ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 23
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Shared fences and eminent domain
007 07:29 PM 05-18-2018
I have some problematic neighbors that allow a their weed and bush overgrowth to constantly take over the shared fence in my back yard. I trim this shit back multiple times per year and am getting rather sick of it invading my yard. What's really aggravating is that five feet of my yard is on their side of the fence. Unfortunately the fence has been there since before we moved in. It's a battle I'm tired of fighting.

I'm curious what others in similar situations have done. I've tried talking to them before but none of them give a shit since the growth from their weeds is on my side. Not their problem and all that BS.

Picture attached for reference. I don't think antifreeze and aids infected needles will help here.
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:55 PM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
I read that part before my first post. I just offered you the only solution likely to get you anywhere. They aren't going to bust their asses chopping hedge. You know how big of a pain that is first hand. They certainly aren't going to do whatever it takes to help you maintain your side of the fence, nor do i wager you want them in your backyard trimming shit anyway. Offer to pay to remove the brush problem completely and pay for a new privacy fence, or be prepared to live with the current situation.

Or hire lawyers and end up in the same boat anyway, less the cost of the lawyers. You ain't getting them to pay for that shit no matter how much you wish it.
Or the neighbors think its his yard from the survey when they bought their house and wonder why he doesn't take care of his yard better.

I wonder what forum their thread about him is on
[Reply]
007 10:19 PM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Or the neighbors think its his yard from the survey when they bought their house and wonder why he doesn't take care of his yard better.

I wonder what forum their thread about him is on
NOt the case. When we moved in, I spoke with both neighbors and both acted as if its their yard. Again, I don't care about the 3-5 feet. But I do care that they don't do anything on their side of the fence. One of them even asked me to not touch the vine on the fence because that was their way of having a privacy fence.
[Reply]
007 10:21 PM 06-05-2018
I've considered just putting up my own privacy fence 3 inches away from the chain link fence but have a feeling that would just cause other issues.
[Reply]
tmax63 06:19 AM 06-06-2018
I understand you don't care about the 3-5 feet. I would propose that getting this straightened out now with accurate surveys and boundaries marked will make your property sell better/easier when/if you decide to move. Nobody wants to buy a boundary dispute and neighbor problems if they have a choice.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 06:26 AM 06-06-2018
Get your property re-assessed since you've lost 5' x ?? feet of yardage along the one side of your house.
[Reply]
threebag 08:28 AM 06-06-2018
"Hey Honey, that Beta that just bought the house next door, he expects me to do his yard work... :-). Now go grab me a beer and make me a sandwich"
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:13 AM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by 007:
NOt the case. When we moved in, I spoke with both neighbors and both acted as if its their yard. Again, I don't care about the 3-5 feet. But I do care that they don't do anything on their side of the fence. One of them even asked me to not touch the vine on the fence because that was their way of having a privacy fence.
Then I would call they city and have them cited for not taking care of their yard
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:29 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
Then I would call they city and have them cited for not taking care of their yard
and have it surveyed. You do not want a mess if you sell. If they do, it is their mess.

I am getting a metal detector Friday and marking the property.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 06:08 AM 06-07-2018
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
and have it surveyed. You do not want a mess if you sell. If they do, it is their mess.

I am getting a metal detector Friday and marking the property.

[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:23 PM 06-07-2018
Agreed. Whatever it is called, my general understanding of the subject regarding property lines, is that once a line is established it just shifts to the other owner after a certain number of years. The fence was in before we moved in 14 years ago.

the clock restarted when you moved in. If you have maintained or mowed it even once that resets the cvlock.
[Reply]
007 11:55 PM 06-07-2018
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
the clock restarted when you moved in. If you have maintained or mowed it even once that resets the cvlock.
So basically I'm resetting the clock every summer.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 08:30 AM 06-08-2018
So basically I'm resetting the clock every summer.

yes. Adverse possession only comes into play if your neighbor openly takens active possession and you obviously relinquish your claim by allowing it and not taking any steps to assert your ownership (like maintaining it).
[Reply]
Amnorix 06-08-2018, 08:47 AM
This message has been deleted by Amnorix. Reason: I'm comically late to the thread with this...
Amnorix 08:49 AM 06-08-2018
That's the problem. Eminent domain laws would support them because of how long the fence has been in place. All of the roots for this shit is on their side. I can whack all the crap down on my side but can't stop this shit from growing.

Adverse possession.

Eminent domain is when the government takes your land to build a highway on it or whatever. That isn't this. This is adverse possesion, which is when someone openly and obviously claims someone else's land for a sufficient period of time.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:08 PM 06-13-2019
update---9 trees going in on Saturday.
[Reply]
007 07:48 PM 06-13-2019
Update on mine as well. Back into the jungle.

Oh, and now I have a problem with our neighbors aggressive dogs destroying our "shared" fence.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 23
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up