ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>So how much is it gonna cost to extend Chris Jones now?
CoMoChief 10:52 PM 01-29-2023
Wheeew boy....gonna cost a pretty penny. :-)

Doooooo it Veach.
[Reply]
crispystl 04:30 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
He wants to play here. He grew up dirt poor. Pay that man fair market value and he will accept it. Don't lowball him, because he is too good of a player, and one of the best Chiefs players ever, to disrespect like that.

Dominant defensive tackles are rare. We have one so we should keep him.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

He’s an awesome guy too. Not that it matters m, but I just wanted to mention it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
alpha_omega 04:33 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
/Things I'll worry about after we win the Super Bowl
This.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 04:48 PM 01-30-2023
I know it’s wishful thinking. But with the cincy rivalry awakening something new in mahomes I wonder if this is the deal where he takes one to make sure Chris jones stays in kc.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:15 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Razaele:
Guys' bodies breaking down isn't really anyone's fault.

Jones is the type of player, like an elite QB or LT, that should never hit free agency.
The question was why are fans gunshy about extending big deals to stars. Berry and Houston are exactly why.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 05:23 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
See: Berry and Houston deals.
:-) how super bowls Jones been to? Without him we don't beat the 49ers and definitely don't win last night
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:03 PM 01-30-2023

[Reply]
Eleazar 07:06 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
The question was why are fans gunshy about extending big deals to stars. Berry and Houston are exactly why.
Well, that is dumb. Houston’s balky knees and Eric Berry’s spirits have nothing to do with Chris Jones, who is an elite player at a premium position and in his prime.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:13 PM 01-30-2023

[Reply]
BWillie 07:18 PM 01-30-2023
If it comes down to Jones, OBJ, or Sneed. You pay Jones. Easy decision. OBJ has been playing well lately too and Sneed is damn good but Barnes Bleach can find good CBs anywhere.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:21 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
He's 28 years old. He's not some old geezer

A loooooot of tread left on those tires *knock on wood*

Would rather have the player than the draft picks.
BB would trade him right now . This is the Most he would ever be worth.

If we could get two 1's and a 3 or 4 I'd have to consider.

I hope we get a team friendly deal done and he stays but if we do the Tyreek type trade I can understand. Veach can draft!
[Reply]
BWillie 07:26 PM 01-30-2023
Also...I know they dont play the same position but Justin Houston is 34 and has been very productive ever since leaving the Chiefs and he was even older when he left us. I dont see why Jones cant have the same trajectory as he ages.
[Reply]
Bl00dyBizkitz 08:02 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:

I hope we get a team friendly deal done and he stays but if we do the Tyreek type trade I can understand. Veach can draft!
Id take that deal too.

At the end of the day its all up to Veach and I trust whatever decision he makes. He's the GOAT GM right now. The emotional part of me believes he's just too valuable to trade. Literal potential HOFer.
[Reply]
raybec 4 08:07 PM 01-30-2023

The Tyreek and Jones situations are vastly different. We don't have a Mahomes on defense to make up for the deficiencies left by the removal of Jones. Those draft picks would be great but not at the expense of losing the guy who would literally be the best player on just about every defense in the league.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:48 PM 01-30-2023

This is kind of where I was at but I've fallen back to the surround him with more talent camp.

Trading a DT doesn't generally net as much as trading an edge rusher does. The best ones traded, Seymour and Buckner, each only yielded a 1st round pick and nothing more.

The 49ers didn't have to struggle with replacing Buckner all that much because they still had Armstead and just drafted Bosa the year before.

The Pats struggled for several years defensively after trading Seymour.

At the time BossChief posted his poll in the Lounge, this was already being discussed in the draft forum more critically. At that time, 3/81 was where I thought I'd draw the line and then try to trade.

I don't think that's probably the right way to go about it but there probably should be a point where it becomes somewhat detrimental to a team to spend too much. And certainly, I still believe there is strength in more quality over singular greatness but the Chiefs do still have the ability to add quality next to Jones without breaking the cap.

Any Jones extension at this point probably starts at no less than 29 per and only goes up from there. This will be his last major payday. If I'm going for it, I'd try to get a 4-year extension that brings him through his age 33 season more to spread bonus money out than anything. I do think the deal would reach a top-out of 32 per.

Jones is absolutely a unicorn player but I do agree with you that if a team offered two 1's and a 3, I'd have to pause and consider it. That's the type of deal that can absolutely alter a roster for the future. You're never replacing Chris in that situation but you can still be good if you sign the right FA and you're adding 3 first-round picks to a team that's already really good. Tough to pass up.
[Reply]
CupidStunt 07:26 AM 01-31-2023
Overall I trend against paying players. Most players at most positions. But Jones is a slam-dunk Chief for life. Not only is he super elite on the field, he's A++++ off it, and we can easily trust he'll still be giving 110% in 3, 4, 5 years down the line.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up