ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
In Memoriam>RIP Patteeu
BigRedChief 12:58 AM 05-01-2021
Patteau was my friend. That may surprise some of you, but we were real life friends for 15+ years, I met Gene at my Arrowhead tailgate sometime in the mid 2000’s. It was the only time we ever met face to face. We hit it off at the tailgate. We only knew each other from Chiefs Planet, we were obviously totally opposites in our political views but outside of that subject, we found we had a lot in common.

We decided to stay in real life contact after the game. Over the 15+ years we kept in touch with what was happening in our real lives. We worked together many times on the packages for the troops. He gave his time and not just money to help get those packages out to the troops.

He was so proud of his daughters. He would go on about how smart they were. Both are successful in life now. They live in NY and LA and as he said so proudly, just as conservative in their views as him.

Gene went through a divorce, daughters moving to different states. Moving etc. I shared with him my son’s path, my moves, milestones etc.

And then there was Gene’s health issues. I swore to keep them to myself. Sometimes I wanted to defend him about being short or aggressive towards someone. You would be short too if you only ½ of one lung left.

At the end, Gene needed a walker to move. On oxygen all the time. Have multiple cancers in different places. Paralysis in his right arm so when he posted on the Planet. He was only able to post using his one good arm and hand.

He was still fighting all that to the end. He did not go gently into the night. He went out fighting death with everything he had. I can only hope that when my time comes, I’ll have the courage he showed.

I will miss my friend.

Gene is the one behind Stevie Ray on the left.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:52 AM 05-01-2021
RIP warrior!
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:00 AM 05-01-2021
Damn that was quite the exit. RIP Patteau.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:04 AM 05-01-2021
Damn it.

RIP

It always amazes me how this place affects people in real life. A lot of good people on this site. Best wishes to his friends and family.
[Reply]
wazu 09:13 AM 05-01-2021
Aww, man. Sad to hear, but expected this was the case based on his post. He wasn't the type to let things drive him away voluntarily. I haven't been in D.C. much in recent years. Back when I was we definitely disagreed on things and he was one of the few who didn't get personal about it. Prayers to his family and friends. Wish I'd gotten to meet him. We need to have more tailgates so I can meet a few more of you before you die.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:18 AM 05-01-2021
Bummer. RIP patteeu.
[Reply]
banyon 09:34 AM 05-01-2021
I have probably had more discussions and arguments with patteeu than 90% of people on this forum. We disagreed on about the same percentage too. But he would always defend me and others from people disagreeing in a disrespectful manner. I never met him in RL (I have met a select few of you). Reminds me that even when we disagree on petty political BS, when you actually get to know people, you probably have more in common than you think. Would also laugh and rep people on the opposite side of the political aisle if he thought it was actually funny. Class guy.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:41 AM 05-01-2021
Holy crap. So sorry to read this.
[Reply]
rico 09:49 AM 05-01-2021
Man, he was always cool to me... I really liked him. RIP...
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:51 AM 05-01-2021
Wait, what?

Oh man, this is so awful... at a loss for words here

RIP, Gene
[Reply]
Donger 09:53 AM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by banyon:
I have probably had more discussions and arguments with patteeu than 90% of people on this forum. We disagreed on about the same percentage too. But he would always defend me and others from people disagreeing in a disrespectful manner. I never met him in RL (I have met a select few of you). Reminds me that even when we disagree on petty political BS, when you actually get to know people, you probably have more in common than you think. Would also laugh and rep people on the opposite side of the political aisle if he thought it was actually funny. Class guy.
We were friends for a long time, but that changed a few years ago. I really regret that now.
[Reply]
PHOG 09:54 AM 05-01-2021
So sorry to hear. RIP
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:55 AM 05-01-2021
This truly makes me sad. I agreed with Pat most of the time and he was such a good dude. I would have loved to have met him. I've been fortunate enough to meet CPers at different events and it sure helps make you become more civilized on the forum when you put a face with the name. I think he understood that more than anyone. We should probably all strive to be more like Patty, most of us, as you know, are Chief fans first and united by the pain and joy of following this team. Now that Arrowhead will be close to normal this fall, I hope to meet many of you and raise a glass to Patty and enjoy your company, regardless of your ideology. RIP Patty.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:57 AM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Aww, man. Sad to hear, but expected this was the case based on his post. He wasn't the type to let things drive him away voluntarily. I haven't been in D.C. much in recent years. Back when I was we definitely disagreed on things and he was one of the few who didn't get personal about it. Prayers to his family and friends. Wish I'd gotten to meet him. We need to have more tailgates so I can meet a few more of you before you die.
Agreed - the dude was amazing about not getting personal.

This whole forum would be so much better off if the DC forum never existed imo. Half the forum wouldn't hate the other half, and I bet there would still be a lot of IRL meetups.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:01 AM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Agreed - the dude was amazing about not getting personal.

This whole forum would be so much better off if the DC forum never existed imo. Half the forum wouldn't hate the other half, and I bet there would still be a lot of IRL meetups.
You can have both... Patty understood that, I have met folks who are the opposite of me politically at Chiefs events and we had a great time. Hopefully we can have a tailgate at Arrowhead this year in honor of Patty and other lost CP Members.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:18 AM 05-01-2021
Such a class act, and wonderful role model

DC, and this place in general just lost a genuine icon... I'm simply crushed
[Reply]
Page 6 of 14
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up