ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>WR Deandre Hopkins?
Couch-Potato 09:30 AM 12-26-2022
I saw a few articles suggesting that the Cardinals might trade Deandre Hopkins this offseason. They've only won 4 games this year, might need to cash in and rebuild. Many believe he'd end up in NE after Bill Belichick flirted with him on the sidelines recently, but I'm wondering if he wants to play for a winning team at some point in his career. Others, like the Giants are speculating he could be had for a 2nd RD pick, which means if we were interested it would likely cost us a 2nd + an additional pick.

Hopkins contract salary is for $19.5m & $15m over the next two years, even if you paid JuJu $20m you'd still only be paying $10m more than Tyreek's contract for both. Hopkins missed 6 games, and JuJu has missed 1, but JuJu is only 160 yards ahead of Hopkins, both with 3 TDS and 11 yards per catch, so he hasn't lost a step. Hopkins also plays on the outside, and we could really use a tall outside WR, plus he's a phenomenal deep threat.

I think it'd be really interesting to explore a Deandre Hopkins trade this offseason with all those extra picks, for maybe a 2nd & 5th(?), to hopefully pair him with JuJu. Let Hardman, Watson AND MVS ($8.5m next year & $11.5m the following) walk.

Imagine rolling that Tyreek trade into the greatest passing attack we've ever had, and then blowing THAT offense out of the water the following year!

TE Kelce - Stalwart Goat TE
WR Hopkins - Tall Star Outside Deep Threat
WR JuJu - Big & Tall Slot Star
WR Toney - Fast & Crazy Agile Gadget / Returner
WR Moore - Chain Mover, grows into highly reliable route runner & pass catcher
WR Ross - Surprise Talent, has 2 year to learn from Hopkins
WR Rookie - New Blood
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 06:36 PM 01-14-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I remember when Deshawn Watson would just throw the ball deep down the field and pray, Hopkins seemed to always come down with it. I used to always argue that their offense wasn't sustainable because no way they could just heave it up to Hopkins for a 50:50 ball like that all the time, but they did.
And before Watson, Hopkins made Hoyer look like a competent QB.:-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:45 PM 01-14-2023
still not only no, but fuck no.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:30 PM 02-13-2023

...@PatrickMahomes is different ��

— Deandre Hopkins (@DeAndreHopkins) February 13, 2023

[Reply]
Halfcan 10:33 PM 02-13-2023
Hop would have to take a pay cut. He is old and coming off a roid tarnished season.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:52 PM 02-14-2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxuJiLT_6Y
[Reply]
kccrow 09:03 PM 02-14-2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxuJiLT_6Y
Still No.

Thought about putting a youtube video link to someone screaming no but didn't. :-)

The only way you trade for a 30-year-old WR is if it's a day 3 pick. So, the real question is if you think the Cards would accept a day 3 pick. If your answer is no then I wouldn't think about it further. If your answer is yes, I'd love to hear how that's a value.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:25 AM 02-23-2023
FWIW Verderame said on his pod that it would essentially be a 2 year $36 million with basically option years.

Not sure if that’s how the money works but I’d consider that if that was the case
[Reply]
O.city 09:28 AM 02-23-2023
Man......I don't think I'm interested in that.

But, devils advocate, he does play a style that lends to the way we played last year.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:11 AM 02-23-2023
The problem is that this FA class sucks. I’ve heard it multiple times that this is one of the worst FA classes ever.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:32 AM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
He probably won’t play for $15M. He probably holds out or asks for a trade for a long term deal? We traded tyreek with one year left on his deal. We could have kept him for one more year and then traded him. Veach doesn’t normally sign older players unless they are cheap on one year deals. I’m not saying it’s a terrible idea at all. It’s a great idea but the assumptions for how this would work are faulty. Dhop wants a new deal if traded.
Not sure if that's true. DHop is closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and he's already made his money, to the tune of over $110M for his career so far. He could be a ring-hunter at this point, and therefore willing to take a pay cut and a short contract to finally be a SB champion.

And he's still playing at a very high level, at or near his prime. He might be too old to be the long-term answer at WR1, but he could definitely fill that role as a dominant bridge for the next two to three years until Veach drafts the long-term WR1.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:49 AM 02-23-2023
So it would be the base salaries for Hopkins which are 2 years, $34.5 million. I would sign up for that all day if we trade a day 3 pick.

Again no guaranteed $$
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:13 AM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
So it would be the base salaries for Hopkins which are 2 years, $34.5 million. I would sign up for that all day if we trade a day 3 pick.

Again no guaranteed $$
Yeah, if you can get Hopkins for a Day 3 pick AND he is willing to play out the deal... sure.

But how likely are either of those things?

1/20 on the first and 1/50 on the second?

If either is not true, it's a pass for KC.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 02:52 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Not sure if that's true. DHop is closer to the end of his career than the beginning, and he's already made his money, to the tune of over $110M for his career so far. He could be a ring-hunter at this point, and therefore willing to take a pay cut and a short contract to finally be a SB champion.

And he's still playing at a very high level, at or near his prime. He might be too old to be the long-term answer at WR1, but he could definitely fill that role as a dominant bridge for the next two to three years until Veach drafts the long-term WR1.
This is true, he might have more incentive to be in KC than JuJu who might want to score the biggest contract he can. I would also add that it's probable that joining KC takes some pressure off of Hopkins to be the #1 and extends his career longevity allowing him to further capitalize.

The only thing I have against this idea, which I mostly love anyways, is that we'd realistically have to give up a 2nd or 3rd plus a late round pick or conditional pick next year, and pay him a significant contract. I speculate this is the case because many other team's fanbases are projecting they will offer a 2nd for him. When it's possible we might be able to accomplish the same production by spending either just the pick(s), or the money, elsewhere.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:53 PM 02-23-2023
This is true, he might have more incentive to be in KC than JuJu who might want to score the biggest contract he can. I would also add that it's probable that joining KC takes some pressure off of Hopkins to be the #1 and extends his career longevity allowing him to further capitalize.

The only thing I have against this idea, which I mostly love anyways, is that we'd realistically have to give up a 2nd or 3rd plus a late round pick or conditional pick next year, and pay him a significant contract. I speculate this is the case because many other team's fanbases are projecting they will offer a 2nd for him. When it's possible we might be able to accomplish the same production by spending either just the pick(s), or the money, elsewhere.
Meh. I've been convinced this will never happen anyway, but it's fun to speculate. I would say that if all it took was a 3rd this year and a future 3rd/4th/whatever, that's worth it. Take that deal and run very fast.
[Reply]
kccrow 11:37 PM 02-23-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, if you can get Hopkins for a Day 3 pick AND he is willing to play out the deal... sure.

But how likely are either of those things?

1/20 on the first and 1/50 on the second?

If either is not true, it's a pass for KC.
This is precisely how I feel.

Trading for Hopkins isn't the problem. The money can work as is. Changing the money or paying more than day 3 is an absolute no in my opinion. Can a team outbid a low 4th rounder from KC? You bet your ass they can, and likely will.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up