DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:10 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
How many acres you plant this year ?

Do you have irrigation or dryland ?

We've had 1 inch of rain in 8 months
None of beans. About 3000 of corn. 750 milo. A few irrigated acres mostly dryland.

We were at like 1.40 all in rains events of <.40 but we got a pretty good rain last week. I feel a lot better.

I had some triticale for certified seed that got crunched by hail that I guess I had to sacrifice. To buy the rain. :-).

It was headed out.

[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 10:12 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Futures look high everywhere tomorrow. Talks starting to avoid tariffs. Earnings reports are still high for most companies. Stock buybacks from lower taxes are in full affect.

I think tomorrow and the next few days could be HUGE days.
What Mnuchin giveth, Kudlow taketh away. He cut todays gains in half :\
[Reply]
InvinciBill 10:42 AM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
SSW - I've lost my shirt on this ocean freighter company, with the stock down 40 percent since I bought it. But come on - it's profitable and it pays an 8.5% dividend. I've been buying it the whole way down until I reached a limit on how much I'll put into any stock. If it comes back, it'll produce some big gains and I don't see why it's down so much. I kind of want to buy more.
Thanks for this! :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:01 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by InvinciBill:
Thanks for this! :-)
Nice. It's up 50 percent since that post. I really should've bought more.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 02:55 PM 05-21-2018
Nice. It's up 50 percent since that post. I really should've bought more.
Congrats, that Calavo Growers has done real well too. When I finally got some time to look into it more in January it had exploded up from 70 to like 90 in the last month.

So I've just kept it on the watchlist for now. It's real expensive. A 40 PE is like high profit cloud/tech stock territory. This company is a boring consumer staple with small operating and profit margins. I don't get it

I just looked and it was up 3.6% today, hah. It just keeps going!
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:29 PM 05-21-2018
In my current philosophy, I struggle with recommending stocks, because my system of picking is laughable. In terms of recommending, do I talk up stocks that have taken a beating and should turn around, or stocks that are making a run and may be running out of steam? I never know.

That said, here are a few that I like, in no particular order:

TTWO - You know them as the makers of Grand Theft Auto. They don't pay a dividend and I bought them before my dividend strategy was embraced. But wow - this company would've made me affluent if I'd just kept my original holdings and not sold any off. It's quintupled in the last five years.

CODI - Holding company for a bunch of products I've never heard of. The stock price never moves, but it pays an 8%+ dividend. In the current bull market that's not a winner, but in the long run it is.

CVGW - Avocado grower. Pays a 1.3% dividend, and it just always goes up for me.

SEP - Natural gas pipeline company. It's down over the past couple of years, but it pays almost a 7 percent dividend and I keep thinking it'll turn around. I got a good runup three or four years ago.

PSX - I've read that Phillips 66 is more of a refiner than a producer, so they're less volatile to oil prices. Pays a 2.8% dividend.

RCL or CUK - Lots of baby boomers retiring with money, so I like cruise lines, and they countercycle with oil prices. RCL pays a 1.9% dividend and CUK pays 2.8%

MPW - REIT that leases medical office space. Pays a 7.1% dividend. Kind of like CODI above, in that the stock price doesn't move but it returns more than inflation.

GOOG - Probably everyone should have some Google at this point.

NDSN - As near as I can tell, they make nozzles and things for spraying stuff in industrial use. (Shrug.) 0.8% dividend, but it's done well for me. You may have missed the boat on it since it jumped 17 percent yesterday.

VZN - Pays a 4.5% dividend. I've muddled along with this stock but think it's a long-term gainer. Just a hunch.

SSW - I've lost my shirt on this ocean freighter company, with the stock down 40 percent since I bought it. But come on - it's profitable and it pays an 8.5% dividend. I've been buying it the whole way down until I reached a limit on how much I'll put into any stock. If it comes back, it'll produce some big gains and I don't see why it's down so much. I kind of want to buy more.
Okay, let me see how my recommendations did.

TTWO - Up 4.2% (0 in dividends)
CODI - Down 7.8% (+roughly 3% in dividends)
CVGW - Up 24.6% (+ roughly 0.5% in dividends)
SEP - Down 24.1% (+ roughly 3% in dividends)
PSX - Up 20.4% (+ roughly 0.1% in dividends)
RCL - Down 15.1% (+ roughly 0.8% in dividends)
CUK - Up 2.1% (+ roughly 1% in dividends)
MPW - Down 6.9% (+ roughly 3% in dividends)
GOOG - Up 0.2% (0 in dividends)
NDSN - Down 6.8% (+ roughly 0.3% in dividends)
VZN - Down 9.3% (+ roughly 2% in dividends)
SSW - Up 46.7% (+ roughly 4% in dividends)

That averages to a 3.8 percent return.

The Dow is up 2.1% in that time + 1.2% or so in dividends = 3.3%
The NASDAQ is up 7.7% in that time + 0.4% or so in dividends = 8.1%
The S&P 500 is up 3.1% in that time + 0.9% or so = 4.0%

Well, I beat the Dow, I guess, thanks to 3 hot stocks. In my defense, I warned that NDSN might be too late to enter, and that VZ (not VZN) was more of a long-term stock. If you take out NDSN from the mix, I'm at 4.8%

The Nasdaq has been killing me for this past year. I've got a mix of stocks, and the non-NASDAQ ones are lagging NASDAQ.
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:30 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
The point is to make your money work for you, in whatever way works for you and your skills and life. If you actually use your cash in a productive way -- buying "lake lots" or whatever, then that certainly makes perfect sense to me.
This is funny to revisit.

One of those lots, that I paid less than 100 fucks for sold for over 30k several months ago.

It happened to be oin the middle of 26 other lots owned by one person. And he really wanted it. Lucky me
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:32 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
None of beans. About 3000 of corn. 750 milo. A few irrigated acres mostly dryland.

We were at like 1.40 all in rains events of <.40 but we got a pretty good rain last week. I feel a lot better.

I had some triticale for certified seed that got crunched by hail that I guess I had to sacrifice. To buy the rain. :-).

It was headed out.
got a good rain, huh? No credit to me? I did you a rain dance, that night lol
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 04:45 PM 05-21-2018
Rain - I'd just compare yourself to the S&P 500.
The Dow is old and works in a stupid way. The Nasdaq is very concentrated in technology so you're not going to beat it with any diversified/balanced portfolio that cares about risk-adjusted returns over the long haul. You can keep up with it probably if you buy QQQ which is the nasdaq-100 index.

Actually, I'll amend that.. you likely won't beat nasdaq when the markets going up. You probably will beat it during a bear market.

I noticed before I left work that Calavo's floated shares are currently 27% shorting the stock. That's a ton, up there with like Tesla. I'm guessing others think the valuation is too high also. just fyi, if you're planning to hold it long term I wouldn't care. Seems like a good company with low debt and apparently millennials are busy buying avocado toast instead of homes hah
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:56 PM 05-21-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
got a good rain, huh? No credit to me? I did you a rain dance, that night lol
I gave you credit. But you don’t want credit for that nasty ass hail.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:02 PM 05-21-2018
I gave you credit. But you don’t want credit for that nasty ass hail.
:-). I ran into that shit in my travels yesterday.

You have little ones shooting up already?
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:03 PM 05-21-2018
And i have no idea what conversation we were having but my buddy said I looked like I was doing a rain dance when he pulled in to get me. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:06 PM 05-21-2018
And i have no idea what conversation we were having but my buddy said I looked like I was doing a rain dance when he pulled in to get me. :-)
:-).
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:10 PM 05-21-2018
:-).
I know whatever it was you were rolling. Good enough for me.

Was it the bearded impact or the wedding story?
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:17 PM 05-21-2018
I know whatever it was you were rolling. Good enough for me.

Was it the bearded impact or the wedding story?
Wedding story. I needed a good laugh.
[Reply]
Page 129 of 933
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139179229629 > Last »
Up