ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>DE Andre Carter will be in the draft thanks to the American government.
Direckshun 08:43 AM 01-18-2023
I was reading up on prospects, watching some tape, and on drafttek's round 1 mock draft, they had the Chiefs taking DE Andre Carter out of Army.

The last paragraph stood out to me, because I hadn't caught wind of it until literally just now:

Originally Posted by :
The Omnibus Appropriations Bill, posted to the U.S. Senate Committee on Appropriations, will determine the fate of EDGE Andre Carter II. The Reese's Senior Bowl selection has accumulated 20 sacks, 2 INTs, 5 forced fumbles and 2 blocked kicks during his collegiate career. If the bill stalls, he could drop... providing the Chiefs a more affordable and quality option at EDGE.
What?

Did Congress and President Biden make it possible for a player to enter the draft? :-)

Not rendering political judgment here, just thought it was legit interesting.

And sure enough:

Originally Posted by :
Army's Andre Carter II back on track for 2023 NFL Draft after President Joe Biden signs revised bill
by Eric Edholm
Published: Dec 30, 2022 at 01:31 PM

Now that President Joe Biden has signed the 2023 omnibus appropriations bill, one NFL draft hopeful can breathe a sigh of relief, having moved one big step closer to realizing his professional football dream.

The sprawling $1.7 trillion government spending bill for the 2023 fiscal year, which President Biden officially signed into law on Thursday, includes a revised provision that allows certain service-academy athletes with professional-sports aspirations to continue petitioning the United States military to defer their mandatory post-graduation service. This is a significant development for Andre Carter II, a highly touted edge-rushing prospect out of Army.

Graduates of military academies -- namely Army, Navy and Air Force -- are typically required to fulfill two years of active-service duty immediately following graduation. Service-academy athletes have been caught in the middle of policy changes on this matter in recent years. For instance, former Ravens sixth-rounder Keenan Reynolds was able to defer his service after being drafted in 2016, thanks to a policy change under the Obama administration. However, the U.S. Department of Defense rescinded that change a year later, barring athletes -- like former Air Force football players Jalen Robinette and Weston Steelhammer -- from delaying their required two years of service. In 2019, President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Mark Esper changed the guidelines, re-opening the door for athletes at military academies to delay their active-duty service after graduation in order to play professional sports, pending approval from the defense secretary. Once those players' athletic careers were over, they were required to fulfill their outstanding military obligation or repay the costs of their education.

A few weeks ago, though, it appeared the deferment option might go away immediately. Carter, a possible top-50 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, was just about to play in the fabled Army-Navy game when word surfaced that a small section of the U.S. military's annual budget contained language that would prevent service-academy athletes from deferring their mandatory post-graduation service. It stated, in part: "Agreement by a cadet or midshipman to play professional sport constitutes a breach of agreement to serve as an officer."

That would have applied to all the service-academy football players, but figured to impact Carter -- by far the best NFL prospect at any military school this draft cycle -- the most. Carter's family and Army's athletic department, with strong support from the athletic departments at Navy and Air Force, scrambled to figure out what their options were. The meat of their argument was that the sudden change unfairly hurt upperclassman athletes whose options would be hindered. According to Army's athletic department, service-academy students must "affirm" their commitments prior to the start of Year 3, essentially requiring them to double down on a pledge to the military -- and inherently increasing penalties substantially for athletes who drop out of school early. Carter didn't become an NFL prospect until his breakout, 15.5-sack season in 2021, at which point he had already affirmed his commitment. Declaring early for the NFL draft at that juncture would have carried a stiff financial penalty to repay his education at the academy. Army coaches told NFL.com -- and Carter confirmed -- that several big-name college football programs made overtures to Carter through back channels to try to lure him into the NCAA's transfer portal prior to his senior campaign, but that also would have imposed a hefty financial burden. Ultimately, Carter remained at Army for the 2022 season.

After news broke earlier this month that service-academy athletes could be barred from deferring their post-graduation service, lawmakers heard public outcry on the matter and went to work to change the bill as it was still working its way through Congress. Consequently, new language in the omnibus spending package grandfathered in all athletes enrolled prior to June 1, 2021, to the prior eligibility rules, as detailed on the 1,875th page of the bill that spans more than 4,000 pages. (Going forward, athletes enrolled after that date must fulfill their two years' service immediately following graduation.) The revised bill passed through the Senate and House last week before landing on President Biden's desk for signing.

Now, all that stands between Carter and a shot at the NFL is a waiver being granted from the Department of Defense. Since 2019, that has been considered a mere formality for the handful of NFL prospects from the service academies. But that's also why Carter is such a special case. NFL hopefuls are few and far between at Army, which has produced two draft picks -- both seventh-rounders -- in the common draft era (beginning in 1967). Although Carter's senior season wasn't as statistically dominant as his junior campaign, partially due to midseason injury, he returned to action and helped Army (6-6) win its final three games of the season, including a thrilling overtime victory over Navy. Carter finished his college football career with 20 sacks, two interceptions, five forced fumbles and two blocked kicks.

Carter has accepted an invitation to the Reese's Senior Bowl, which offers him a chance to revive some of the buzz he generated in 2021. NFL scouts also believe that Carter's rare athleticism at 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds could make him a potential eye-catcher at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine.

Either way, Carter projects to be the Black Knights' highest pick in the common draft era and a dark-horse candidate to be the school's first Round 1 selection since 1947.
Political intrigue. Congressional earmarking. The NFL Draft.

What else could you possibly want, I ask the good citizens of teh Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum.

What else could you possibly want.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:43 AM 01-18-2023
I love this kid and think he'd look swell in Ferrari Red and Gold.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 09:01 AM 01-19-2023
Where is he expected to go in the draft now that he can play right away?

Top 15?
[Reply]
kccrow 09:20 AM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Where is he expected to go in the draft now that he can play right away?

Top 15?
Hard to say. He had a really bad year this year and his grade is very much hinging on his 2021 performance, which was outstanding.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:07 AM 01-19-2023
I'd take a hard look at him if he was on the board at the bottom of the 2nd.

He is not a top 15 prospect and I would argue he is not a first round prospect, but that's more debatable.
[Reply]
JPH83 05:48 PM 01-19-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I'd take a hard look at him if he was on the board at the bottom of the 2nd.

He is not a top 15 prospect and I would argue he is not a first round prospect, but that's more debatable.
Kinda glad someone else feels the top 15 hype is a little rich. He looks like a guy where athletically the sky's the limit, but I can't see anyway he doesn't have a steep learning curve with the decent possibility of a low floor. Top 15 to me says immediate impact and I'm not sure you're getting that. What he could be year 2 or 3 is where the intrigue is.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:05 PM 01-19-2023
I don't necessarily know if he's a 1st round guy, he's more like a guy that's in that 40-50 range for me. He's probably not there in round 2 for KC. I'd definitely agree with not pushing the issue. I like some other guys a lot more at the end of one. If he absolutely crushes the combine, then maybe I start thinking about the traits and change my mind.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:19 AM 01-20-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I don't necessarily know if he's a 1st round guy, he's more like a guy that's in that 40-50 range for me. He's probably not there in round 2 for KC. I'd definitely agree with not pushing the issue. I like some other guys a lot more at the end of one. If he absolutely crushes the combine, then maybe I start thinking about the traits and change my mind.
My take on him too
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:44 AM 01-21-2023
I think people who are lower on the kid are not grasping just how difficult it is to get into a military academy.

It's about on par with the Ivy League. This kid is SMART and that kind of athlete? With a now instilled military discipline? Extremely low possibility that kid won't make the most of his ability.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:46 AM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think people who are lower on the kid are not grasping just how difficult it is to get into a military academy.

It's about on par with the Ivy League. This kid is SMART and that kind of athlete? With a now instilled military discipline? Extremely low possibility that kid won't make the most of his ability.
Good points.

You'd think his off-field traits would be off the charts.

I'm interested to see what his speed and quickness numbers look like. At 6-7/255, what does he run? What's his shuttle?
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:08 PM 01-23-2023

There are some positions where off-the-field intelligence translates to on-the-field intelligence, but DE is not one of those positions.

Frank Clark is one of the dumbest humans on earth and he's a smart DE. Have you seen Karlaftis? Guy is a lunkhead. You just have to be in-game smart.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 12:14 PM 01-23-2023

As a former army officer, I am biased. I think his leadership training and discipline will serve him very well in the NFL.

That said, I always hated ring knockers.

I also think he probably can substantially shift his physique once freed of the military constraints. Height weight and conforming to military physical training tests likely does not mesh well with training to become a professional athlete.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:28 PM 01-23-2023
Yeah, I'm not sure if I give a shit how smart a defensive lineman is. I don't want them to be extremely stupid though, I suppose. Mostly I want guys with the mentality of see the guy with the ball, kill the guy with the ball.

Now, you start talking LB and DB, I don't want dumb shits. Dumb shits on the back 7 are what fuck your defense.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:35 PM 01-23-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
There are some positions where off-the-field intelligence translates to on-the-field intelligence, but DE is not one of those positions.

Frank Clark is one of the dumbest humans on earth and he's a smart DE. Have you seen Karlaftis? Guy is a lunkhead. You just have to be in-game smart.
Karlaftis' intelligence was one of the reasons the Chiefs wanted him, I just read an article in the last week or so that claimed that.

I think you're missing my point.

A smart young athlete knows he has a lot to learn and wants to work their ass off to reach their potential. I think there is little chance that Carter does not achieve his potential.

A dumb-ass thinks their athletic ability is good enough.

Give me the smart kid with the work ethic every time.

PS-I don't think holding Frank Clark up as a measuring stick for a good but stupid DE is quite the home run swing that you think it is.
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 11:31 PM 01-23-2023
You watch this dude and his athleticism flys off the tape. You don’t have the stats he did without being an elite athlete. Team that with his size and I don’t see how he drops once the combine comes around, especially with his Army background and now Biden’s affiliation, the media will be all over him.

Doubt he falls out of the first, think he’d be a great complement to Karlaftis as a pass rusher as well. I bet by the time we get to the draft people will be wanting to trade up for him. If Marcus Davenport went top 20, I don’t think he’ll be far behind.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up