ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 21
« First < 81415161718 192021 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers
Eleazar 12:54 PM 03-07-2023
Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers, sources say

The New York Jets have had conversations with the Green Bay Packers and with quarterback Aaron Rodgers this week regarding a potential trade of the four-time MVP to the Jets, according to sources.

The sources said some of those conversations were expected to take place Tuesday, but that it's unclear as of Tuesday morning whether they will result in a trade.

Rodgers still has not made any announcements about what he intends to do this season. It's still possible he decides to retire, or to stay in Green Bay. But if he still wants to play and he and the Packers agree it's time for him to play somewhere else, the Jets appear to be a realistic option.

If the Jets are speaking directly with Rodgers, they and he would have had to secure the Packers' permission, as he is still under contract with Green Bay. So, the discussions Rodgers is having with the Jets indicate at least some openness on the part of the Packers to the idea of trading him there.

But there are potential complications to a deal, including Rodgers' huge and complicated contract, that might have to be addressed to make sure both teams would be in compliance with the salary cap by the start of the league year next Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Rodgers is under contract through 2024 for $108.8 million. Technically, the contract, signed last March, runs through 2026, but 2025 and 2026 are considered "dummy" years for cap purposes. His deal includes a fully guaranteed $59.5 million this season, with $58.3 million coming in the form of an option bonus, payable before the start of the regular season.

Because his bonus money is prorated, Rodgers wouldn't hobble the Jets' cap. He would count $15.8 million in 2023 and $32.5 million in 2024, cap-friendly for a player of his stature.

The Packers would get hit with a $40.3 million "dead" charge in 2023 -- nearly $9 million more than he'd count if he were on the roster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-sources-say
[Reply]
alpha_omega 12:29 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I'm sorry, Craig Carton is an idiot but an Aaron Rodgers Jets team is entering the draft a Top 3 team in the AFC alongside KC and the Bengals.

We'll see if the Bills land Hopkins, if KC lands Beckham, if the Bengals can keep Tee Higgins in house. And we'll see how all four teams draft. So there's some balls in the air there that have yet to land.

But my goodness, if we're just looking at rosters right now, then that Jets team has talent absolutely everywhere with a HOF QB, and that's before the draft adds talent.
So, Carton is an idiot, but you basically agree?
[Reply]
Chieftain 12:30 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I'm sorry, Craig Carton is an idiot but an Aaron Rodgers Jets team is entering the draft a Top 3 team in the AFC alongside KC and the Bengals.

We'll see if the Bills land Hopkins, if KC lands Beckham, if the Bengals can keep Tee Higgins in house. And we'll see how all four teams draft. So there's some balls in the air there that have yet to land.

But my goodness, if we're just looking at rosters right now, then that Jets team has talent absolutely everywhere with a HOF QB, and that's before the draft adds talent.
I can make the argument that the Packers team from two years ago which laid an egg against the whiners at home in the playoffs was probably the best team in Rodgers' career. That team was deep and balanced. Better than this version of the Jets team he is about to join, which, let's face it, has a questionable O Line.
I don't see them edge out teams like Cincy.
Jets are being seriously overhyped. Remember, Aaron Fraudgers is a certified choker in the playoffs. Always has been. Needed to beat out Caleb Haney to reach his only lousy SB. Bungholes are still the only legitimate threat to the Chiefs. The others are just scrambling to pick up the leftovers.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 12:35 PM 03-30-2023
Jets might not even be the second best team in their own division.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 12:36 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Chieftain:
.....Remember, Aaron Fraudgers ......
Outstanding. Surprised I haven't heard that before.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:37 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Eesh...

Their defense is really good, were talking Rodgers just playing good and they're winning 12+ games.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:43 PM 03-30-2023
maybe not. We're making some assumptions, Rodgers' level of play being probably the largest one. My theory is that Rodgers will play at least up to 80% of his MVP level from a couple years ago. But I also expect that OL to perform better than they did last season. It'll have to for Rodgers to play at that previously mentioned level. Which would be the second hypothetical domino that has to become reality, and so on.

However, IF that OL performs well in 2023, and Rodgers does play at that 80% level, NYJ will be a very tough out in the AFC-E. They're already a more balanced and complete team than either BUF or MIA. They probably have the best defense in that Division, and the best running game. I don't see any advantage that BUF or MIA could have in coaching, from HC on down through OC/DC.

Just saying I won't be surprised if NYJ ends up winning that division.
[Reply]
penguinz 12:53 PM 03-30-2023
They won 7 games in 2022 with third string level QB play. If Rogers plays at any level above average they will win that division.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:05 PM 03-30-2023
Vikings and Saints in the top 5 is far more offensive than Jets at #1. A motivated Rodgers put together back to back MVP seasons in 20 and 21. If he's even close to that then yes, the Jets will be right there with the Chiefs, Bengals, and Bills in the elite tier. That Jets roster isn't even sneaky good, it's just fucking good.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 01:07 PM 03-30-2023
For some reason the retarded NY media gets absorbed by the rest of the East Coast media machine and they sold us how the Jets were going to make the playoffs last year after they benched Wilson.

Jets went on to choke.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:10 PM 03-30-2023
Well no shit, they were literally playing musical chairs at QB by the end of the regular season. They scored 15 points total over their last 3 games and had 4 QBs taking snaps in that same span. It was a disaster.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:10 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
For some reason the reeruned NY media gets absorbed by the rest of the East Coast media machine and they sold us how the Jets were going to make the playoffs last year after they benched Wilson.

Jets went on to choke.
Exactly. Despite Wilson's obvious shortcomings, they were 5-4 with him in the lineup. His "replacements" proceeded to combine for a 2-6 record.

They're a good team and if they get the QB right, they'll be right there in the playoff hunt. But to be a top 5 team in the AFC, they need to prove it.

It might be good for them to prove they can have a winning record and even MAKE the playoffs before they start crowning them AFCE champions.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:14 PM 03-30-2023
Well, it's also partly based on what seems to be an absolute home run of a draft class they got in 2022. Had the ROYs on both offense and defense and both kids seem like they'll be massive different makers at incredibly important positions going forward.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:21 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Well, it's also partly based on what seems to be an absolute home run of a draft class they got in 2022. Had the ROYs on both offense and defense and both kids seem like they'll be massive different makers at incredibly important positions going forward.
Yeah, on paper they look like a ready-made team, just install competent QB. And I think we saw enough from their RB and WRs to say they've proven that those guys can play at a high level in the NFL. Now Rodgers has to just come in and play to his average, and they'll almost definitely be a playoff team. Aaron's level of play is the only question mark.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:22 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yeah, on paper they look like a ready-made team, just install competent QB. And I think we saw enough from their RB and WRs to say they've proven that those guys can play at a high level in the NFL. Now Rodgers has to just come in and play to his average, and they'll almost definitely be a playoff team. Aaron's level of play is the only question mark.
And they hired Nathaniel Hackett who is literally installing Rodgers offense.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:31 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
And they hired Nathaniel Hackett who is literally installing Rodgers offense.
Yeah, and I'm not a fan of Hackett, but obviously they have a chemistry that's proven to be successful. With a larger array of weapons and a more consistent defense they should be a much better team in 2023.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 21
« First < 81415161718 192021 >
Up