ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Media Center>So...I finally watched Waterworld this weekend
keg in kc 03:51 PM 03-07-2012
As far as I recall I'd never seen it. And to be honest I'm not sure why I watched it now. Morbid curiosity maybe. It just happened to be on HBO late and night, and it's been panned so badly I thought it was going to be the worst movie of all time. And I gotta admit that after watching it I'm kind of wondering what all the bad buzz was about. I've seen way, way, way worse movies. I can't remember much from 1995, but I'm wondering if it was one of those dogpile instances, where dumping on it was just the hip thing to do. I'm not saying it's a great flick or anything like that, but it was entertaining enough to keep me watching the whole time. I was expecting much worse than I got. Something historically bad rather than marginal.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:40 AM 07-30-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
My main problem with it was that it was nothing more than a water-logged rip-off of Road Warrior (which is basically the same reason I hate Avatar). Saw it once. There won't ever be a twice. That goes for Avatar as well.

The Costner movie that I think got unfairly blasted was The Postman. That one I actually liked.
You read the book The Postman was loosely based on? Much, much better than the movie.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:41 AM 07-30-2021
As I've said many times, the first half hour of avatar was breathtaking. Then the ripped off shitty plot kicked in.
Avatar is just Dances with Wolves in Space.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:03 AM 07-30-2021
I always thought the premise was pretty cool, even though I typically prefer my post-apocalyptic features in the zombie vein. A couple of my favorite parts of the movie were when he was "fishing" for that big ass creature and when he took homegirl down to the ocean floor to see the sunken city.

I'd be interested in seeing more of that world.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:10 AM 07-30-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
You read the book The Postman was loosely based on? Much, much better than the movie.
I haven’t seen that movie in forever. But I remember it as another one that wasn’t as bad as it’s reputation? It was long though….
[Reply]
Frazod 07:27 AM 07-30-2021
Dances with Wolves + Pocahontas + a sprinkling of Aliens. All the beauty and promise, and in the end it was just another glorious natives vs. evil rich white men movie, made, of course, by an evil rich white man. Gotta love the irony there.

It was so corny, so utterly predictable. Half an hour into it I knew exactly how it was going to end, who was going to live, and who was going to die. No twists, no surprises, absolutely nothing original. They spent $100 million on CGI and $19.95 on the fucking screenplay. How do you do that? It's damned near criminal.

Never read it. Didn't even know it was based on a book.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:31 AM 07-30-2021

If you are into post apocalyptic stuff, it is well worth the read.

David Brin is the author.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:15 AM 07-30-2021
I think my favorite Costner flicks are probably A Perfect World and Mr. Brooks. Haven't seen either one of them for years though.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:58 AM 07-30-2021
I watched it a number of times as a kid since my dad was a Costner fan.

As a kid i enjoyed it for the most part even though i feel like i saw it too many times. Ironically i can barely remember it. Haven't seen it in decades.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:50 PM 07-30-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I always thought the premise was pretty cool, even though I typically prefer my post-apocalyptic features in the zombie vein. A couple of my favorite parts of the movie were when he was "fishing" for that big ass creature and when he took homegirl down to the ocean floor to see the sunken city.

I'd be interested in seeing more of that world.
One of the best worst movies out there. I love Kevin Costner movies, I can't help it.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:24 PM 07-30-2021
Favorite Costner movies are Field of Dreams and Bull Durham. He's been in a lot of movies that I enjoyed, but nothing beats that one-two combo.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:24 PM 07-30-2021
Favorite Costner movies are Field of Dreams and Bull Durham. He's been in a lot of movies that I enjoyed, but nothing beats that one-two combo.
Peak Costner was great.

The two you mentioned, Silverado, untouchables, No way out, Dances with Wolves, The Bodyguard, JFK, Tin Cup, For Love of the Game. Those are all faves of mine.

I never really liked Robin Hood.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:38 PM 07-30-2021
Avatar, especially at Imax, really pushed special effects for when it came out.

The 3D of that quality and the 'avatar' aspect that everyone takes for granted now, was really something new back then (and semi naked blue women didn't hurt).

But no reason to see it in this day and age.
[Reply]
hometeam 06:50 PM 07-30-2021
I know the movie wasnt a huge commerical success, but as cheesy action movies goes its still a classic.

Lets see if the show is taken seriously or not
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:54 PM 07-30-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Peak Costner was great.

The two you mentioned, Silverado, untouchables, No way out, Dances with Wolves, The Bodyguard, JFK, Tin Cup, For Love of the Game. Those are all faves of mine.

I never really liked Robin Hood.
Yellowstone is good Costner.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 05:34 PM 01-20-2022
Dances with Wolves + Pocahontas + a sprinkling of Aliens. All the beauty and promise, and in the end it was just another glorious natives vs. evil rich white men movie, made, of course, by an evil rich white man. Gotta love the irony there.

It was so corny, so utterly predictable. Half an hour into it I knew exactly how it was going to end, who was going to live, and who was going to die. No twists, no surprises, absolutely nothing original. They spent $100 million on CGI and $19.95 on the ****ing screenplay. How do you do that? It's damned near criminal.

Some folks are going to say you are triggered.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Up