ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Why are Rivers and Eli HOF candidates?
RunKC 04:30 PM 06-22-2021
Just hearing this garbage about these guys is annoying as hell. Why do they get to get in?

What has Rivers done besides stat padding?

Eli never had an all pro season, never had a QB rating higher than 94 and won all of his postseason games with defenses that gave up 21 or less points.

Is the HOF really going this soft? Will they literally let just anyone that’s played forever in?
[Reply]
Eureka 01:42 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by sedated:
Eli was the QB of 2 super bowl winners, including one being an historic comeback against a (previously) 18-0 team.

Rivers is well inside the top 10 of pretty much every passing category there is.

Nitpick all you want, but electing those guys is not the "NFL going soft". There are many more questionable picks already in the Hall than those guys.
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
Eli has 2 rings.

Pretty simple.
Originally Posted by Bump:
Eli has 2 Superbowl rings and Rivers has stats
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
As for Eli, the dude won two Super Bowls for the New York Giants. He's a shoo-in.
James William Plunkett (born December 5, 1947) is a former American football quarterback who played in the National Football League (NFL) for sixteen seasons. ... He is the only eligible quarterback with two Super Bowl wins as a starter not to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Raiders were the first team to ever win the SB as a wildcard team. Jim Plunkett started that season as the backup.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:43 PM 06-23-2021
Eli is the definition of championship clutch. Not sure I really have a problem with that.

Rivers is a compiler. Stats are stats. Dude doesn't belong in the HoF.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:18 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Eureka:
James William Plunkett (born December 5, 1947) is a former American football quarterback who played in the National Football League (NFL) for sixteen seasons. ... He is the only eligible quarterback with two Super Bowl wins as a starter not to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Raiders were the first team to ever win the SB as a wildcard team. Jim Plunkett started that season as the backup.
Plunket threw for only 25,000 yards, 164 TD's versus 198 INT's with a completion percentage of 52.5, which is dreadful, with an overall starting record of 72-72.

Plunkett isn't in the NFL HoF because he does not deserve Hall of Fame status.

He's like the Trent Dilfer of Super Bowl QB's.
[Reply]
EPodolak 02:46 PM 06-23-2021
Are they official candidates? Hadn't heard that...

I'd say the likelihood a guy who won Superbowls in New York and is named Manning has a good chance....

Rivers accomplished some things most guys don't, sure. Wouldn't he be the only QB to never appear in a SB in the hall? Don't know if he's got as much chance, unless of course his children are voting.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:53 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Are they official candidates? Hadn't heard that...
Every former NFL player is eligible for the Hall of Fame five years after they've retired, so neither is on the 2021 ballot
[Reply]
CoMoChief 03:49 PM 06-23-2021
Wonder how many SB's Rivers could have won with the NYG and some of those good defenses and players?
[Reply]
sedated 04:00 PM 06-23-2021
For some reason I don't have much problem with Rivers going in, but shudder at the thought of Matt Ryan going in. No clue why. Especially given that if Rivers was on Atlanta, they never would have made it to that one super bowl. Guess I need to reconsider.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 04:18 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Wonder how many SB's Rivers could have won with the NYG and some of those good defenses and players?
Zero because he would have negated that with an untimely interception.

Also don’t forget that the Chargers had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL during the first 5-6 years of his career as a starting QB.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:28 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
He played on several Chargers teams with Super Bowl talent on both sides. They just always choked.
[Reply]
sedated 04:44 PM 06-23-2021
Rivers was literally so addicted to F-ing up games that he fumbled the snap on a kneel down.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 06:43 AM 06-25-2021
Well, we are in the era of great stats and longevity = HOF

Eli won 2 rings and had a fairly solid career... not shocked at all and yes, he will get into the HOF. #8 career passing yards / #9 career TDs

Fun oddity, 117/117 record.

Rivers... yeah, no way to really defend it. Ranks higher than Eli on some stats rankings. And, has actually won more games with a 134-106 record and played 1 more season.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 06:45 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by sedated:
For some reason I don't have much problem with Rivers going in, but shudder at the thought of Matt Ryan going in. No clue why. Especially given that if Rivers was on Atlanta, they never would have made it to that one super bowl. Guess I need to reconsider.
Matt Ryan definitely gets in as well... same with Stafford, bank on it.
[Reply]
oldman 06:57 AM 06-25-2021
Empty stats are just that, empty stats. The way I look at the QB position is like this. When the game is on the line, can he put the team on his back and win? Not just once or twice, but week in and week out. Rivers -- biggest choker in the NFL. Eli --the D won those SBs, he just put enough points on the board. Ryan -- bitch, please. Stafford -- maybe someday. Guys like Dawson, Montana, Unitas, Aikman, and Farve (just to name a few) are true HoFers.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:31 AM 06-25-2021
The HOF is a pile of shit. It's a mandated 5 players in every year TV show and a game for money. That's it. There are not players worthy every year so they just let mother fuckers in on unworthy creds constantly. Terrell Davis maybe the worst. He had a great like 2 years and that's it and he stopped playing. How the hell does that stack up to other greats that played 5 times as long?

It doesn't and it's bullshit.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:33 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
Empty stats are just that, empty stats. The way I look at the QB position is like this. When the game is on the line, can he put the team on his back and win? Not just once or twice, but week in and week out. Rivers -- biggest choker in the NFL. Eli --the D won those SBs, he just put enough points on the board. Ryan -- bitch, please. Stafford -- maybe someday. Guys like Dawson, Montana, Unitas, Aikman, and Farve (just to name a few) are true HoFers.
My problem with Rivers isn't stats. How many times did he even win his own division? Almost never and there wasn't even a stud QB in it stopping him for many years.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up