ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Rust on pre-owned vehicle
Jenson71 07:33 PM 06-21-2021
I understand very little about vehicles or other things with a motor. I found a good pre-owned vehicle from 2013 for the right price and it checks every necessary box. However, an acquaintance of mine holds the opinion that I should pass on the vehicle because of some rust on the inside lower frame of the driver's door. It's unnoticeable from the outside. But the acquaintance says that in a year from now, the rust will spread and the vehicle will look like trash.

The rust is not a tiny spot on the frame, but rather kind of spread out on that door.

I don't care about the rust as it is, so if I can do some work to maintain it rather than fix it, I'm good with that.

Should this be a deal-breaker?
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 09:06 AM 06-22-2021
Sounds to me like it may have been in a flood.
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:51 AM 06-22-2021
Good luck finding anything worth a shit for a reasonable price in the current market.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:56 AM 06-22-2021
The only vehicle I drive that is rust free is my wife's car. Of course everything is also dirt cheap stuff. But they do what I need them to do and that's all I care about.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:08 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Good luck finding anything worth a shit for a reasonable price in the current market.
Not in the used car market so was somewhat surprised when reading an inflation article which noted a 30% price increase on used vehicles. That's hefty.
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:13 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Not in the used car market so was somewhat surprised when reading an inflation article which noted a 30% price increase on used vehicles. That's hefty.
I was in the market for a used SUV a month ago, wanted a 10-12 yr old Grand Cherokee but anything nice was 2-3k over book...fuck that. Ended up with a Chevy Trailblazer with minor body damage but at least the price was within reason. And it's only gotten worse since then.
[Reply]
penguinz 11:17 AM 06-22-2021
If the only rust is the door then doors are easily replaceable.

Any decent repair person can fix most rust issues unless it is waaay gone.
[Reply]
D.A.P. 05:22 PM 06-22-2021
It’s a unicorn with rust. Buy immediately.
[Reply]
Valiant 05:49 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by hometeam:
If I am appraising a vehicle, and there is any visible rust whatsoever, it is instantly a wholesale vehicle, no matter how nice. Can not retail it. Huge value deduction.

Rust can only be truly fixed by cutting the vehicle apart and welding new sheet metal in, and even then you better hope they did a good job because if a speck is left behind it will soon be a spot, then a bubble, then full blown cancer.

Shit I just bought a new truck and ended up with an aluminum truck partly because so many even pretty new trucks had rust.

For me both in my business, and in my personal life, rust is an absolute deal breaker for any vehicle.
Patina adds character.
[Reply]
Eureka 06:07 PM 06-22-2021
You can drive a rust bucket.
[Reply]
Jenson71 06:45 PM 06-22-2021
Salesman offered to take off $1k from asking price and said the shop could fix it...

It would be mighty tempting if they took off another $1,500.
[Reply]
Jenson71 06:55 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Is it a Chevy?

It's a Chevy isn't it?
Chrysler
[Reply]
REDHOTGTO 07:26 PM 06-22-2021
really depends on what kind of price were talking about, is this a 25000.00 car or a 5000.00 car ? how far below nada book is it? all this makes a difference, rust happens, depends on if you can put up with it or not. might be a perfectly good mechanical car just cosmetically a little bad. gotta weigh all this out for YOU
[Reply]
Bob Dole 07:31 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
I was in the market for a used SUV a month ago, wanted a 10-12 yr old Grand Cherokee but anything nice was 2-3k over book...**** that. Ended up with a Chevy Trailblazer with minor body damage but at least the price was within reason. And it's only gotten worse since then.
Well, since the used car inventory was reduced by 685,000 vehicles 12 years ago, high cost and low availability isn't really a shocker.
[Reply]
Jenson71 07:32 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by REDHOTGTO:
really depends on what kind of price were talking about, is this a 25000.00 car or a 5000.00 car ? how far below nada book is it? all this makes a difference, rust happens, depends on if you can put up with it or not. might be a perfectly good mechanical car just cosmetically a little bad. gotta weigh all this out for YOU
$15996, which is actually above the Nada "clean retail" by about over $2k.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 07:53 PM 06-22-2021
Vehicles are tools. Like a hammer. Who gives a shit what it looks like.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up