ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What Salsas are you guys running
Buehler445 09:37 PM 06-22-2021
What salsas are you animals eating?

I live in buttfuck nowhere and the salsa selection out here is fucking criminal. Especially given the Latino population out here. Regardless, the little Mexican grocery store I was using had to close down. So ultimately I’m looking for a good salsa I can order online.

I bought some dried peppers I intend to make some of my own, but it will be a couple weeks before I can get a look at it and I’m sure it will take my dumbass several batches before I can get it right.

What do you got?
[Reply]
srvy 10:35 PM 06-22-2021
My wife makes a Thai pepper sauce on a mortar and pestle she likes on fish and seafood. Its pretty hot and an easy pepper to grow in a pot if you have direct sunshine.
[Reply]
srvy 10:48 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
For myself, the Ghost Pepper is just the perfect mix of heat and pepper flavor. Not actual ghost pepper heat, but the flavor is on point. When people come over, it's usually the Habanero. Again, not true habanero heat, but still good flavor. Peach for the ladies...
I think Scotch Bonnet pepper blows away Ghost pepper for flavor not quite the heat scale but hot enough. I have also bought peach scotch bonnet hot pepper sauce for the ladies :-) give it a try.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:54 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
And I've actually bought this at WalMart and it was pretty damn hot... didn't expect that kind of heat from WalMart salsa.

This if I want something really hot, the regular habanero if I want something kinda hot.
[Reply]
srvy 11:02 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Scott City. Other side of the state.

Produce out here is hit or miss I’m not a big pico guy due to the cilantro thing (Baby Lee knows the science better than I do. I’ll defer to his explanation), but it’s on my to do list to make my own salsa after harvest calms down.
Yes, I remember you said once Scott City just a brain fart. Whats wrong with Hays and Colby or Garden City would think they would try to get one still a bit of a drive though.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:05 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I've had their medium salsa verde and medium salsa casera. Both good. Should be available in a store that's not Walmart.
Herdez Salsa Verde is great. Perfect if you want to add some flavor without adding heat. You can get a small pop top can for less than a buck and it's usually more than enough for an entire meal.
[Reply]
srvy 11:05 PM 06-22-2021
Interesting fact. The family that started Pace sold out several years ago to a conglomo. They started a private label salsa business, one of which is Mama Casita salsas at Aldi.
This is the one my son likes at Aldi's

Is this the one you are talking about?
[Reply]
Fishpicker 11:12 PM 06-22-2021
Herdez. It's available at Walmart. Pretty good for a national brand. Lots of flavor options.
herdez taqueira salsa. roja for standard beef tacos. verde for chicken pork and fish

ignore the labels. they are both extremely mild.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:52 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah. Some of y’all are good for more heat than I am. I’m good for a fair bit, but one thing I’ve learned eating some of the authentic stuff out here is that while I’m better than most about handling heat, I still have enough honker whiteboard genetics that I’m not good for the big guns.
It's hard to gauge from person to person, but both the Pain is Good and the Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper, for me they're in that sweet spot where every bite is spicy, but it keeps you coming back for more. It's hotter than you get in most supermarket, but you can taste the flavors, and if the spice doesn't knock you out, you want another, and another, . . . hot, hot, hot!! Oh, just one more. . . If that makes sense.

It's not so hot you take one bite and are out of the spicy game for the afternoon, running around for milk or yogurt, like with pure hot sauces.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:03 AM 06-23-2021
nothing complicated

tomato
onion
serrano
cilantro
lime
salt
pepper
dash of oil

occasionally garlic

throw it an a blender and done. sometimes blacken the tomatoes
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 12:05 AM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
herdez taqueira salsa. roja for standard beef tacos. verde for chicken pork and fish

ignore the labels. they are both extremely mild.
tried the original

tasted more tomato than salsa to me.
[Reply]
srvy 12:12 AM 06-23-2021
The Mexicans seem to love it as they load up on Herdez in the market. I think they put the heat in the food and the sauce is just a condiment but could be wrong.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:25 AM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
The Mexicans seem to love it as they load up on Herdez in the market. I think they put the heat in the food and the sauce is just a condiment but could be wrong.
For work lunch I grabbed some quinoa edamame salad from a local grocery store and added a small can of Herdez Salsa Verde to it. It has been very hot here so I am eating pretty light right now. It was delicious. The salad looked like this:

The salsa really sent the flavor over the top. It was really, really good.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:55 AM 06-23-2021
I go with the made fresh daily Latino store route for the most part but will typically keep a Herdez Salsa Taquera in the fridge.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:58 AM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by srvy:
I grabbed this over the winter and used it with some leftover pulled pork to made a pork verde soup. Good stuff.
[Reply]
oldman 06:46 AM 06-23-2021
Art's Mexican in Amourdale used to do their own and I'd buy it by the case. The last time I was down there, the lady said it hasn't been hot enough for good peppers and they haven't made it in a couple of years.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up