ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 948 of 2688
« First < 448848898938944945946947948 949950951952958998104814481948 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:45 AM 09-10-2018
Mahomes had one glaring miscue all game (there were others, but they weren’t bad) and that was the amount of time he took at the end of the half where we didn’t get to squeeze in a field goal attempt. That was him looking to kill shot instead of taking an easy 3 when he didn’t scramble and instead shaved off more time than he should have looking for a play that wasn’t there.

EASILY coachable thing, and something he’ll learn from.

I said it in a romper thread. Second NFL start and he already plays like a vet quite often. The rookie things will gradually disappear.

We’ve got a QB, gents
[Reply]
-King- 08:59 AM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
If you give a shit about completion percentage you can have Alex Smith and his 70 percent bullshit back.

See how many points you score.

Last year in San Diego Alex needed Kareem Hunt to save his ass after putting up 155 fucking yards on 76% passing.

On a day the defense DOMINATED Rivers.

Fuck cuntpletion percuntage.
Because you can't have great plays AND have a great completion percentage huh? Gotta choose one or the other.

Guess Rodgers and Brees have been doing it wrong this whole time.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
dj56dt58 09:03 AM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by -King-:
Because you can't have great plays AND have a great completion percentage huh? Gotta choose one or the other.

Guess Rodgers and Brees have been doing it wrong this whole time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Care to go back and look at Brees first couple of seasons?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:18 AM 09-10-2018
On the Hill TD off the slant - it was interesting listening to Addae talk about the coverage they had on him. Addae said he had a good angle but Hill flattened it out and give him the space to get underneath him.

You know why Hill could do that? Because Mahomes flicked his wrist and got an absolute missile to him. That 60+ mph throwing velocity that everyone called a gimmick during the runup to the draft was HUGE there. Equally important was how easy that velocity comes - that lightening quick release.

But being able to just flick the ball out immediately and put it on a string to Hill, Hill got that extra step to work with that allowed him to flatten that angle out and get around Addae. Even if Smith stands in and makes that completion (he probably doesn't), Hill doesn't get the extra step he needs to beat Addae's angle and break the tackle. The national media's new favorite darling sophomore, Deshaun Watson, doesn't have the release or velocity to give him that step either.

There are 2 or 3 QBs in football (Rodgers and Stafford) that make that play into a TD. Now there's still only 1 or 2 WRs in football that do it (maybe Brown or OBJ could've done it), so Hill gets credit, too. But make no mistake - Mahomes was a far bigger part of that play than the delusional Broncos fans are willing to admit. That release and arm strength is why that went for 58 instead of 8.
[Reply]
-King- 09:22 AM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by dj56dt58:
Care to go back and look at Brees first couple of seasons?
I never said Mahomes can't or won't improve. Just saying he wasn't very efficient this game. I believe he will come to be more efficient. And as much as we all love him always looking for the deep play, sometimes he does need to check it down. Sometimes he does need to just hit Kelce for the 5-10 yard gains. Sometimes, he shouldn't stretch plays out trying to get the home run. Like at the end of the half yesterday, he shouldnt have rolled out all the way to the right to theow into the end zone. That wasted precious seconds that could have helped us get into field goal position and put more points up on the board.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
O.city 09:24 AM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
On the Hill TD off the slant - it was interesting listening to Addae talk about the coverage they had on him. Addae said he had a good angle but Hill flattened it out and give him the space to get underneath him.

You know why Hill could do that? Because Mahomes flicked his wrist and got an absolute missile to him. That 60+ mph throwing velocity that everyone called a gimmick during the runup to the draft was HUGE there. Equally important was how easy that velocity comes - that lightening quick release.

But being able to just flick the ball out immediately and put it on a string to Hill, Hill got that extra step to work with that allowed him to flatten that angle out and get around Addae. Even if Smith stands in and makes that completion (he probably doesn't), Hill doesn't get the extra step he needs to beat Addae's angle and break the tackle. The national media's new favorite darling sophomore, Deshaun Watson, doesn't have the release or velocity to give him that step either.

There are 2 or 3 QBs in football (Rodgers and Stafford) that make that play into a TD. Now there's still only 1 or 2 WRs in football that do it (maybe Brown or OBJ could've done it), so Hill gets credit, too. But make no mistake - Mahomes was a far bigger part of that play than the delusional Broncos fans are willing to admit. That release and arm strength is why that went for 58 instead of 8.
Plus he had a guy hanging around his ankles.

Middlekauf brought it up during the game on twitter and everyone was like "he threw a slant, no biggie".

I've come to the conclusion that the majority of people are stupid.
[Reply]
-King- 09:24 AM 09-10-2018

And the different angles he can throw in. He side armed that throw. A QB that can throw from any angle is extremely dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
O.city 09:25 AM 09-10-2018
I never said Mahomes can't or won't improve. Just saying he wasn't very efficient this game. I believe he will come to be more efficient. And as much as we all love him always looking for the deep play, sometimes he does need to check it down. Sometimes he does need to just hit Kelce for the 5-10 yard gains. Sometimes, he shouldn't stretch plays out trying to get the home run. Like at the end of the half yesterday, he shouldnt have rolled out all the way to the right to theow into the end zone. That wasted precious seconds that could have helped us get into field goal position and put more points up on the board.
Posted via Mobile Device
The 3 or 4 dropped balls yesterday make that completion percentage above 60 though.

The end of the first half thing was bad for sure.
[Reply]
-King- 09:26 AM 09-10-2018
And I don't think people are talking about the Sherman pass enough. That was probably his best throw yesterday. Perfect pass just inches above a jumping 6'3 defender that fell right in Sherman hands in stride. Think I replayed that play about 15 times.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:27 AM 09-10-2018
And I don't think people are talking about the Sherman pass enough. That was probably his best throw yesterday. Perfect pass just inches above a jumping 6'3 defender that fell right in Sherman hands in stride. Think I replayed that play about 15 times.
Posted via Mobile Device
I legit had tears in my eyes and the biggest fucking smile on my face after that throw.
[Reply]
O.city 09:28 AM 09-10-2018
The rolling right 3 and 13 missile from his own 7 to the 43 was probably my favorite.
[Reply]
-King- 09:29 AM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
The 3 or 4 dropped balls yesterday make that completion percentage above 60 though.

Eh, there's dropped balls every game. That's not a great argument imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:34 AM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:

I'll say the same thing about the drops that I said about them when people made excuses for Cassel and Smith.

I. Don't. Care.

EVERYONE has drops. Every QB in the league has drops and most of them have a roughly equivalent amount. Some have a few more, some a few less but in the end they come out in the wash.

A 55% completion percentage isn't terribly good. And yes, some were dropped, but Hill also made a one handed catch while spinning around into double (triple?) coverage on an underthrown ball and landed on his damn head. That play had little to do with Mahomes. The 2 'completions' on shovel passes? That shit evens out.

He needs to get that completion% up a bit if for no other reason than to give the defense more of a blow. They were pretty damn gassed out there because Mahomes missed a couple balls that could've extended drives. Not a ton, mind you, but a couple. And as a general rule I'll take his aggressiveness over a 70% completion%.

But if he needs to take one or two fewer kamikazee strikes down the field to get that rate up to 60% or so, he probably should. That's kinda a bright red line to me - he needs to stay above that or he's not playing complementary football. It's exciting football, but he'd be doing a pretty major disservice to his defense. 70% means you're probably being a chickenshit. 50-55% means you're putting a lot of pressure on your defense and this defense ain't gonna stand up to that.

60ish% and a good YPA means you're pressing downfield when it's there, keeping defenses honest and keeping drives alive. And when he gets to be truly elite; peak Mahomes (he's nowhere near that yet), he may be able to challenge that 70% without a hiccup and without dialing down aggression. Right now he's not quite there (the throw to Kelce that he rifled for no real reason in the end zone being one of those examples). There's room to improve here and I am confident he will.

And yes, that 60% will be inclusive of drops because drops happen, gents. Just accept that and move along.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:36 AM 09-10-2018
I'll say the same thing about the drops that I said about them when people made excuses for Cassel and Smith.

I. Don't. Care.

EVERYONE has drops. Every QB in the league has drops and most of them have a roughly equivalent amount. Some have a few more, some a few less but in the end they come out in the wash.

A 55% completion percentage isn't terribly good. And yes, some were dropped, but Hill also made a one handed catch while spinning around into double (triple?) coverage on an underthrown ball and landed on his damn head. That play had little to do with Mahomes. The 2 'completions' on shovel passes? That shit evens out.

He needs to get that completion% up a bit if for no other reason than to give the defense more of a blow. They were pretty damn gassed out there because Mahomes missed a couple balls that could've extended drives. Not a ton, mind you, but a couple. And as a general rule I'll take his aggressiveness over a 70% completion%.

But if he needs to take one or two fewer kamikazee strikes down the field to get that rate up to 60% or so, he probably should. That's kinda a bright red line to me - he needs to stay above that or he's not playing complementary football. It's exciting football, but he'd be doing a pretty major disservice to his defense.

And yes, that 60% will be inclusive of drops because drops happen, gents. Just accept that and move along.
i agree, but i think that will come to him
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:36 AM 09-10-2018

I. Don't. Care.

A 55% completion percentage isn't terribly good. And yes, some were dropped, but Hill also made a one handed catch while spinning around into double (triple?) coverage on an underthrown ball and landed on his damn head. That play had little to do with Mahomes.

But if he needs to take one or two fewer kamikazee strikes down the field to get that rate up to 60% or so, he probably should. That's kinda a bright red line to me - he needs to stay above that or he's not playing complementary football. It's exciting football, but he'd be doing a pretty major disservice to his defense.

And I think we'll see more of that out of him from here on out. I don't know if that first half was Reid just seeing what he could do with everything on his shoulders or just letting him go balls to the wall or what. I think the punt return for a TD had a lot to do with it. 3 points allowed in the first two drives by the defense and we were up 7.
[Reply]
Page 948 of 2688
« First < 448848898938944945946947948 949950951952958998104814481948 > Last »
Up