ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>So found out my cat is diabetic..
Mecca 12:40 PM 06-21-2021
Anyone have any experience in having a pet with this condition and what that's like?
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:52 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
My ex's cat has it and we maintained it for 12 years. Two insulin shots daily and special food.

If maintained, your kitty will be fine.
Sounds like a royal PITA.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:13 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
We have over a dozen cats. Some of them have dietary restrictions (we're an overflow for the rescue league).

You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFlap-MPF0..._t1_B00DRBFBVM
If anyone has any questions on this, let me know. I have two of these due to one of my cats having kidney disease. They work great.
[Reply]
eDave 03:18 PM 06-21-2021
It becomes routine. Fairly expensive though and with lots of vet trips at first to balance out dosage to maintain healthy glucose levels.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:19 PM 06-21-2021
It's not quite the same, but we had to do sub-q fluids twice a day for a year or so for one of my cats (who passed last September). It's obviously a PITA, and if you've got a busy family, it would be very difficult. For us, though (no kids), it was almost a nice bonding experience when our cat was otherwise fairly immobile.

Sucked like hell when she finally went though. Suddenly getting like 20 minutes of your day back that used to be "her time" made the house feel pretty empty.
[Reply]
DanT 03:34 PM 06-21-2021
Our older Samoyed was diagnosed with diabetes early this year, after having numerous seizures during the holidays, before we could get a vet appointment. Poor girl has had a whole series of health issues, including an autoimmune disorder that causes her immune system to attack pigment-containing cells. For a Sammy, there's not a lot of pigment, but the retinas are pigmented and we battled for years to preserve her vision before having to take out her eyeballs. Now, we struggle trying to get through the night without her moaning. During the day, she's fine, but nights are rough on her. Managing the diabetes isn't too bad. We have to inject her with insulin twice a day and try to stay on top of her glucose readings. I'm still trying to figure out how best to dispose of the sharps. For the first couple of containers, I bought an container that costs about $12 and then another $20 or so to send via USPS to a proper facility, but recently I learned that my county's landfill will take the sharps, so I just need to figure out a cheap option for a container.
I've sorta looked at the managing of the diabetes as practice for when I get diabetes, as it runs in my family. However, I might not get it for at least a few years, if I'm lucky, because I've lost about 25% of my body mass during this pandemic, jogging a lot and not eating all the unhealthy food I enjoy too much. :-)

Good luck with your cat's diabetes.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:35 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Not to rain on your hopes, but you're more than likely in for shots everyday. Best you can hope for is lower dosages of insulin based on your cat's bloodwork.
So I'm back from my appointment, 2 shots a day of 2 units. They told me his food wasn't an issue unless I want to buy expensive md food which I don't really believe.

I'm going to cut out free feeding and move away from dry food.
[Reply]
Mennonite 03:40 PM 06-21-2021

Originally Posted by eDave:
It becomes routine.

Tell that to the cat.

[Reply]
Dunit35 03:45 PM 06-21-2021
Had a diabetic husky for two years. Two shots daily and grain free food. At first, our vet came over once a week to check her levels until we got her insulin dosage and food at the right levels.

It was easy to see if her levels were off. She’d drink a ton of water and obviously pee a lot. We had to put her to sleep due to a back problem that had nothing to do with her diabetic issues.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 03:55 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If anyone has any questions on this, let me know. I have two of these due to one of my cats having kidney disease. They work great.
Benazepril really turned around a cat I have who was starting to decline due to kidney issues. Went from losing weight and just laying around most of the time to putting on muscle and chasing his sister around the house at all hours of the night like he used to when he was younger. He was a rescue so I don't know for sure, but he's in the area of 16 yrs old.
[Reply]
Coach 06:56 PM 06-21-2021
Sorry to hear about that Mecca, but it sounds like y'all got it identified early, so that's good.

And whoever said get syringes from other instead of your vet, I agree with that. You can also request some from Hy-vee as well, usually it's free.

I'm assuming the medication you're being given for your cat is orally? If so, a suggestion is to get a old bath towel/blanket, and just try to wrap your cat (with it's head sticking out obviously) like a burrito, so that way you don't get clawed (if not de-clawed) and also helps keeps them still so they don't fidget around while providing the meds orally.

Also when providing it orally, gently grab their cheekbones to immobilize their head for a brief moment while administering the meds.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 07:32 PM 06-21-2021
My brother and his wife have a diabetic dog who then went blind. It has not been an enjoyable experience for them.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:40 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by Coach:
Sorry to hear about that Mecca, but it sounds like y'all got it identified early, so that's good.

And whoever said get syringes from other instead of your vet, I agree with that. You can also request some from Hy-vee as well, usually it's free.

I'm assuming the medication you're being given for your cat is orally? If so, a suggestion is to get a old bath towel/blanket, and just try to wrap your cat (with it's head sticking out obviously) like a burrito, so that way you don't get clawed (if not de-clawed) and also helps keeps them still so they don't fidget around while providing the meds orally.

Also when providing it orally, gently grab their cheekbones to immobilize their head for a brief moment while administering the meds.
No oral medication at this time, just changing his diet and an injection every 12 hours.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:46 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's not quite the same, but we had to do sub-q fluids twice a day for a year or so for one of my cats (who passed last September). It's obviously a PITA, and if you've got a busy family, it would be very difficult. For us, though (no kids), it was almost a nice bonding experience when our cat was otherwise fairly immobile.

Sucked like hell when she finally went though. Suddenly getting like 20 minutes of your day back that used to be "her time" made the house feel pretty empty.
I guess I've gotten to the point where I know what the shelters feel like. There's NO WAY we could devote that much time and money towards just one animal - the rest would likely suffer. We've got a paraplegic dog that has to be hand-fed and cleaned because he has no bodily control and he's almost more than we can handle.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:23 AM 06-22-2021
I guess I've gotten to the point where I know what the shelters feel like. There's NO WAY we could devote that much time and money towards just one animal - the rest would likely suffer. We've got a paraplegic dog that has to be hand-fed and cleaned because he has no bodily control and he's almost more than we can handle.
Odd question is he really difficult or does he act like he knows. So far my cat acts way more appreciative than I expected, it's like animals just know.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:25 AM 06-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Odd question is he really difficult or does he act like he knows. So far my cat acts way more appreciative than I expected, it's like animals just know.
He was definitely happy about it at first. As he degenerates over time, though he gets more and more stubborn and belligerent. Probably about time to put him to sleep, unfortunately.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up