ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3524 of 3903
« First < 2524302434243474351435203521352235233524 3525352635273528353435743624 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 10:51 AM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Having to divert covid patients from out hospitals here in Springfield to KC and STL and LR.

160 patients currently in there.
:-)
[Reply]
Monticore 10:53 AM 06-23-2021
We are getting a spike in the homeless population and local jail right now not sure if its the delta or not but jail were all vaxxed, all residents no staff.
[Reply]
NotDonger 11:00 AM 06-23-2021
CDC saying that it's likely that at least 20% of nationwide new cases are now Delta, and as high is 46% in places.

Seems clear that Delta is going to become the predominant strain, just like Alpha became the same for us.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:04 AM 06-23-2021
COVID-19 is becoming more mild

COVID-19 has been presenting as a common cold since May. So said (6 mins in) Prof Tim Spector, who runs the Zoe Symptom tracker app. Headache, sore throat and runny nose are now the three most common presenting symptoms. There is no loss of smell and cough is only the fifth most common symptom.

Rather than present this for the good news it is, the researchers chose to present it as a warning that people may fail to recognise it. If COVID-19 is becoming more mild in its symptomatology, fewer people will develop severe symptoms and fewer people will die. One of the old circulating common cold coronaviruses, OC43, was thought to have begun as a pandemic strain meaning there is a precedent for such an evolution. If this is the case it is undoubtedly good news.

Is there evidence of this effect in hospital admission data? A simple way to analyse the data is to compare total cases diagnosed in one week with hospital admissions a week later. Taking cases for the week ending 31 May and comparing them to admissions to hospital of already diagnosed cases the week ending 7 June, the hospitalisation rate was 18% for the Alpha variant and only 3.4% for the Delta variant.

It could be argued that this is because older people are not catching the Delta variant (Indian variant), yet. Indeed, models which account for the age difference purport to show that the Delta variant is more dangerous. There have been only 223 total admissions of patients diagnosed in the community since February. Is it really reasonable to conclude that the Delta strain leads to more hospital admissions by age based on such small numbers, especially when the raw data shows it leads to 1/6th of the admissions of the Alpha variant?

The overall percentage of cases that end up in hospital has fallen since the Delta variant became dominant. Furthermore, the slight rise in hospital admissions has not translated into the expected rise in total patients. This means that the length of stay for patients admitted with a positive test is shorter than it was before, again indicating good news.

Claims also continue to be made that the Delta variant is more transmissible. The best real world measure of the transmissibility of a variant is the secondary attack rate: the proportion of contacts that catch the virus from a known case. Much has been made of the higher transmission rate in the Delta variant. The transmission rate of a new variant will, by definition, be higher than the current variant. However, the transmission rate for the Alpha (UK) variant fell from 15% to 8% over the last 6 months at a fairly constant rate independent of the level of vaccination. The transmission rate for the Delta variant peaked at less than 14% and is already falling. The transmission rate need only be slightly higher than the Alpha variant for the Delta to become dominant, as it has, but the other claims about transmissibility have been overblown.

Overall there is minimal real world evidence of the Delta variant behaving in a significantly more transmissible or dangerous way and the symptomatology appears to be becoming more mild.

https://www.hartgroup.org/covid-19-i...ing-more-mild/
[Reply]
suzzer99 06-23-2021, 11:28 AM
This message has been deleted by suzzer99.
O.city 01:34 PM 06-23-2021
Having to divert covid patients from out hospitals here in Springfield to KC and STL and LR.

160 patients currently in there.
65% of those currently in ICU apparently are under 40
[Reply]
NotDonger 01:48 PM 06-23-2021
65% of those currently in ICU apparently are under 40
That's a shame. Any idea how many are un-vaccinated?
[Reply]
O.city 01:57 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by NotDonger:
That's a shame. Any idea how many are un-vaccinated?
Last he said was all of the young ones. The elderly they had who had been vaccinated all had some type of immunological issue.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 03:13 PM 06-23-2021
Great job Missouri.

@AP: As the U.S. emerges from the COVID-19 crisis, Missouri is becoming a cautionary tale for the country: It is seeing an alarming rise in cases because of a combination of the fast-spreading delta variant and resistance among many people to get vaccinated. http://apne.ws/m47ql89

@DrEricDing: BREAKING—Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday the #DeltaVariant now accounts for ~20% of newly diagnosed cases in U.S. and **will become dominant #COVID19 strain** within weeks. FT also estimated 31%, meaning it’s doubled/tripled in 1 week! HT @Dawn_Kopecki
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/delt...ses-in-us.html https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...916801/photo/1
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:15 PM 06-23-2021
Last he said was all of the young ones. The elderly they had who had been vaccinated all had some type of immunological issue.
So it seems like the rule still stands that a healthy vaccinated person should be okay, right? I have to go to SW Missouri in a couple of months and I don't want to die there.
[Reply]
NotDonger 03:28 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
So it seems like the rule still stands that a healthy vaccinated person should be okay, right? I have to go to SW Missouri in a couple of months and I don't want to die there.
Latest I saw was 79% efficacy of the mRNA vaccines against the Delta variant, so lower than against Alpha, but still impressive. They reduce the risk of hospitalization after infection with Delta by 96%
[Reply]
O.city 04:05 PM 06-23-2021
The mRNA are still in the 90s with delta so I wouldn’t worry
[Reply]
NotDonger 04:14 PM 06-23-2021
The mRNA are still in the 90s with delta so I wouldn’t worry
Are you sure about that? They are in the 90s at lowering the risk of hospitalization, but not of developing COVID-19 from what I've read:

According to figures gathered by Public Health Scotland and published in the Lancet, at least two weeks after the second dose of Covid jabs, protection against infection fell from 92% for the Alpha variant to 79% against the Delta variant for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:20 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
A healthy vaccinated person has an extremely low risk of getting ill enough to require hospitalization let alone dying.

Like I'm guessing lower than the risk of being hospitalized or killed in a car crash during your trip.

And keep your vitamin D3 levels up just to be sure.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:15 PM 06-23-2021
The big question is does a vaccinated person with no symptoms who tests positive still spread it? Hopefully someone is studying that because it could be very very important.
[Reply]
Fish 02:13 AM 06-24-2021
Alarming rise of COVID cases in Missouri fueled by vaccine resistance, Delta variant

[...]

While over 53% of all Americans have received at least one shot, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most southern and northern Missouri counties are well short of 40%. One county is at just 13%.

Cases remain below their winter highs in southwestern Missouri, but the trajectory is steeper than in previous surges, Frederick said. As of Tuesday, 153 COVID-19 patients were hospitalized at Mercy and another Springfield hospital, Cox Health, up from 31 just over a month ago, county figures show.

These patients are also younger than earlier in the pandemic — 60% to 65% of those in the ICU over the weekend at Mercy were under 40, according to Frederick, who noted that younger adults are much less likely to be vaccinated — and some are pregnant.

He is hiring traveling nurses and respiratory therapists to help out his fatigued staff as the rest of the country tries to leave the pandemic behind.

“I feel like last year at this time it was health care heroes and everybody was celebrating and bringing food to the hospital and doing prayer vigils and stuff, and now everyone is like, ‘The lake is open. Let’s go.’ We are still here doing this,” he said.

There are also warning signs across the state line: Arkansas on Tuesday reported its biggest one-day jump in cases in more than three months. The state also has low vaccination rates.
[Reply]
Page 3524 of 3903
« First < 2524302434243474351435203521352235233524 3525352635273528353435743624 > Last »
Up