ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Is Linux Mint more senior friendly than windows??
booger 08:44 PM 01-28-2023
So my mom is getting older and having troubles like we all do as we age. Windows she is getting really tired of. Acer is the brand i think. I need help senior citizen proofing that sumbitch. All sorts of crap she is falling for with purchase this software etc. I have installed the pay version of malwarebytes on her laptop and told her that's all she needs. I have a VPN for her as well. But she's just getting tired of the same old shit with windows and doesn't troubleshoot like she used to. I told her anything new she will have to learn with articles online and youtube vids etc. Maybe even a book or two which she was ok with all that. Linux seems to be known as very user friendly. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in their more simple type platforms not just mint.

I'm needing a laptop and thinking myself of getting one off ebay with linux or unbuntu pre installed. Seller on Ebay has refurbished Dell lattitude 7490 business laptops that he puts 3-4-5 year warranties on. That's all he sells is Dell 7490s For me personally I wonder what I can't do on a Linux os that I can on windows. I have an Iphone so im familiar with Safari browser just not much else on macs. I like the idea of open source based linux systems.

I am playing around with it on an old Lenovo laptop that's falling apart and I installed virtual box on.

Any advice on the Linux OS experiences or like I said for me purchasing a refurb laptop with linux pre installed if you have any suggestions besides ebay or a particular brand and model let me know

Thanks in Advance
[Reply]
Molitoth 07:34 AM 01-29-2023
Another option is keeping windows and loading Secure Desktop.

https://www.visualautomation.com/securedesktop/

Here you publish what apps you want her to have access to on the local machine.

This option is about as dummy proof as you can get.

EDIT: I just noticed the price for a single home license ($250)... yikes.
I use corporate licenses when I need to use it.
[Reply]
asdf 08:07 AM 01-29-2023
What about a Chromebook? Inexpensive, fairly grandma proof, and more immune to malware than any pc os including mac. Quick and easy to fully reset if needed. But there are obviously some limitations. Anyway, just a thought.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 08:56 AM 01-29-2023
Originally Posted by asdf:
What about a Chromebook? Inexpensive, fairly grandma proof, and more immune to malware than any pc os including mac. Quick and easy to fully reset if needed. But there are obviously some limitations. Anyway, just a thought.
Seconded. If she is just using for web surfing, email, maybe docs (Google) then Chromebook is a nice, secure, easy, inexpensive option. A basic Lenovo brand is $500, new.
[Reply]
scho63 06:08 AM 01-30-2023
I could possibly teach your Mom pending you posting photos.
[Reply]
booger 11:52 AM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
I could possibly teach your Mom pending you posting photos.
:-)

she would hurt you scho you old wrinkled nutsack
[Reply]
stanleychief 12:53 PM 01-30-2023
I'd suggest switching to Mac OSX as well. My 86 year old father was calling me every other week with new viruses or spyware when he was running Windows. Moving him over to an older Mac Mini fixed all of that. The only time I get calls now is when Yahoo switches the theme/layout of their webmail portal.

Linux could be a good option as well, but if they ever need to contact outside tech support for anything (like their broadband provider) then they will be screwed. If you are handling all tech support contact for them, then this shouldn't be an issue. The other thing to maybe consider is if they will ever use Microsoft Office. There are Mac versions available for that, whereas for Linux there are not. Sure, Linux has MS Office alternatives, but you're going to be fighting a learning curve there.

I switched to Firefox and haven't looked back. uBlock Origin is also amazing, as Fish suggested. Some form of remote desktop software is also great, but I have rarely needed to use it once I switched my father over to Mac. The hardware and software have been extremely reliable. My father is using a Mac Mini from 2008, which he leaves running 24/7.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:00 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
I'd suggest switching to Mac OSX as well. My 86 year old father was calling me every other week with new viruses or spyware when he was running Windows. Moving him over to an older Mac Mini fixed all of that. The only time I get calls now is when Yahoo switches the theme/layout of their webmail portal.

Linux could be a good option as well, but if they ever need to contact outside tech support for anything (like their broadband provider) then they will be screwed. If you are handling all tech support contact for them, then this shouldn't be an issue. The other thing to maybe consider is if they will ever use Microsoft Office. There are Mac versions available for that, whereas for Linux there are not. Sure, Linux has MS Office alternatives, but you're going to be fighting a learning curve there.

I switched to Firefox and haven't looked back. uBlock Origin is also amazing, as Fish suggested. Some form of remote desktop software is also great, but I have rarely needed to use it once I switched my father over to Mac. The hardware and software have been extremely reliable. My father is using a Mac Mini from 2008, which he leaves running 24/7.
I know people love to hate on Apple but I've been an Apple user for over 30 years and I've really NEVER had a huge problem. I've gone through dozens of OS upgrades, software updates, etc. and never had an issue. It's the exact opposite of Windows, in my experience.

Since I started slowly rolling the rest of my house to MacOS/iOS, the time I've spent on other people's computing problems is dying to almost nothing.
[Reply]
Otter 03:09 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by booger:
Web email just like you said. No gaming or heavy duty space eating software. Just want a more user friendly and less invasive os instead of windows
The solution has "Chromebook" written all over.

On a side note - in a drunk Chiefs win celebration I managed to collapse my home desk and my monitor has an unredeemable 12" scratch going across the dead center.

I'll PM you a referral discount if offered. No people or animals were hurt in this demonstration of Neanderthal alcohol induced celebration. As a matter of fact I think some inappropriate hugs & kisses were endured.

Go Chiefs!!!
[Reply]
penguinz 05:01 PM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by booger:
Web email just like you said. No gaming or heavy duty space eating software. Just want a more user friendly and less invasive os instead of windows
Then get a chromebook or a nice iPad or Android tablet.
[Reply]
SLAG 09:49 AM 02-13-2023
Originally Posted by Otter:
The solution has "Chromebook" written all over.

On a side note - in a drunk Chiefs win celebration I managed to collapse my home desk and my monitor has an unredeemable 12" scratch going across the dead center.

I'll PM you a referral discount if offered. No people or animals were hurt in this demonstration of Neanderthal alcohol induced celebration. As a matter of fact I think some inappropriate hugs & kisses were endured.

Go Chiefs!!!
This is the way
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up