ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Lewdog in the market for a new ride.....
lewdog 09:53 PM 02-19-2015
Not really but lewdog has been presented with a pretty good deal and would like to hear from car enthusiasts. Note, I don't know much about cars but I would like to own a somewhat nice one someday. My current ride is a 2001 Toyota Celica with 98k miles. Boy howdy!

My Father-in-law bought a 2005 Mustang GT Premium new on custom order and has kept the car this whole time garaged/covered. He only drove it during the short summers in Montana. It only has 14,500 miles on it! He's done quite a few modifications, which I have scanned below. Not sure what it all means but it's around 10k of modifications.

He's wanting to sell it as it's never gotten much use and is offering it to me for 13k. When comparing this to other Mustang GTs of that year, it's lower in price and has lower miles.

Photos below.

Thoughts on what lewdog should do?

[Reply]
lewdog 03:40 PM 02-28-2015
Originally Posted by Chief Pote:
Good job lewdog, are you trying to take the fun out of a cool car? At least you know you're a nerd.
Anything to do with money will be analyzed and over-analyzed. It's my nature. For the good and for the bad. But I am getting excited and no longer worried about having this car!

Originally Posted by eDave:
Lew's a smart mofo.
That's not really true with most common sense things and me. However, I do consider myself somewhat financially smart and with life planning types of things. If it's common sense something, I just let the wife decide. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 05:33 PM 03-01-2015
Time for lewdog's retarded questions about this car.

Here goes number 1.

My FIL recommended that we put wheel locks on the rims once we get the car. He never drove it enough to need them and didn't live in a high crime area. Down here, you hear of rims being stolen from cars all the time.

So my question is if I purchase wheel locks like Gorilla Guard locks, aren't all the tire keys the same? Meaning if you put these on your car, won't the crooks have the same key if they purchased the same product?

Where do you keep this lock? If you keep it in your car and someone breaks in, they have access to your wheels. If you don't keep it in your car and you have tire trouble on the highway, you'll be SOL.

Also if I go with something like below, can just any tire shop throw these on there for me? I'd take any recommendations from those that have them.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo...ds=wheel+locks
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:49 PM 03-01-2015
Those would probably.

I can usually get any lock off, one way or another. But fuck doing it on the side of the road. They are a deterrent. Anyone could install them

Most spline drive are the same, the type you showed has more than one key pattern.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 06:08 PM 03-01-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Time for lewdog's retarded questions about this car.

Here goes number 1.

My FIL recommended that we put wheel locks on the rims once we get the car. He never drove it enough to need them and didn't live in a high crime area. Down here, you hear of rims being stolen from cars all the time.

So my question is if I purchase wheel locks like Gorilla Guard locks, aren't all the tire keys the same? Meaning if you put these on your car, won't the crooks have the same key if they purchased the same product?

Where do you keep this lock? If you keep it in your car and someone breaks in, they have access to your wheels. If you don't keep it in your car and you have tire trouble on the highway, you'll be SOL.

Also if I go with something like below, can just any tire shop throw these on there for me? I'd take any recommendations from those that have them.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo...ds=wheel+locks

IMO locks do very little other than annoying YOU when you need to get them on and off. Id skip them. I dont run them on any car I have and I have a 6K set of rims on the car I DD. If someone wants them they will be gone. And if I can be honest I think someone would be doing you a fav taking them, far and away the most unpleasant part of your new car, again IMO.
[Reply]
lewdog 06:22 PM 03-01-2015
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
IMO locks do very little other than annoying YOU when you need to get them on and off. Id skip them. I dont run them on any car I have and I have a 6K set of rims on the car I DD. If someone wants them they will be gone. And if I can be honest I think someone would be doing you a fav taking them, far and away the most unpleasant part of your new car, again IMO.
Huh, I did not expect that response.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 06:33 PM 03-01-2015
Huh, I did not expect that response.
The "they are not worth much" or the "I'm not really into your wheels" part?
If its the latter you can tell me to shove it up my ass because its YOUR ride.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:35 PM 03-01-2015
:-), I don't run them either
[Reply]
DeezNutz 06:37 PM 03-01-2015
lew is worried about putting things on lock down, and MIA suggests putting a "free to good home" sign on them.

Vintage CP. :-).

FTR, congrats on the new car, dude. Looks good.
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:27 PM 03-01-2015
I like the wheels on your car lew, if I had something that they would fit on I'd steal them in a heartbeat.
[Reply]
Mr. Flopnuts 07:31 PM 03-01-2015
Well I've got another thing to ponder. More than a few people keep telling me not to drive this car as a daily driver. Can't say I wouldn't agree if money wasn't a concern. The upkeep and insurance of 3 cars doesn't sound super appealing. And we only have a 2 car garage, not that the Celica couldn't sit outside I suppose. But my Uncle, who's been an engineer for multiple car companies in Detroit for over 40 years said the same thing and called it a shame if this car is used for a daily driver. I say it's a car and should be driven but that doesn't seem to be the consensus.
Keep the Celica for 6 months and decide for yourself. I've had my 08 as a daily driver for 2 years and put 65k miles on it. Drive it all over, have never had a problem.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:15 PM 03-01-2015
The "they are not worth much" or the "I'm not really into your wheels" part?
If its the latter you can tell me to shove it up my ass because its YOUR ride.
:-)

I didn't even read it correctly so I didn't get that part until you posted this. Can't say I love those wheels either but I suppose they'll do.

I meant that in reference to them not being worth much....the wheel locks that is! I am in the car theft capital of the world but many wanna be thiefs just steel wheels here. Most run locks of some sort on their wheels and many run multiple sets. These Mexicans are fast when they want something! (that's a joke CP).
[Reply]
stevieray 09:44 PM 03-01-2015
As to not clog up Guru's thread. Took a snap of the old Celica today walking back from baseball workouts.

She's not a fast car but she was bought 10 years ago for something semi-sporty, good handling, good mileage and would last me a long time since I was 19 years old. Never thought I would have kept this car this long but she still looks pretty good.

nice job maintiaining that car..someone is gonna get a nice ride....prolly part of the reason you're getting such a nice ride...comes around.

:-)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 09:30 AM 03-02-2015
Switch your Celica to liability only or just DD that Mustang and tell your uncle to suck it.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:10 PM 03-02-2015
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Switch your Celica to liability only or just DD that Mustang and tell your uncle to suck it.
Celica is getting sold and I'll tell my uncle that the 'Stang is gonna get daily driven into the ground!

He worked in Detroit in the automotive industry as an engineer for 40+ years. He can tell you about any car ever made. I noticed this back in October when I went to the Henry Ford Museum.

He has a 1974 Corvette Stingray, the year in which he designed the working mechanisms behind the dashboard, that he puts about 1k miles on per year. It's had tons of work to maintain it, even as little as he drives it. Not to mention it rides like a rough hog on most roads, not to mention the shitty roads in Detroit. You couldn't realistically daily drive that thing. I think he is having trouble equating a mid 2000's muscle car to his mid 1970's Corvette. Besides him, everyone else says drive it. It's a car and will be fun for me. :-)

I've also been reading about that 2005 GT model on the internet and there are plenty of higher mileage ones still going strong and most people say the car has been very reliable. Engines nowadays are really built to last.
[Reply]
Bugeater 04:38 PM 03-02-2015
1974 is about the worst possible year of corvette to own. 1st year of the plastic bumper POSes
[Reply]
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up