ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Lewdog in the market for a new ride.....
lewdog 09:53 PM 02-19-2015
Not really but lewdog has been presented with a pretty good deal and would like to hear from car enthusiasts. Note, I don't know much about cars but I would like to own a somewhat nice one someday. My current ride is a 2001 Toyota Celica with 98k miles. Boy howdy!

My Father-in-law bought a 2005 Mustang GT Premium new on custom order and has kept the car this whole time garaged/covered. He only drove it during the short summers in Montana. It only has 14,500 miles on it! He's done quite a few modifications, which I have scanned below. Not sure what it all means but it's around 10k of modifications.

He's wanting to sell it as it's never gotten much use and is offering it to me for 13k. When comparing this to other Mustang GTs of that year, it's lower in price and has lower miles.

Photos below.

Thoughts on what lewdog should do?

[Reply]
MIAdragon 10:17 AM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Well I've got another thing to ponder. More than a few people keep telling me not to drive this car as a daily driver. Can't say I wouldn't agree if money wasn't a concern. The upkeep and insurance of 3 cars doesn't sound super appealing. And we only have a 2 car garage, not that the Celica couldn't sit outside I suppose. But my Uncle, who's been an engineer for multiple car companies in Detroit for over 40 years said the same thing and called it a shame if this car is used for a daily driver. I say it's a car and should be driven but that doesn't seem to be the consensus.
Those people are foolish. I DD'd my 05 GT for 2 years with out issue. There is no more up keep with this than any other car. As for the ones in the cars too nice category tell them to stfu this is just another gt. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:44 PM 02-23-2015
Good lord, it's not a '63 split window Stingray, drive the fucking thing.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 01:40 PM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by Baconeater:
Good lord, it's not a '63 split window Stingray, drive the ****ing thing.
Even then, I'd drive that shit everyday too.
[Reply]
KC native 02:04 PM 02-23-2015
Well I've got another thing to ponder. More than a few people keep telling me not to drive this car as a daily driver. Can't say I wouldn't agree if money wasn't a concern. The upkeep and insurance of 3 cars doesn't sound super appealing. And we only have a 2 car garage, not that the Celica couldn't sit outside I suppose. But my Uncle, who's been an engineer for multiple car companies in Detroit for over 40 years said the same thing and called it a shame if this car is used for a daily driver. I say it's a car and should be driven but that doesn't seem to be the consensus.
Those people are fucking morons. Buy it and daily drive the shit out of it.
[Reply]
KC native 02:05 PM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by MIAdragon:
The bars are a going away, the new thing is a "clay" towel that does a much better job and lasts forever.
:-) nice, I haven't seen those yet.
[Reply]
stevieray 02:07 PM 02-23-2015
Even then, I'd drive that shit everyday too.
...and take the long way home.
[Reply]
SAUTO 03:33 PM 02-23-2015
fuck that, cars are made to be driven
[Reply]
lewdog 05:58 PM 02-23-2015
Well I am glad CP could come through again. I have to remind me wife while this is a nice car, it's not a collector's car and never will be. It doesn't work like that. It's modifications make is more performanced based that most GTs from this year but that's simply it. Her dad is selling it because it doesn't get enough use. I plan on using it.

I hate to admit this but I am kind of a nerd in real life, so I did some math.

My commute is 14 miles one-way. 28 miles per day. This comes to 140 miles per work week. This comes to 7280 miles per year.

It's 4 miles one-way to the gym. If I lift 4x per week, that's 32 miles per week. This comes to 1664 miles to the gym each year.

Total is 8944 miles between work and the gym for the Mustang. Factor in some cruising or a few road trips and we'll probably put on about 12k per year. We can use the wife's civic for everything else and load the miles on it since she'll need a new car next.

/nerd alert
[Reply]
stevieray 06:02 PM 02-23-2015
Well I am glad CP could come through again. I have to remind me wife while this is a nice car, it's not a collector's car and never will be. It doesn't work like that. It's modifications make is more performanced based that most GTs from this year but that's simply it. Her dad is selling it because it doesn't get enough use. I plan on using it.

My commute is 14 miles one-way. 28 miles per day. This comes to 140 miles per work week. This comes to 7280 miles per year.

It's 4 miles one-way to the gym. If I lift 4x per week, that's 32 miles per week. This comes to 1664 miles to the gym each year.

Total is 8944 miles between work and the gym for the Mustang. Factor in some cruising or a few road trips and we'll probably put on about 12k per year. We can use the wife's civic for everything else and load the miles on it since she'll need a new car next.

/nerd alert
12k is average...do it!
[Reply]
Miles 07:55 PM 02-23-2015
Completely agree with the sentiment to daily drive it without hesitation.
[Reply]
MIAdragon 08:22 PM 02-23-2015
Originally Posted by Miles:
Completely agree with the sentiment to daily drive it without hesitation.
And beat the snot out of it from every red light and on/off ramp ( and all places between ).

On the same vein, I bought a very low mile E30 M3 from an old lady. I Mean pristine, but as soon as it saw some "hard" miles it started to leak everywhere, miss and was breaking all over the place. Drive them how they are supposed to be driven. And smile every time you're pumping gas, because you know what next.
[Reply]
Miles 09:08 PM 02-23-2015
And beat the snot out of it from every red light and on/off ramp ( and all places between ).

On the same vein, I bought a very low mile E30 M3 from an old lady. I Mean pristine, but as soon as it saw some "hard" miles it started to leak everywhere, miss and was breaking all over the place. Drive them how they are supposed to be driven. And smile every time you're pumping gas, because you know what next.
Probably would baby something like that a tad with how quickly those are appreciating these days.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:57 PM 02-28-2015
As to not clog up Guru's thread. Took a snap of the old Celica today walking back from baseball workouts.

She's not a fast car but she was bought 10 years ago for something semi-sporty, good handling, good mileage and would last me a long time since I was 19 years old. Never thought I would have kept this car this long but she still looks pretty good.

[Reply]
Chief Pote 03:12 PM 02-28-2015

Total is 8944 miles between work and the gym for the Mustang. Factor in some cibng or a few road trips and we'll probably put on about 12k per year. We can use the wife's civic for everything else and load the miles on it since she'll need a new car next.

/nerd alert
Good job lewdog, are you trying to take the fun out of a cool car? At least you know you're a nerd.
[Reply]
eDave 03:22 PM 02-28-2015
Originally Posted by Chief Pote:
Good job lewdog, are you trying to take the fun out of a cool car? At least you know you're a nerd.
Lew's a smart mofo.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 13
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up