ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>WR Deandre Hopkins?
Couch-Potato 09:30 AM 12-26-2022
I saw a few articles suggesting that the Cardinals might trade Deandre Hopkins this offseason. They've only won 4 games this year, might need to cash in and rebuild. Many believe he'd end up in NE after Bill Belichick flirted with him on the sidelines recently, but I'm wondering if he wants to play for a winning team at some point in his career. Others, like the Giants are speculating he could be had for a 2nd RD pick, which means if we were interested it would likely cost us a 2nd + an additional pick.

Hopkins contract salary is for $19.5m & $15m over the next two years, even if you paid JuJu $20m you'd still only be paying $10m more than Tyreek's contract for both. Hopkins missed 6 games, and JuJu has missed 1, but JuJu is only 160 yards ahead of Hopkins, both with 3 TDS and 11 yards per catch, so he hasn't lost a step. Hopkins also plays on the outside, and we could really use a tall outside WR, plus he's a phenomenal deep threat.

I think it'd be really interesting to explore a Deandre Hopkins trade this offseason with all those extra picks, for maybe a 2nd & 5th(?), to hopefully pair him with JuJu. Let Hardman, Watson AND MVS ($8.5m next year & $11.5m the following) walk.

Imagine rolling that Tyreek trade into the greatest passing attack we've ever had, and then blowing THAT offense out of the water the following year!

TE Kelce - Stalwart Goat TE
WR Hopkins - Tall Star Outside Deep Threat
WR JuJu - Big & Tall Slot Star
WR Toney - Fast & Crazy Agile Gadget / Returner
WR Moore - Chain Mover, grows into highly reliable route runner & pass catcher
WR Ross - Surprise Talent, has 2 year to learn from Hopkins
WR Rookie - New Blood
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:31 PM 12-26-2022
Id do that so fast!

Hopkins would be deadly with Patrick throwing him the ball. He is exactly what we are missing. If this deal is possible, I would love to see it happen!
[Reply]
kcbubb 01:14 PM 12-26-2022
I thought the whole point of trading Hill was that we didn’t need to spend a significant portion of our cap at WR. Mahomes has proven that we can be a #1 offense with our current skill players. I’d prefer to continue the rebuild through the draft and spend our cap $ on oline or defense.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 01:42 PM 12-26-2022
I remember when Deshawn Watson would just throw the ball deep down the field and pray, Hopkins seemed to always come down with it. I used to always argue that their offense wasn't sustainable because no way they could just heave it up to Hopkins for a 50:50 ball like that all the time, but they did.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 01:43 PM 12-26-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
I thought the whole point of trading Hill was that we didn’t need to spend a significant portion of our cap at WR. Mahomes has proven that we can be a #1 offense with our current skill players. I’d prefer to continue the rebuild through the draft and spend our cap $ on oline or defense.
True, but how about spending a moderate amount of $ on x2 WRs?

Or, some might even argue he's more valuable than JuJu and worth the picks.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:04 PM 12-26-2022
If it could be done reasonably, it'd almost be criminal not to acquire DHop.
[Reply]
O.city 02:26 PM 12-26-2022
Nah

Didn’t wanna pay Tyreek so you could spread that $ out

Go find the next jjss
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:50 PM 12-26-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Nah

Go find the next jjss
You’re forgetting that if you have DHop, you don’t need MVS or JJSS. Maybe not even Hardman (as long as we have Toney). You could load up on drafted WRs or pick up a pile of young WRs in FA, because you have a true WR1.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 07:59 PM 12-26-2022
Hopkins salary is very reasonable for the next two years, especially for a WR of his caliber.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 08:57 PM 12-26-2022
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
Hopkins salary is very reasonable for the next two years, especially for a WR of his caliber.
Less than what JuJu will likely expect
[Reply]
Nightfyre 02:17 AM 12-27-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Nah

Go find the next jjss
Two years of Hopkins for half what Tyreek made? Sign me up.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:36 AM 12-27-2022
Idk man. He’s 30 and hurt a lot.

Edit: he missed 6 games both this year and last year and other than that only ever missed 1 a year. Seems I’m mixing him up with someone else in the Texans that was always hurt.

Nonetheless I’m not keen on paying 31 and 32 year old WRs. Plus he may hold out given what dudes are making.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 04:13 AM 12-27-2022
I'm not sure about hurt a lot, but yes he is 30+ years old. Which is why the Chiefs could be a good home for him. We'd take some pressure off of him, give him a chance to win. He could settle in with Andy and Pat and sign a new contract with us similar to JuJu this offseason. Hopkins at $19.5m in 2022 + $15m in 2023, so maybe we could convince JuJu to accept something similar, $15m in 2022 and $19.5m in 2023. That's only $35m per year for x2 stars, where Tyreek was going to cost $30m himself.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:53 AM 12-27-2022
Given the gaping holes at DE, and OT, and the fact that we have like the #1 offense in football anyway, no I'd rather not invest in an often injured 30 year old WR.
[Reply]
Dante84 10:59 AM 12-27-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Idk man. He’s 30 and hurt a lot.

Edit: he missed 6 games both this year and last year and other than that only ever missed 1 a year. Seems I’m mixing him up with someone else in the Texans that was always hurt.

Nonetheless I’m not keen on paying 31 and 32 year old WRs. Plus he may hold out given what dudes are making.
The 6 he missed this year was because of suspension, too. He's been mostly reliable health-wise.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up