Jonathan Mingo
Quentin Johnston TCU
Jaxon Smith-Njigba Ohio State
Kayshon Boutte LSU
Jordan Addison USC
[Reply]
kccrow 08:14 AM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I typically agree with this sentiment, but I'm not sure Mecole Hardman and Sky Moore are making me feel comfortable with that plan as representatives of the 2nd round. Sure guys, we coulda taken George Pickens and I would probably feel better about 2nd round WRs and our WR Core then, but we didn't, so I think it might be worth a swing at a surer thing in the 1st if we can find one. I just feel like finding Mahomes a young star WR would be the biggest impact we could add to the team over the next 5 years.

Where do you guys think we would find the most impact with a draft pick? Filling a position of need or taking a position of strength over the top?
The bust rate in the 1st at WR is extraordinarily high. Nearly to the point that it brings into question even taking one there.

If all else is equal right now, fix RT.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:40 AM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
The bust rate in the 1st at WR is extraordinarily high. Nearly to the point that it brings into question even taking one there.

If all else is equal right now, fix RT.
Yes.

And in this offense, which is notoriously difficult to master in one season, we shouldn't go nuts in any one offseason. We should take ONE mid-rounder every year with whatever body type/play-style we feel can contribute, but expect that year one is essentially a 'get your feet wet' kind of season.
[Reply]
JPH83 10:37 AM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
A guy has to be a pretty eye-popping talent for me to say grab a WR in the first. It's a lot like RB to me. You can get really good ones in round 2. I don't know if it's a necessity for this team either.

If the obvious value falls, I'm good with it. Say a guy like Jaxon Smith-Njigba falls, yeah go ahead. I'm high on Hyatt as well, I think he has some game-changing speed and is a really solid WR to boot.

Otherwise, I think there is a lot of value in round 2 types this year. Xavier Hutchinson, Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims, Rakeem Jarrett, A.T. Perry, etc. I wouldn't go chasing one down.

I think you have to at least address RT and D-Line early though. I guess I'm really more on seeing who falls through the cracks in the 3rd round and maybe even making a move there. The kid from Cincinnati intrigues me.
Pretty much my feeling. I wouldn't be surprised if a decent if limited prospect falls to our 3rd pick. They're not going to be elite but they could be solid contributors.
[Reply]
JPH83 10:44 AM 01-21-2023
I typically agree with this sentiment, but I'm not sure Mecole Hardman and Sky Moore are making me feel comfortable with that plan as representatives of the 2nd round. Sure guys, we coulda taken George Pickens and I would probably feel better about 2nd round WRs and our WR Core then, but we didn't, so I think it might be worth a swing at a surer thing in the 1st if we can find one. I just feel like finding Mahomes a young star WR would be the biggest impact we could add to the team over the next 5 years.

Where do you guys think we would find the most impact with a draft pick? Filling a position of need or taking a position of strength over the top?
I'm in the 'keep the offense elite, give Mahomes weapons, screw the rest" camp...but sometimes you've got to accept and respond to what's there. This isn't a good year for WRs in FA or the draft. I essentially agree that getting an elite WR could be more impactful than just about anything else, i just don't think that's happening this year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:04 AM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I'm in the 'keep the offense elite, give Mahomes weapons, screw the rest" camp...but sometimes you've got to accept and respond to what's there. This isn't a good year for WRs in FA or the draft. I essentially agree that getting an elite WR could be more impactful than just about anything else, i just don't think that's happening this year.
See, I just think that this season is the ultimate argument AGAINST that.

Especially when it's a question of PAYING that 'elite' WR.

If you draft one, and he develops as such, then cool, great.

But having a group with diverse skillsets is just fine, and not a problem, in my opinion.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:23 AM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
See, I just think that this season is the ultimate argument AGAINST that.

Especially when it's a question of PAYING that 'elite' WR.

If you draft one, and he develops as such, then cool, great.

But having a group with diverse skillsets is just fine, and not a problem, in my opinion.
Totally get it. I'm not 100% confident of my own argument. If you told me you thought an elite DE is more impactful, yep, I can see that. But having middling WRs is about as manageable as having a poor RT imo. We can win a lot of games with these because Pat is good enough to work round poor OT and WR play. Maybe a quality DE gives him the ball back more, I could see that argument.

Either way I think we end at the same place. We're probably not prioritising WR in FA or the 1st round of the draft.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:28 AM 01-21-2023
Just for fun... Spotrac suggests JuJu is only worth $15m a year, Hopkins is set to make $20m next year and $15m the year after but wants a new deal. Maybe give them equal but opposite deals? JuJu gets' something like $15m, $17.5m, & $20m for future growth and Hopkins gets $20m, $17.5m, and $15m for his decline according to their ages? Probably have to throw in some more upside for Hopkins deal. But together, that's pretty much what MIA pays just Tyreek. I think it's fun to imagine, but both will likely want more, but if you could spend a 3rd on a known star like Hopkins you don't have to gamble on a 1st RD WR. This would make us beyond elite for the next 3 years.
[Reply]
Coogs 12:31 PM 01-21-2023
Trey Palmer from Nebraska might be a guy to keep an eye on somewhere on day 2. Transfered up from LSU last year. Played behind Jefferson and Chase. Had a big year at NU for a bad team.

6-1 and run a 4.44. Dude looked legit in the games I watched.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:46 PM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Totally get it. I'm not 100% confident of my own argument. If you told me you thought an elite DE is more impactful, yep, I can see that. But having middling WRs is about as manageable as having a poor RT imo. We can win a lot of games with these because Pat is good enough to work round poor OT and WR play. Maybe a quality DE gives him the ball back more, I could see that argument.

Either way I think we end at the same place. We're probably not prioritising WR in FA or the 1st round of the draft.
Here's the thing-If you have a top five WR, you're going to force feed him targets. You just will. And then we're back to 2021 again. Now, if you develop one, like say Toney gets into Yoga and can stay on the field, and in 2024, he's a true #1, then that's fine-he's still on a rookie deal, and you milk that cow as long as you can afford it. Hopefully, you have legit weapons around him, so you can make a defense pay for paying too much attention to him.

But if you go BUY one, now you have to justify that salary, AND you probably can't afford good secondary weapons, so you're back to 2021. Stars and scrubs.

Is a plus level pass rusher more valuable? ABSOLUTELY. Is a plus level pass blocker more valuable? ABSOLUTELY, I say- keeping Mahomes healthy is the entire ballgame. No Mahomes, no contender. A protected Mahomes will elevate those around him-he's already shown it.

Mahomes + Best 52. This formula will have you in serious contention every year until Mahomes hangs it up.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:49 PM 01-21-2023
Just for fun... Spotrac suggests JuJu is only worth $15m a year, Hopkins is set to make $20m next year and $15m the year after but wants a new deal. Maybe give them equal but opposite deals? JuJu gets' something like $15m, $17.5m, & $20m for future growth and Hopkins gets $20m, $17.5m, and $15m for his decline according to their ages? Probably have to throw in some more upside for Hopkins deal. But together, that's pretty much what MIA pays just Tyreek. I think it's fun to imagine, but both will likely want more, but if you could spend a 3rd on a known star like Hopkins you don't have to gamble on a 1st RD WR. This would make us beyond elite for the next 3 years.
Absolutely not to post 30 year old receivers that are expensive.

And while I might well pay Juju what he's earned, I would not plan on there being much more growth. He is what he is at this point, which is a useful player, but not likely to become something else.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 02:16 PM 01-21-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Here's the thing-If you have a top five WR, you're going to force feed him targets. You just will. And then we're back to 2021 again. Now, if you develop one, like say Toney gets into Yoga and can stay on the field, and in 2024, he's a true #1, then that's fine-he's still on a rookie deal, and you milk that cow as long as you can afford it. Hopefully, you have legit weapons around him, so you can make a defense pay for paying too much attention to him.

But if you go BUY one, now you have to justify that salary, AND you probably can't afford good secondary weapons, so you're back to 2021. Stars and scrubs.

Is a plus level pass rusher more valuable? ABSOLUTELY. Is a plus level pass blocker more valuable? ABSOLUTELY, I say- keeping Mahomes healthy is the entire ballgame. No Mahomes, no contender. A protected Mahomes will elevate those around him-he's already shown it.

Mahomes + Best 52. This formula will have you in serious contention every year until Mahomes hangs it up.
Fair arguments here
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:59 PM 01-21-2023

It’s it about the round, it’s about the talent evaluation. KC hasn’t proven to be able to evaluate WRs at all under Veach. They weren’t great either under Dorsey outside of lucking in to Hill.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 08:29 PM 01-22-2023
I know we have heart burn from drafting CEH, but I think Bijan Robinson should be someone we consider if he's there.

He's a guy that can be used frequently in the slot as well as RB. He feels more like a Deebo Samuel chess piece than a full fledged RB. You could have him + Pacheco on the field at the same time without sacrificing quality or scheme.
[Reply]
alanm 04:38 AM 01-23-2023
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Trey Palmer from Nebraska might be a guy to keep an eye on somewhere on day 2. Transfered up from LSU last year. Played behind Jefferson and Chase. Had a big year at NU for a bad team.

Shhhhhhhhhh. I'm hoping Bum Verch has him on his I Pad. But he's not going to remain a secret after the combine.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:49 PM 01-23-2023
Originally Posted by Coogs:

Knock on him is he's not very physical and a raw route runner
[Reply]
Page 2 of 34
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up