ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 360
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***
BigRedChief 12:29 PM 03-17-2015
Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
[Reply]
KC native 02:01 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Silock:
I thought about that, but I've never welded before. Welding in new motor mounts sounds like not something I want to do as a first-timer.
Have a buddy that welds help or take it to a shop for that part.

My dad is a highly skilled welder and I told him I wanted to do that and like you I've never welded, he said, "That is simple junkyard welding. Just practice on a piece before doing the welds. Since it doesn't have to pass an x-ray test or look pretty, it's pretty hard to fuck it up."
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:02 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by rtmike:
White Mustang.

Those are bad ass little cars. Back when I worked, a buddy was big into Mustangs. He built a 10 second pig out of one.

His birthday cake & 600 HP horse. He likes Mustangs.

I loved my Mustang. Coolest car I ever owned. At least for another 8 weeks. Pic is after 144K miles and 10 years.

[Reply]
rtmike 03:14 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by KC native:

My dad is a highly skilled welder and I told him I wanted to do that and like you I've never welded, he said, "That is simple junkyard welding. Just practice on a piece before doing the welds. Since it doesn't have to pass an x-ray test or look pretty, it's pretty hard to **** it up."

Anyone ever check to see if someone was making a bolt in motor mount? For my Charger I used an outfit that specialized in them.
[Reply]
KC native 03:16 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by rtmike:
Anyone ever check to see if someone was making a bolt in motor mount? For my Charger I used an outfit that specialized in them.
To do the swap, the motor mount has to be moved several inches. I don't think it's possible to have a bolt in motor mount in that situation.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:32 PM 03-18-2015

My dad is a highly skilled welder and I told him I wanted to do that and like you I've never welded, he said, "That is simple junkyard welding. Just practice on a piece before doing the welds. Since it doesn't have to pass an x-ray test or look pretty, it's pretty hard to **** it up."
Yea, but there are a lot of things to be considered before striking an arc.
You don’t want the engine sitting too high in the chassis, creates handling and hood clearance issues, too low and it’s hitting the oil pan on everything, have to consider clearance front and back (firewall and radiator), the engine will probably have to be offset about an inch to the passenger side to clear the steering shaft and it has to be tilted back at about 6-8 degrees for consistent oil flow.
If a pair of bolt in adaptor mounts from a place like Advanced Adapters is available that’s the route to take because positioning and angles have already been worked out for you.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:33 PM 03-18-2015
To do the swap, the motor mount has to be moved several inches. I don't think it's possible to have a bolt in motor mount in that situation.
Stacey David on Gearz did this very thing, LS into a Miata.
If anyone is truly interested back episodes are on YouTube.
[Reply]
KC native 03:44 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Yea, but there are a lot of things to be considered before striking an arc.
You don’t want the engine sitting too high in the chassis, creates handling and hood clearance issues, too low and it’s hitting the oil pan on everything, have to consider clearance front and back (firewall and radiator), the engine will probably have to be offset about an inch to the passenger side to clear the steering shaft and it has to be tilted back at about 6-8 degrees for consistent oil flow.
If a pair of bolt in adaptor mounts from a place like Advanced Adapters is available that’s the route to take because positioning and angles have already been worked out for you.
There are a couple outfits that make the motor mounts and tell you where they have to be installed (there's a Ford version and LS version).
[Reply]
MIAdragon 04:37 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Silock:
I thought about that, but I've never welded before. Welding in new motor mounts sounds like not something I want to do as a first-timer.
There are bolt in kits but you're looking at atleast 10k in swap parts.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 04:39 PM 03-18-2015
So do you think they make adapters to mount a LS into my sweet Ford Fiesta
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:51 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
There are bolt in kits but you're looking at atleast 10k in swap parts.
This.

LSx swaps into Miatas and Rx-7's/8's are pretty popular. There's probably conversion kits out there for them.

We just sold a specialty part to a race team that swapped an LS into a Hyundai Genesis.
[Reply]
Marcellus 04:54 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I loved my Mustang. Coolest car I ever owned. At least for another 8 weeks. Pic is after 144K miles and 10 years.
Is that thing 4-wheel drive or something? Get some drop on it for God's sake. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:14 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Is that thing 4-wheel drive or something? Get some drop on it for God's sake. :-)
Okay, car n00b here I don't know what this means. What is getting a drop?
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 05:23 PM 03-18-2015
Lowering it. :-)
[Reply]
Hamwallet 06:15 PM 03-18-2015
http://youtu.be/0ZPbeEUWZ6s
[Reply]
Radar Chief 06:17 PM 03-18-2015
:-)
[Reply]
Page 9 of 360
« First < 56789 101112131959109 > Last »
Up