look at how a company has performed against their piers:
-Do they have better or worse margins?
-Is there market share increasing or decreasing?
-What is their yield per employee?

https://quizlet.com/6020906/accounti...s-flash-cards/

You will be able to really analyze a company when you learn some of these. :-)
Good stuff here. Thanks.

And you're right. I more evaluate a company based on long term investing not trading. Reading the Intelligent Investor right now and it's definitely a learn on investing for long term and companies with sound financial plans. Has tons of scenarios relating to the dot.com boom that are just fascinating for someone who was in middle and high school at the time and didn't pay attention to any of it! Crazy how some of these companies went from gains of 1000%+ down to penny stocks in a matter of months.

Thanks for the link.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 10:44 AM 10-15-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Good stuff here. Thanks.

And you're right. I more evaluate a company based on long term investing not trading. Reading the Intelligent Investor right now and it's definitely a learn on investing for long term and companies with sound financial plans. Has tons of scenarios relating to the dot.com boom that are just fascinating for someone who was in middle and high school at the time and didn't pay attention to any of it! Crazy how some of these companies went from gains of 1000%+ down to penny stocks in a matter of months.

Thanks for the link.
Good old Benjamin Graham.
[Reply]
scho63 11:46 AM 10-15-2017
Good stuff here. Thanks.

Crazy how some of these companies went from gains of 1000%+ down to penny stocks in a matter of months.

Thanks for the link.
This is how I went from being worth $10-12 MILLION dollars in 1997-1998 to being worth .10-.12

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:20 PM 10-15-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
You sold out a long time ago correct?

Follow this advice from many of the most successful money managers:

"Let your winners run keep running and sell your losers quickly"

Amateurs usually do the opposite. Not easy
Yep. Sold at 65 :-) But I bought at 32 so I'm trying to pretend to be happy.

Your advice is duly noted.
[Reply]
eDave 03:22 PM 10-20-2017
Max out your 401K investments while you can:

How the GOP Tax Bill Could Squeeze Your 401(k)

Lobbyists and others in the retirement and financial services industries who have spoken to congressional staff and committee members say lawmakers are looking at proposals that would allow 401(k) participants to contribute significantly less than what is currently allowed in a traditional tax-deferred 401(k). An often mentioned amount is $2,400 a year. It isn't clear whether that would only apply to 401(k)s or IRAs or both.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...our-401-k.html
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:10 PM 10-20-2017
Good stuff here. Thanks.

Thanks for the link.
JDS Uniphase can go fornicate itself with a baseball bat.

Sorry. A bad memory just bubbled up.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:44 PM 10-20-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
Max out your 401K investments while you can:

How the GOP Tax Bill Could Squeeze Your 401(k)

Lobbyists and others in the retirement and financial services industries who have spoken to congressional staff and committee members say lawmakers are looking at proposals that would allow 401(k) participants to contribute significantly less than what is currently allowed in a traditional tax-deferred 401(k). An often mentioned amount is $2,400 a year. It isn't clear whether that would only apply to 401(k)s or IRAs or both.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...our-401-k.html
That's an absolutely shitty idea if I've ever heard one. Especially cutting the allowed maximum to next to nothing.

I do doubt the lobbyists for investment firms allow this to happen though. It would not benefit them in the slightest.
[Reply]
Page 88 of 934
« First < 38788485868788 8990919298138188588 > Last »
Up