« First < 3080120126127128129130 131132133134140180230630 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:23 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Wedding story. I needed a good laugh.
It was a fucking awesome. I couldn't believe it.

And we weren't even going to go...
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:33 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Rain - I'd just compare yourself to the S&P 500.
The Dow is old and works in a stupid way. The Nasdaq is very concentrated in technology so you're not going to beat it with any diversified/balanced portfolio that cares about risk-adjusted returns over the long haul. You can keep up with it probably if you buy QQQ which is the nasdaq-100 index.

Actually, I'll amend that.. you likely won't beat nasdaq when the markets going up. You probably will beat it during a bear market.

I noticed before I left work that Calavo's floated shares are currently 27% shorting the stock. That's a ton, up there with like Tesla. I'm guessing others think the valuation is too high also. just fyi, if you're planning to hold it long term I wouldn't care. Seems like a good company with low debt and apparently millennials are busy buying avocado toast instead of homes hah
Interesting points. I too view the S&P 500 as my major target, but I've worried about getting my rear kicked by NASDAQ this past year. But if it's just a bull market thing, I can live with it.

I dunno the deal with Calavo, but it's been gold for me. There was some reason that I bought it several years back, and I don't even remember the reason, but it's just gone consistently up. I was a little worried that the trade stuff and the wall talk would hurt it, but it hasn't been an issue at all. I've been treated very well by the avocado.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 08:17 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Interesting points. I too view the S&P 500 as my major target, but I've worried about getting my rear kicked by NASDAQ this past year. But if it's just a bull market thing, I can live with it.
Active managed T Rowe Price tech fund vs. SPY the most liquid S&P 500 etf out there.

26% average over 5 years straight. Kind of insane. Even the 12.56 from the S&P is pretty darn good. nasdaq just has a ton of tech. It's not a fair fight
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 11:37 AM 06-01-2018
IQ is doing well. It's at 28.00 now. I think this stock follows netflix and runs way up

Added BILI the other day

Thinking about HUYA

All chinese IPO's
[Reply]
Munson 05:25 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
IQ is doing well. It's at 28.00 now. I think this stock follows netflix and runs way up

Added BILI the other day

Thinking about HUYA

All chinese IPO's
Funny that you mention IQ, since I was about to make a post about it.

I just learned about them early last week. Damn near anything you read about this company calls them the Chinese version of Netflix.

I originally wanted to buy about $3,000 worth, but decided to play it safe and invest $1,500. I should've taken the risk, because it's already returned just under 25% since buying it a week ago.

Thinking about getting more next week.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:40 PM 06-01-2018
Yep, I literally made 1K on IQ today. I like it when my IQ goes up!
[Reply]
Munson 05:49 PM 06-01-2018
Nice! And I just noticed it went up another 32 cents in after hours trading to $28.78.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:07 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Munson:
Nice! And I just noticed it went up another 32 cents in after hours trading to $28.78.
I was going to buy another 2k this morning when it was at 25+ and my daughter said not to because I'd jinx it like all the other times. LOL
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:40 PM 06-02-2018
Just FYI . I just learned Yahoo Finance has a price target of $ 147 on IQ

Right now its 28.70

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/IQ/analysis?p=IQ
[Reply]
lewdog 05:31 PM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Munson:
Just FYI . I just learned Yahoo Finance has a price target of $ 147 on IQ

Right now its 28.70

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/IQ/analysis?p=IQ
Thanks for this.

It's a volatile stock. And because of this I decided to sell a Put @$30 that expires on June 15th and it's gonna pay me $230. That's extremely high for a short duration option. I don't mind owning it either (if is remains below $30 in the next 10 days) as selling covered calls on it are a high payout as well if I am placed with shares.
Lots of option volume on this stock. Thanks for the heads up CP.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:39 PM 06-04-2018

Added BILI the other day

Thinking about HUYA

All chinese IPO's
Yeah, the market is going crazy over these. I think iq is a solid choice but I didn't invest (oops). There is a lot of competition. They and Tencent Video seem to have pushed past Youku Toudou, the former market leader.

Huya's gone crazy expensive at 16-17x sales. That's a lot for a US company w/ no earnings let alone a VIE from China with the associated risk of not really being an owner. I've owned the parent that spun it off, YY, for a long time so I've just been sitting back. They report earnings tomorrow.

Today was probably good for you :-) big pop for China & tech in general. Later this year Tencent Music and Ant are supposed to IPO. They'll have huge valuations. I think Ant Financials last private funding round was like 150 billion. That's Coca Cola level of company.. I can't remember an IPO anything like that. If the hysteria with China IPO's continues perhaps we should be ready to cash in
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:28 PM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
Yeah, the market is going crazy over these. I think iq is a solid choice but I didn't invest (oops). There is a lot of competition. They and Tencent Video seem to have pushed past Youku Toudou, the former market leader.

Huya's gone crazy expensive at 16-17x sales. That's a lot for a US company w/ no earnings let alone a VIE from China with the associated risk of not really being an owner. I've owned the parent that spun it off, YY, for a long time so I've just been sitting back. They report earnings tomorrow.

Today was probably good for you :-) big pop for China & tech in general. Later this year Tencent Music and Ant are supposed to IPO. They'll have huge valuations. I think Ant Financials last private funding round was like 150 billion. That's Coca Cola level of company.. I can't remember an IPO anything like that. If the hysteria with China IPO's continues perhaps we should be ready to cash in
I went ahead and pulled the plug and bought some huya this morning. Chinese gaming is huge.
[Reply]
Cornstock 11:55 PM 06-05-2018
Perhaps discussed before, but I'm too lazy to look back. The scenario is not for you do it your selfers, rather those who work with a financial advisor:

It appears the trend for FAs is into the world of managed accounts vs choosing a mutual fund portfolio for a commission. For example, you can hire an FA to create a portfolio of A shares at a 5% upfront charge with some relatively low expense ratio ongoing vs going into a managed portfolio where you have an almost hedge fund like approach that constantly manages risk daily and positions the entire portfolio for the current environment and charges a somewhat higher annual % based on assets invested with no load.

This seems like a good idea based on the current economic climate, where simple indexed funds may not be able to seek out returns in a higher volatility environment.

I'm omitting a lot of details out of laziness, but those who are familiar will know what I'm talking about. Pros and cons of this approach?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:31 AM 06-07-2018
I believe the vote in Canada for legalization is occurring today. Pot stocks have been moving this week.

You watchin Lewdog ?
[Reply]
lewdog 05:54 AM 06-07-2018
I believe the vote in Canada for legalization is occurring today. Pot stocks have been moving this week.

You watchin Lewdog ?
Of course! I am up 200% on my MJ stocks. Could be a big drop or another swing up.
[Reply]
Page 130 of 934
« First < 3080120126127128129130 131132133134140180230630 > Last »
Up