ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>Movies or TV Shows you've NEVER watched but everyone else has
scho63 02:37 PM 01-06-2023
A short time ago someone was asking about watching shows and when I told them, "no I've never watched that", they were apoplectic as if I had just killed their kid. It stunned them.

The movie was "It's a Wonderful Life." I have nothing against it and I watch plenty of black and white movies but I have never had a desire.

It made me think of others and what blockbusters people have assumed you watched. ( I can say 99% of the people who never saw the Godfather are women)

It's probably grown a lot since of all the streaming shows now for people who don't have certain subscriptions.

Some others that quickly come to mind:
1. Game of Thrones
2. The Walking Dead
3. All the Harry Potter franchise
4. Citizen Kane except small parts-didn't interest me
5. Gone with the Wind
6. Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul (However I plan to eventually binge both)
7. Vampire related movies after "The Lost Boys"
8. Schindler's List
9. Saving Private Ryan
[Reply]
srvy 07:47 PM 01-10-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
:-) Sopranos was/is on HBO/HBO Max. No commercials.

Give the wire a look. It’s not about the procedure, it’s about the story. Sure some of the wiretap technology is out of date but who cares? That’s like saying the drapes in Citizen Kane are out of date. Not worth watching. Just watch it. Interestingly the same dudes made a limited series called We Own This City which has an incredibly similar feel about the corruption in policing in Baltimore. That is a true story the Wire is not, but it just as well be a sequel. The Wire is really good.
Yeah I didn't subscribe to HBO back when it came out. I think when I started it it was through Hulu which had commercials with subscriptions.

May give the wire a chance as I see Wendle Pierce is in it and I like his character in the Jack Ryan series.
[Reply]
srvy 01-10-2023, 11:02 PM
This message has been deleted by srvy. Reason: doubled up
Al Bundy 12:22 AM 01-11-2023
The Game Of Thrones
The Sopranos
Gone With The Wind
All the Harry Potter franchise
Citizen Kane
[Reply]
blake5676 08:54 AM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I couldn't get into SOA, I should probably give it another try, but I struggled.

Didn't get into the shield.

But seriously, do the Wire. You'll laugh at some of the technology, but the interest isn't in the procedural, it is the story, and it might be one of the best TV shows ever.

Sopranos I only watched 2 years ago, and once I got engaged I was all in. But trying to see the thing objectively, if I didn't consume it, I would have lived a lesser life, but it didn't carry nearly the weight or power that The Wire did.

I'd recommend both, but if you only do 1, I'll die on the hill of the Wire.
SOA is entertaining, along the lines of Breaking Bad in my opinion. It's much more glaringly unrealistic, but still full of action and doesn't require too much brainpower.

You're speaking my love language on The Wire. There's just no other show that touches it, although Sopranos is excellent in it's own right. They are in fact probably my number 1 and 2 shows of all time. With The Leftovers right behind or maybe interchangeable with Sopranos. If you haven't seen that, give it a shot. You REALLY have to make it through the beginning half of S1 to get hooked with The Leftovers as it's such a different show and takes quite awhile to catch hold. But man....nothing else I've ever watched has fucked up my brain as much as that show did.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:09 AM 01-11-2023
S1 of The Leftovers was an absolutely brutal slog only rivaled by Season 1 of The Expanse. Couldn't make it through, and after watching Episode 1 of Watchmen, I've decided I simply despise Damon Lindeloff.
[Reply]
blake5676 09:19 AM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
S1 of The Leftovers was an absolutely brutal slog only rivaled by Season 1 of The Expanse. Couldn't make it through, and after watching Episode 1 of Watchmen, I've decided I simply despise Damon Lindeloff.
:-) :-) :-)

I can definitely appreciate that take. Calling it a slog perfectly encapsulates my feelings as well the first time I watched the series. I feel like by episode 6 or so it heated up for me and the rest that followed was excellent. But....I was rather close to giving up as well.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:32 PM 01-11-2023
A bunch of people who are frequent posters in the media center haven't watched some of the greatest movies in history, while watching, and celebrating, all kinds of crap. Seems like something that should be remedied.
[Reply]
penguinz 02:53 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
My wife made me watch them for the first time about 5 years ago.

Biggest waste of time in my life. I don't see the attraction to any of it.
I never understood the obsessions with Star Wars.
[Reply]
penguinz 03:06 PM 01-11-2023
**** it I'll say it:

Harry Potter Movies > Star Wars Movies
I have never seen any harry potter movies but I cannot argue with this.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:44 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
A bunch of people who are frequent posters in the media center haven't watched some of the greatest movies in history, while watching, and celebrating, all kinds of crap.
Hey look everyone, Pussin' By has something negative to say....again.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:46 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
If it's popular culture, i try to watch it to see what the fuss is about.

Because of this, i've seen most of the Star Wars stuff. All of the movies. Most of the shows.

I don't get the obsession either. I mean, i enjoy it for the most part. But it's defeninately a cheesy, garish franchise.
[Reply]
Pablo 03:49 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Hey look everyone, Pussin' By has something negative to say....again.
That dude is an enormous queer
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:12 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
I saw the first three movies at the perfect age. I was 14 when the first one came out and I think the last one came out when I was in college. They were amazing at the time, particularly the first one, because science fiction movies had always been terribly made and produced up to that point.

We then had a 20+ year gap before other Star Wars movies were produced. I watched the first couple and gave up because they were not entertaining to me. But I suspect that a lot of people of my generation indoctrinated their kids into the franchise just because the first three movies (especially the first one) were so strong.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:20 PM 01-11-2023
As for my movie/TV show gaps, I've never had HBO so I've never seen any of the shows that appeared on that network. That extends to other nontraditional networks as well, so I haven't seen most of the biggest series of the past twenty years, like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Oz, Ozark, Game of Thrones, The Wire, Six Feet Under, etc. Nary an episode of any of them.

I've seen almost none of the classic Black and White movies because frankly I think the acting is not very good in most of them.

I've never seen the Matrix series in the modern world, and haven't seen any of the James Bond films of the past 15 years.

In general, I guess I just don't watch many TV shows or movies any more. The only TV shows that I've watched that have been produced in the past 10 years or so are Arrested Development, The Good Place, Always Sunny, and Big Bang Theory.
[Reply]
Fish 05:54 PM 01-11-2023
Some of y'all in this thread... :-)

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Megatron96 06:01 PM 01-11-2023
Fuck it I'll say it:

Harry Potter Movies > Star Wars Movies
:-)
Oh, mylanta, just no. i tried to watch one of the HP movies; no idea which atrocity i was forced to watch, one of the first three I think, but dear god, I'd rather watch the SW prequel movies before ever subjecting myself to another HP movie.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up