ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Referee Ron Torbert's crew assigned to work Chiefs-Bengals game
Realbaddog 08:41 AM 01-27-2023
Oh great, almost as bad as Cheffers.

Ninth-year NFL referee Ron Torbert and his crew have been assigned as the officials for the AFC Championship Game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Cincinnati Bengals.

Torbert hasn’t officiated a Chiefs game this season, but fans will remember him from 2021, and not in a good way. He was an unscheduled white-hat substitution for John Hussey against the Bengals during their Week 17 regular-season loss. During that game, Torbert’s crew called 10 penalties for 83 yards against Kansas City. It was the second-most penalties the Chiefs had called against them in a single game that season.

If we’re only considering the 2022 NFL season as evidence, Torbert and his crew have been among the best in the league in terms of penalty volume. In 16 games officiated, their 172 penalties called are good for the fourth-fewest in the NFL. That said, once a penalty is called by Torbert’s crew, expect it to stand. Their 20 dismissed penalties are the second-fewest in the NFL this season. They’ve officiated fairly even on the home (89) and away (83) fronts so far this season.

As far as how this crew officiates, they’re definitely not a “let them play” crew and they almost always side with the offense. Torbert’s 17 defensive pass interference penalties tie for the second-most in the league this season. For comparison’s sake, they’ve only called four offensive pass interference penalties all year. The Chiefs lead the NFL in defensive pass interference penalties this season (14) while the Bengals are right around the league average (6). Basically, expect Ja’Marr Chase to continue to get away with pushing off and Chiefs defenders to be penalized for any contact downfield.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023...nnati-bengals/
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:32 AM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's not just that.

In the playoffs, they use "all star" crews.

Ron Torbert himself isn't responsible for calling penalties. His crew does. And his crew won't be at the game.
Some of what you are saying is true these are different "crews" but stop acting like Torbert, Clete, and Carl don't have flags and throw them. Disingenuous at best.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:33 AM 01-27-2023
q
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:33 AM 01-27-2023
ron torbert has never officiated a mahomes home game

if he calls 'em for the home team, we good
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:44 AM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Some of what you are saying is true these are different "crews" but stop acting like Torbert, Clete, and Carl don't have flags and throw them. Disingenuous at best.
Blakeman is the one who personally threw the flag when Chris Jones lightly brushed the helmet of Tommy Boy. Talk about changing the entire course of a game with one flag that never should have occurred.

I'll never, ever forget that one. There's zero excuse for it, except wanting to directly influence the result of the game.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:52 AM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by straycash:
This guy said a lot mumbo jumbo, then decided to have full blown mouth diarrhea in that last paragraph.. Listen bucko, if you're not good at your job you get fired, it's that simple, where's the accountability..
There's no accountability for NFL referees. Are you new to football?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:54 AM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Well then, it shouldn’t be a problem. If the Chiefs play like they’re capable, they should win easily.

What all this reads like is a preemptory excuse for anything other than a blowout Chiefs win.

Also, any type of penalty on the Bengals first 2 drives could have kept the game close. Holding could be called on every play.

If that’s the goal in all of this, then that’s what would have happened.
Exactly.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:57 AM 01-27-2023
I'll just leave this here.

If the refs are this bad or this biased and the NFL steers games for Vegas or spite or whatever...

Why are you still watching?

This thread is nothing but misery loves company and hand-wringing about a game we haven't even played yet like we've already lost.

What possible entertainment or joy could you get from it if you believe all these things?

I certainly hope you don't live the rest of your life so paranoid.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:01 PM 01-27-2023

If the refs are this bad or this biased and the NFL steers games for Vegas or spite or whatever...

This thread is nothing but misery loves company and hand-wringing about a game we haven't even played yet like we've already lost.

What possible entertainment or joy could you get from it if you believe all these things?

Insert obligatory, "PEOPLE STILL WATCH THE WWE, DON'T THEY?"

Truth is, they don't REALLY believe it. At least, they don't want to.

Same way they just magically forgot they predicted the Bills would win their divisional because Cheffers, Neutral sites and Damar Hamlin. Or any failed prediction, really. They just....magically forget.

I mean, WE KNOW they didn't forget.

THEY KNOW, they didn't forget.

We'll all just pretend everyone forgot. /wink
[Reply]
straycash 12:04 PM 01-27-2023
There's no accountability for NFL referees. Are you new to football?
It was a rhetorical question, I know damn well there isn't any, now one could wonder why that is.. Are you new to cognitive dissonance? :-)
[Reply]
straycash 12:22 PM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Insert obligatory, "PEOPLE STILL WATCH THE WWE, DON'T THEY?"

Truth is, they don't REALLY believe it. At least, they don't want to.

Same way they just magically forgot they predicted the Bills would win their divisional because Cheffers, Neutral sites and Damar Hamlin. Or any failed prediction, really. They just....magically forget.

I mean, WE KNOW they didn't forget.

THEY KNOW, they didn't forget.

We'll all just pretend everyone forgot. /wink
I think the Chiefies will win every game from here to eternity and all the multiverses combined, now that's a prediction.
[Reply]
notorious 12:25 PM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by straycash:
I think the Chiefies will win every game from here to eternity and all the multiverses combined, now that's a prediction.
Finally a little perspective.
[Reply]
Eleazar 12:35 PM 01-27-2023

For some reason, even after all this success, Chiefs fan still has impostor syndrome.
[Reply]
Molitoth 01:09 PM 01-27-2023
If The Chiefs can play a full game the way they have the potential to do, no refs or opposition should matter.

This team has fucked around on some side of the ball the majority of the season.

In other words, get your shit together special teams. =)
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:18 PM 01-27-2023
Seriously. Put aside your emotions. Think about it, logically.

What you are arguing makes no sense at all. You're basically just hedging your bets. If the Chiefs win, it's not rigged. If they lose, it is.

There's a huge gap in your logic.
So one of the things I do to entertain myself with games that I don't care about is think about the reffing.

Sure, bad reffing is probably mostly incompetence but, for instance, some QBs sure seemed more protected than others.

I never really cared one way or another about Cam Newton but he went a season in Carolina not being able to get a roughing the passer to save his life.

No way they allowed hits like that on Rodgers.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:27 PM 01-27-2023

This thread is nothing but misery loves company and hand-wringing about a game we haven't even played yet as we've already lost.

OMG stop being obtuse.
If any person thinks that there is no nudging of calls or that they are all being nudged is being too black and white. It is pretty easy to believe that there is choreographing that happens in many games. If you do not believe your eyes when you see those calls happen that is on you. Just like if you don't want to believe the numbers that are obvious and blatant that is also on you.
Ever notice that games are called differently not only by different crews but also differently in the playoffs and then again in the SB?
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up