ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Fix the defense (upcoming offseason version).
Direckshun 10:05 AM 10-05-2021
In the other thread, I asked that you make in-season adjustments to this current roster.

What changes are you willing to make this coming offseason to boost the defense, however?

This can include free agents, cutting our own players, letting our own free agents walk, and draft picks.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:16 PM 11-08-2021
Need pass rushers. That would solve alot of the defense's problems.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:38 PM 11-08-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It's a good draft for it. A fair amount of solid DL talent should be available to us.

Just adding someone like Kwity Paye would be nice. And obviously you hope a year of experience makes Kaindoh at least a sound rotational option. Kaindoh at least provides some length that we could really use on the edge right now. He has the athleticism to be an asset and a little more functional strength is all he really needs to at least go out there and scrap through some viable reps.

There's a path to a solid DL next season. But man there's going to be a lot of needs there, especially with Clark's contract situation and the pending FA of Nnadi and Reed.

Just a lot of holes to fill.
I think a lot of the issues with run defense are discipline related. The pass defense issues this season absolutely are. Guys just aren't doing their jobs the right way.

So while they have a ton of needs, there might be some rotational guys out there that can provide some improvement just by showing up and doing things correctly, at a comparable or lower cost.

But yeah, that have needs at all 4 DL positions.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:53 PM 11-08-2021
I’d like to keep Ingram at a fair deal, sign Ogbah for a lower end deal and draft a ranging safety to replace Sorenson.

I think DE, DB and WR are our top needs
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:55 PM 11-08-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Need pass rushers. That would solve alot of the defense's problems.
True, I specified D line but should've been more specific... give Spags a deep stable of pass rushers, a platoon of guys screaming off the edge
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:20 AM 11-09-2021
Nnadi's okay. He and Saunders I would say are average DT's. if Nnadi's demands are reasonable you could bring him back and between Jones, Nnadi, Saunders, and Wharton you're fine at DT.

If Ingram is reasonable on his demands, you could totally bring him back. Ogbah is a good option, and then Kaindoh is still just potential. I'd probably go DE early in the draft assuming there's a fit. With a couple of proven vets and a couple of young guys you're in decent shape.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:36 AM 11-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I think a lot of the issues with run defense are discipline related. The pass defense issues this season absolutely are. Guys just aren't doing their jobs the right way.

So while they have a ton of needs, there might be some rotational guys out there that can provide some improvement just by showing up and doing things correctly, at a comparable or lower cost.

But yeah, that have needs at all 4 DL positions.
Run defense has been a discipline issue going all the way back to the "Bob Sutton's Complicated Scheme!!!" days.

Run defense is easy and there's not much new under the sun there. Flow, fill. See your gap, hit it. If the RB is there, hit him. If he's not, hit your blocker, engage him, take him out of the play and let someone ELSE hit the ballcarrier.

I got into some stupid Twitter argument on a play where Niemann actually did his job on a run blitz. He hit the guard at the point of contact, drove him back two steps and then got tossed. But by then, the G had been pushed into the running lane, forced the RB into the B gap where Jones was waiting to swallow him up.

Some Twitter moron said "If that's the Oklahoma drill, Niemann lost!" - well no shit. This ISN'T the Oklahoma drill. It was a perfect example of team defense. By neutralizing the guard, Niemann helped that play happen. If he tries to split the G/C, the G can probably take on Jones and the RB has a cut-back lane.

Run defense is 100% discipline. Always has been. Do your job and it will fall into place.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 AM 11-09-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Run defense has been a discipline issue going all the way back to the "Bob Sutton's Complicated Scheme!!!" days.

Run defense is easy and there's not much new under the sun there. Flow, fill. See your gap, hit it. If the RB is there, hit him. If he's not, hit your blocker, engage him, take him out of the play and let someone ELSE hit the ballcarrier.

I got into some stupid Twitter argument on a play where Niemann actually did his job on a run blitz. He hit the guard at the point of contact, drove him back two steps and then got tossed. But by then, the G had been pushed into the running lane, forced the RB into the B gap where Jones was waiting to swallow him up.

Some Twitter moron said "If that's the Oklahoma drill, Niemann lost!" - well no shit. This ISN'T the Oklahoma drill. It was a perfect example of team defense. By neutralizing the guard, Niemann helped that play happen. If he tries to split the G/C, the G can probably take on Jones and the RB has a cut-back lane.

Run defense is 100% discipline. Always has been. Do your job and it will fall into place.
Zone pass defense is very similar in terms of the end goal of staying put and doing your job. And no shocker, they struggle with it too.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up