ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>So found out my cat is diabetic..
Mecca 12:40 PM 06-21-2021
Anyone have any experience in having a pet with this condition and what that's like?
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:24 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
With my cat it's pretty simple really. He was a rescue. He was just this tiny little malnourished orange cat. He looked like he was at the end of his rope, rough hair, skin and bones. But he came up to my kids one day outside and he was just super friendly and I felt bad for him so we took him in.

He probably gained 10lbs in 2 months. He was kitten size and then full cat size in the snap of a finger. But because of that experience he's always been an overeater, he can't get out of his head that he's going to starve so he must eat as much as he can.

So basically if you free feed and he's a food hoarder this can happen. My other 3 don't eat like that so I don't worry about them.

But even with all that only about 1% of cats will actually be diabetic.
All of our rescue animals overeat. Every single one of them. The animals we raised from birth don't do it, at least not to the degree the rescues do.

We have one dog who gets a mouthful of food and carries it into the hallway before he actually eats it.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:26 PM 06-22-2021
Our 13 yr old Bichon was diagnosed with Diabetes a couple of years ago and it was a struggle until recently we found out he had Cushing's disease and now he is pretty much blind because of glaucoma.

Currently we cook him special food every week and give him 9 units of insulin twice a day.

We love him to death but we can't go anywhere (traveling) until he is gone.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:26 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
All of our rescue animals overeat. Every single one of them. The animals we raised from birth don't do it, at least not to the degree the rescues do.

We have one dog who gets a mouthful of food and carries it into the hallway before he actually eats it.
I think it's because they remember not being able to find food so when it's available they have to eat as much as possible. It's like something they can't turn off.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 02:32 PM 06-22-2021
You could sell the cat to Subway and they can make some tuna out of it.

I'm going to hell for that.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:32 PM 06-22-2021
god why is this thread at the top

fuck
[Reply]
Pablo 02:33 PM 06-22-2021
Just remember, you gotta taste it's pee every morning to check sugar levels. If it starts tasting like Mt. Dew you've got a rad-as-fuck cat and you should probably buy it a skateboard.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:40 PM 06-22-2021
Some cats are dicks like people, but if you find one you have a bond with it's very satisfying.
I used to have cats when I was a younger adult. Plus, my family always had them when I was a kid. I understand what you mean but I just don't have a desire to own another cat. Dogs are much more fun.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:43 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I used to have cats when I was a younger adult. Plus, my family always had them when I was a kid. I understand what you mean but I just don't have a desire to own another cat. Dogs are much more fun.
I like basically all animals, I'm not at the point I really want to own a dog, they're more work etc.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:44 PM 06-22-2021
I like basically all animals, I'm not at the point I really want to own a dog, they're more work etc.
In the end, dogs aren't more work.

Total cost of ownership on a cat is MUCH higher. Dogs don't get on your china hutch and knock expensive shit off.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:46 PM 06-22-2021
I think it's because they remember not being able to find food so when it's available they have to eat as much as possible. It's like something they can't turn off.
I think you're right but I think it is more just ingrained in their DNA. Both my males scarf down food like there's no tomorrow. One was in a foster with 7 other dogs but the other grew up with just him and his brother until I rescued them. But scarfing down food is not healthy, either. I buy those slow feeder bowls.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:47 PM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
In the end, dogs aren't more work.

Total cost of ownership on a cat is MUCH higher. Dogs don't get on your china hutch and knock expensive shit off.
I've actually never had a cat do that, my mother in law's dog ate her couch cause he was mad though...

The worst thing any cat I've had has done was shit in the floor because he was being defiant.
[Reply]
Lzen 02:50 PM 06-22-2021
I've actually never had a cat do that, my mother in law's dog ate her couch cause he was mad though...

The worst thing any car I've had has done was shit in the floor because he was being defiant.
The dog that ate up the couch wasn't mad. Dogs need to dissipate energy, especially when they're young. It was probably just frustrated. Of course, some breeds are more energetic than others. When I had my first boxers, we got them when they were just pups. They needed a walk every day. Of course, life gets busy and sometimes that isn't always possible. But we did manage to walk them at least 5 days out of the week. They do calm down a bit by about 3 years of age.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:53 PM 06-22-2021
We've had dozens of dogs over the years and the only thing I've ever had a dog destroy is another dog or a varmint.

I've never had a dog destroy actual property other than a stray piss. You can keep them away from destruction simply by putting things out of reach.

Cats, on the other hand, go wherever they want. Nothing is sacred.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:57 PM 06-22-2021
I have a white cat that wants in the fireplace all the time, it's like wtf is wrong with you?
[Reply]
DaFace 04:15 PM 06-22-2021
I'm a dog lover who doesn't live a dog lifestyle. My wife and I (pre-COVID anyway) typically go out of town at least once a month and do a couple "big trips" a year. With our cats, we just find someone to drop by to check on them each day. While I'd love to have a dog, it's just not worth the reduction in flexibility it would come with.

Instead, we just live vicariously through our friends who have dogs. Much easier that way. :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up