ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Woodstock ‘99 Documentary
BigRedChief 12:50 AM 07-24-2021
Have you seen this on HBO and HBO Max? It’s very well done but it’s such a slice of the cultural back then. I never knew the extent of how bad things got during that weekend for the 300K in attendance.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:58 AM 08-08-2022
Originally Posted by PurpleJesus28:
I would watch this doc. if i had HBO,i'm sure its interesting.I remember the 99 Woodstock being notorious mostly because of the coverage on MTV and maybe VH1 had some specials about it.And mostly Limp Bizkit basically inciting a riot and getting blamed for the chaos.
I just watched the three part series on Netflix.

Weird, I had no idea this even happened just like the first one in 69 when I was in Guam.

Hard to believe they let the guitar player from "Red Hot Chili Peppers" play naked with his junk flopping around.
[Reply]
HemiEd 09:02 AM 08-08-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Yes, that’s what the promoter/film says. Nothing in there about a tribute to Hendrix.
Actually the one I just watched on Netflix had two different references to it. I think it might have been Rage that tried to duplicate Hendrix's Fire.

Then Hendrix was actually on the big screen when the crowd was expecting a surprise live performance and started burning shit up the last night.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:10 AM 08-08-2022
I wasn't super present in MTV culture in '99 so I'd never really heard much about Woodstock'99 until I watched this. Holy rape festival batman.

Imagine a fest like that happening now.

Really terrible look for that promoter and anyone who helped organize the event or swept the inhumane and sexual assault breeding ground conditions under the rug.
[Reply]
Pogue 03:53 PM 08-08-2022
Fyre fest, Woodstock 99, Astroworld etc.

It’s amazing how people still go to these things and get ripped off, even killed in some cases. The Netflix doc on Woodstock ‘99 showed the promoters of the festival didn’t give a rats rear end about the people. Security cost too much so they hired “peace patrol” Even the one guy Scher, was like “we had 200k people, you know some rapes but 200k people, you can’t control them. We had no way of knowing rapes were happening, they were doing it in tents.” As if that was ok.

The arrogance, but they are gazillionares that make a living ****ing everyone over.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:48 PM 08-08-2022
I watched it recently. I was a freshman in high school in 99 so I didn’t really know a damn thing about it.

But holy fuck.

Then they did it again with the Fyre Festival. Promotion outruns planning. Seems to be the prevailing approach.

Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I wasn't super present in MTV culture in '99 so I'd never really heard much about Woodstock'99 until I watched this. Holy rape festival batman.

Imagine a fest like that happening now.

Really terrible look for that promoter and anyone who helped organize the event or swept the inhumane and sexual assault breeding ground conditions under the rug.
Yeah. That’s cringey as all hell.

FWIW there is another recent documentary on HBO Max
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 07:46 PM 08-08-2022
Originally Posted by Pogue:

It’s amazing how people still go to these things and get ripped off, even killed in some cases. The Netflix doc on Woodstock ‘99 showed the promoters of the festival didn’t give a rats rear end about the people. Security cost too much so they hired “peace patrol” Even the one guy Scher, was like “we had 200k people, you know some rapes but 200k people, you can’t control them. We had no way of knowing rapes were happening, they were doing it in tents.” As if that was ok.

The arrogance, but they are gazillionares that make a living ****ing everyone over.
The Netflix series talked more about the after concert raves and that random truck or van that drove into the crowd,while apparently a girl had been assaulted in it.

Also IIRC,someone said sometimes rapes/assaults happened at the front of the stage during the concert.Wtf though how could noboody possibly see that and stop it ?Crazy stuff,but yeah the promoters were some shady ass dudes.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:40 AM 08-09-2022

You knew it was going to fail as soon as they mentioned that Woodstock '94 didn't turn a profit....so this one had too.
[Reply]
ScareCrowe 10:08 AM 08-09-2022

He basically seemed to be saying "any time you get 200,000 people together a few people are going to get raped, nothing you can do about it"
[Reply]
sedated 04:07 PM 08-09-2022
I'll have to check this out, totally forgot about this. I graduated high school in '99 so was right in that demographic and remember the news coverage of the entire thing becoming a mob scene and burned to the ground.

Then it turns out my roommate freshman year of college had gone to it, and had some good stories about the whole event including having to scramble to get out of there without getting hurt when things went bad.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:24 PM 08-09-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This was a for profit event. You chose to go knowing its going to be expensive to attend. Expecting free water for 300K fans was and is never going to happen.
Wut? Last few huge festivals I've been to made sure water was plenty accessible. They had refill stations. It's a recipe for disaster not to. Granted these guys back then may have created the awareness that water is necessary. Why would any festival want to be liable for getting people sick, not to mention that dehydration just makes people drunker, to make a few bucks.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:07 PM 08-09-2022
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Wut? Last few huge festivals I've been to made sure water was plenty accessible. They had refill stations. It's a recipe for disaster not to. Granted these guys back then may have created the awareness that water is necessary. Why would any festival want to be liable for getting people sick, not to mention that dehydration just makes people drunker, to make a few bucks.
Watch the documentary.

It's all there.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:31 PM 08-09-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Watch the documentary.

It's all there.
Oh yeah, I know Woodstock '99 was a disaster. I'm just more surprised brc thinks an all weekend music festival in today's day would make water hard to get. All the ones I remember have water stations.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:37 PM 08-09-2022
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Oh yeah, I know Woodstock '99 was a disaster. I'm just more surprised brc thinks an all weekend music festival in today's day would make water hard to get. All the ones I remember have water stations.
Oh yeah, at this point, lawyers would have sued for damages and held the promotors liable if shit like that had continued.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up