ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Kipers Mock 1.0
Couch-Potato 08:51 PM 01-26-2023
Spoiler!

31. Kansas City Chiefs
Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

Kansas City redid its wide receiver corps last offseason, but it might have to do another overhaul in 2023. JuJu Smith-Schuster, who had a resurgent season, and Mecole Hardman are both free agents. Could they supplement what they have with this pick? I'm a huge fan of Flowers, who caught 200 passes in his college career. He's polished and shifty, shaking cornerbacks from all over the field to get open. I almost went with speedster Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee), who is a better deep threat, but Flowers is more ready to contribute early. Hyatt had 15 touchdowns and averaged 18.9 yards per catch for the Volunteers in 2022.

^Kiper also notably has DL Byran Breese available at our pick. Breese is my stretch target this year for a trade up, he'd be awesome next to Chris Jones! I also really love WR Jalin Hyatt, VERY interesting!
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:31 AM 01-27-2023
So my first (uninformed) thought is, not another 5'10" receiver. Having said that, can this guy actually play on the outside? Don't think we need yet another slot receiver. I saw some comparison in Twitter to Antonio Brown, of course we also saw similar comparisons this year with Skyy Moore and we know how that has turned out. Flowers has actually performed in a better conference though, so maybe he's different. I can't help but hope that KC will finally someday take the 6'2", 210 athletic freak who can win contested catches. I know that's not the prototype Reid WR, but we've seen those players work in a Reid offense.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:52 AM 01-27-2023
Trade up. Draft Foskey.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:57 AM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
So my first (uninformed) thought is, not another 5'10" receiver. Having said that, can this guy actually play on the outside? Don't think we need yet another slot receiver. I saw some comparison in Twitter to Antonio Brown, of course we also saw similar comparisons this year with Skyy Moore and we know how that has turned out. Flowers has actually performed in a better conference though, so maybe he's different. I can't help but hope that KC will finally someday take the 6'2", 210 athletic freak who can win contested catches. I know that's not the prototype Reid WR, but we've seen those players work in a Reid offense.
We have those guys on the roster. Their names are Travis Kelce, Juju Smith Schuster, Noah Gray and Jody Fortson
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:11 AM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
We have those guys on the roster. Their names are Travis Kelce, Juju Smith Schuster, Noah Gray and Jody Fortson
Not sure if Juju will be here next year. But let me rephrase that, a WR of that size with 4.3-4.4 speed. All 4 of those you just listed are basically TEs, Juju plays like a big WR/small TE. I'm talking like a DeAndre Hopkins type at WR. Obviously those guys often go high in the draft, but even Hopkins himself went at pick #27 and Justin Jefferson went at pick 23, so it is possible.

Maybe Justyn Ross is that guy if he's healthy.
[Reply]
O.city 10:44 AM 01-27-2023
A 6.2/6.3 wr with 4.3 speed isn’t going to be available in the 30s
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:17 AM 01-27-2023
If Jalin Hyatt is available at our pick I think he's a no brainer.

He's a better version of Devante Smith and Jameson Williams - people were wanting those guys in the high teens.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:22 AM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

He's a better version of Devante Smith and Jameson Williams - people were wanting those guys in the high teens.
I could live with that. I do think OT and DE are bigger needs, but if they found a WR they liked in the 1st I'm sure as hell not going to complain.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:13 PM 01-27-2023

Better than Smith?! Nah, don't see it. Better tools sure, might be a better player ultimately but he doesn't do enough to warrant that praise imo. I don't think it's a particularly good year for WRs
[Reply]
Kellerfox 03:41 PM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
A 6.2/6.3 wr with 4.3 speed isn’t going to be available in the 30s
I'm just stirring the pot and playing devil's advocate (no dog in the fight), but...

DK Metcalf says hello (taken at 64).
[Reply]
Shoes 03:54 PM 01-27-2023

I don't know I see more Will Fuller Jr than I do Devante or Jameson if were talking comparables for Hyatt. Hyatt is an absolute speed merchant, will be interesting to see how he develops but I think Smith and Williams had more tools in their box when it comes to route running and winning underneath.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:52 PM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by Shoes:
I don't know I see more Will Fuller Jr than I do Devante or Jameson if were talking comparables for Hyatt. Hyatt is an absolute speed merchant, will be interesting to see how he develops but I think Smith and Williams had more tools in their box when it comes to route running and winning underneath.
Absolutely agree. Hyatt COULD be excellent but Smith was doing a lot more in college
[Reply]
kccrow 05:21 PM 01-27-2023
I'm not on board with Flowers, honestly. Nor am I on board with Downs. No reason to take that type of WR on Day 1.

Give me Tyler Scott on Day 2 though, all day.

Jalin Hyatt, that's one of the only guys that gets me pointing North in the 1st but that largely depends on what they do in FA to address the tackle spots.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:44 PM 01-27-2023
It'll never be a bad choice to give Mahomes a weapon; and I won't complain.

But when we have such need at OT and DE, I just can't get behind that as a first round pick in a vaccuum.

Meaning of course, without weighing FA or trades.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:57 PM 01-27-2023
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I had the same reaction, why are we so fixated on gadgety slot-WRs in KC!? I'd also like to see a dynamic outside WR in the vein of OBJ, Hopkins, or Q Johnston on this squad!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up