ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 934
« First < 222829303132 333435364282132532 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
EPodolak 01:21 PM 11-09-2016
The predicted market plunge and "buying opportunity" today never came to pass. Another example of market timing being a bad plan. Slow and steady (and passive) over the long haul wins the race.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:35 PM 11-09-2016
Benjermin graham
[Reply]
Bugeater 05:40 PM 11-09-2016
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
We *really* need to get housing prices under control in this country.
Don't you live in Joplin? You have no idea what high prices are...
[Reply]
lewdog 07:22 PM 11-09-2016
You live in a part of the country with the cheapest housing around.

Sounds like you need a new job.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:33 PM 11-09-2016
Pretty crazy that S&P (and other) futures were down nearly 5% last night around midnight, yet we ended up ~1% today. I'm definitely glad I don't try and do anything other than pump money into my mutual funds and leave them alone - that shit would drive me nuts.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:35 PM 11-09-2016
:-)
[Reply]
hometeam 09:06 PM 11-09-2016
I recently landed a (low) 6 figure job.

My first order of business is to get my high interest debt paid down.

THEN WHAT DO I DO?

[Reply]
lewdog 09:13 PM 11-09-2016
Originally Posted by hometeam:

THEN WHAT DO I DO?

Start learning to live below your means.

Use that to start building an emergency fund (3-6 months living expenses).

Pay off debt completely.

Build equity and buy a house if you don't already have one.

Start building savings/investments for retirement and/or the future as you can through all of this. Even $100 per month is better than nothing.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:13 PM 11-09-2016

THEN WHAT DO I DO?

Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm certainly not a financial guru (hell, I'm only 34 myself). Others have given some pretty solid takes more generally, but if I go with the assumption that "spend less, save more" is a given, here's how I generally prioritize things:
  1. Pay off credit cards.
  2. Build up an emergency fund of six months worth of expenses. (There's a lot of debate about the exact amount here, so up it if you're conservative, lower it if you're risky and/or have a really stable job that you're not worried about disappearing.)
  3. Put in as much as is necessary to get a company match in your 401k or IRA plans (if applicable).
  4. Pay off anything else that has an interest rate above 5% or so. (This is debatable since you may make more than that in the stock market, but I'm fairly conservative and think you take the guaranteed "return" while you can.)
  5. Start your own IRA (I think Roths make the most sense if you're young, but Trads are fine as long as you know the differences and benefits of each.) Max out your annual contributions if you can.
  6. Pay off any thing you have left that's below 5% interest rate (except your mortgage assuming your rate is good).
  7. Max out your contributions to your company 401k or IRA account (if applicable).
  8. Pay off your mortgage.
  9. Start a standard brokerage account and start investing for income (or possibly look into other types of investments).

There is very little in financial planning that is a "right" or "wrong" way of doing things, so others may shift their priorities in the above a bit. Nothing wrong with that.

Finally, in terms of investments, if you know NOTHING, you can always start with a target date fund. The fees are a little high, but they're managed and will generally keep you pointed in the right direction. A step above that is where I'm at: I'm lazy and go with a
three-fund lazy portfolio for the most part. Be wary of "full-service" places - they're great for advice, but they're taking fees out of EVERYTHING, which can add up ENORMOUSLY over time. If you really start to have a feel for what you're doing, you can invest in individual stocks obviously, but 90% of people will just get themselves in trouble doing that IMO.

[Reply]
hometeam 09:19 PM 11-09-2016
I have been making 40-60 grand a year for about 12 years. I have no savings, no retirement (I started to build one at one point but cashed it in in an emergency)

About 20k in high interest debt, 30k in low interest debt, and owe about 78k on my house thats worth 85. (edit: recalculated, 22k in high interest, 17k in low interest with 12 of that at 0%)

Unfortunately at this new company I'm not vested for 6 years, but I will max. My 6 percent for the 3 they give.

I dunno really anything about any kind of IRA, no idea what a brokerage account is. I have kind of been living paycheck to paycheck and doing racecar shit :/

I am going to start researching investments as well, but I wont start investing until i get my 10k CC debt paid off, hopefully feb/march. My house is at 5.25 right now which is higher than I can get, but I wanted to finish the transition to the new job before I went in for a streamline refi at somewhere around 3.25.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:23 PM 11-09-2016
I have A+ credit as well. Have been thinking about looking into some debt transfer options and turning some of that high interest debt into low interest debt, but dont know if thats worth any fees etc.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:25 PM 11-09-2016

THEN WHAT DO I DO?

[Reply]
hometeam 09:30 PM 11-09-2016
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
Dont think im not dreamin!

Gonna be cool and get my shit handled first.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:34 PM 11-09-2016
I have been making 40-60 grand a year for about 12 years. I have no savings, no retirement (I started to build one at one point but cashed it in in an emergency)

About 20k in high interest debt, 30k in low interest debt, and owe about 78k on my house thats worth 85. (edit: recalculated, 22k in high interest, 17k in low interest with 12 of that at 0%)

Unfortunately at this new company I'm not vested for 6 years, but I will max. My 6 percent for the 3 they give.

I dunno really anything about any kind of IRA, no idea what a brokerage account is. I have kind of been living paycheck to paycheck and doing racecar shit :/

I am going to start researching investments as well, but I wont start investing until i get my 10k CC debt paid off, hopefully feb/march. My house is at 5.25 right now which is higher than I can get, but I wanted to finish the transition to the new job before I went in for a streamline refi at somewhere around 3.25.
It might help to simplify your choices to help you think through it. There are generally three things you can focus on:

1. Emergency fund
2. Debt reduction (2.5 refinancing, consolidation, etc.)
3. Investments (3.5 401ks, IRAs, brokerage accounts)

There's very little point in getting into #3 beyond doing enough for your company match until you've got #1 and #2 taken care of.

I'd probably split your first priority between building up a little emergency fund of a few grand and paying down the high-interest stuff. Once you get enough in an emergency fund that you can handle most normal emergencies (breaking an arm, car breaks down, etc.), focus exclusively on the high-interest debt until it's gone. (Obviously if you can find ways to get the interest rates down, great, but that's just a matter of doing the research and the math to see if it's worth it.) After that, build up your emergency fund to where it really should be.

THEN you can start thinking about how to prioritize the low-interest loans vs. investments.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:35 PM 11-09-2016
Oh, and you should definitely look into a refi once you're stable enough in the new gig (assuming you plan to stay in the house for at least a few years).
[Reply]
Page 32 of 934
« First < 222829303132 333435364282132532 > Last »
Up