ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>VPN Software
BigRichard 05:59 AM 12-18-2022
Is there any software out there to setup VPN on a local computer on your home/small business network? I have set that up myself before and I am just looking for more ease of use for my small business. MY IP address isn't static so I was hoping some platform had where you could install some software on a PC on your network and it just manages the connection for you through software you install elsewhere on any other PC. You don't have to know any IP... you just log into the account and boom... you can connect. Is there anything like that?
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:26 AM 12-18-2022
Torguard offers this.

Black Friday put the cost at $30 a year.
[Reply]
Otter 08:58 AM 12-18-2022
I use Proton VPN. Not sure what level of security you're looking for but if it's truly sensitive data it offers a hop through Switzerland and absolutely cutting edge encryption.

It's not the cheapest and it doesn't play well with Linux sometimes but if you're just looking for a software base VPN you can't go wrong. Now is a good time to buy as well as there's a lot of competition in the market.

Just don't go free vpn or your data becomes the payment method, you'll be guaranteed slow performance, no recourse or support for problem. Make sure the package you buy supports the number of clients you'll be using it on including tablets, desktops and smartphones.

Also, check for discount codes as they almost all have one before paying full retail. If I'm not mistaken Mozilla also just came out with their on VPN and they've always been reliable as far as privacy.

https://protonvpn.com/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/vpn/

Good luck!
[Reply]
BigRichard 02:20 PM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
Torguard offers this.

Black Friday put the cost at $30 a year.
It looks like maybe they do offer something like what I am wanting but it isn't part of their $30 a year stuff... it is a completely different plan and it is a bit more expensive. I still might consider it.
[Reply]
BigRichard 02:24 PM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
I use Proton VPN. Not sure what level of security you're looking for but if it's truly sensitive data it offers a hop through Switzerland and absolutely cutting edge encryption.

It's not the cheapest and it doesn't play well with Linux sometimes but if you're just looking for a software base VPN you can't go wrong. Now is a good time to buy as well as there's a lot of competition in the market.

Just don't go free vpn or your data becomes the payment method, you'll be guaranteed slow performance, no recourse or support for problem. Make sure the package you buy supports the number of clients you'll be using it on including tablets, desktops and smartphones.

Also, check for discount codes as they almost all have one before paying full retail. If I'm not mistaken Mozilla also just came out with their on VPN and they've always been reliable as far as privacy.

https://protonvpn.com/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/vpn/

Good luck!
I am not looking for VPN that a company hosts... I am looking for software that puts a VPN on my business network that I can connect to very easily. I have setup VPN before on my home network and it is just a bigger pain than it is worth at times. If the IP address changes then I have to get it again and if I am away from the network it can be a bitch to find. I would prefer some software that is installed on a computer/server on the network then they have other software you can install on other devices which allows me to just login to their software service and allow me to connect to my own VPN that is hosted on my local business network.
[Reply]
Fish 04:06 PM 12-18-2022
Buy yourself a router that has internal VPN capabilities. Configure VPN at the router level. Every device that connects to the router via ethernet or wireless will be behind the VPN with no additional configuration necessary.
[Reply]
Otter 04:19 PM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
I am not looking for VPN that a company hosts... I am looking for software that puts a VPN on my business network that I can connect to very easily. I have setup VPN before on my home network and it is just a bigger pain than it is worth at times. If the IP address changes then I have to get it again and if I am away from the network it can be a bitch to find. I would prefer some software that is installed on a computer/server on the network then they have other software you can install on other devices which allows me to just login to their software service and allow me to connect to my own VPN that is hosted on my local business network.
Ah, I missed your goals. Reading too fast.

In that case, what Fish said.
[Reply]
BigRichard 07:13 PM 12-18-2022
Originally Posted by Fish:
Buy yourself a router that has internal VPN capabilities. Configure VPN at the router level. Every device that connects to the router via ethernet or wireless will be behind the VPN with no additional configuration necessary.
Still not what I am looking for. I don't want my stuff on my network to be VPN'd somewhere... I want to be at my home(or in Florida or Nebraska) and VPN into my business network. I want the software to manage that VPN connection. I don't want to hassel with configuring everything and then having to know my IP address to connect to.
[Reply]
Fish 01:16 AM 12-19-2022
Still not what I am looking for. I don't want my stuff on my network to be VPN'd somewhere... I want to be at my home(or in Florida or Nebraska) and VPN into my business network. I want the software to manage that VPN connection. I don't want to hassel with configuring everything and then having to know my IP address to connect to.
Ahh I see. Sorry. Well then you'd have to have a machine/server on your business network running a VPN server and configured with access to the network. My organization uses Palo Alto Globalprotect. But that's more geared toward large environments with lots of different devices and connection capabilities. There are others that are cheaper and more basic.

That would need to be OK'd by your business's system admin and allowed on the network, because normally that kind of network traffic would be blocked. And you'd still need to configure each remote device at least once to tell it what remote VPN server to connect to. After that you'd simply need to hit the Connect button to reconnect. Technically you could use an MDM solution to autoconfigure if you have MDM capabilities. But since you don't already have a VPN connection in the office I'm guessing you are not using MDM.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:27 AM 12-19-2022
Why can't he just use something like LogMeIn Pro? or TeamViewer?

Seems you guys are shooting to bake a cake when the objective was a cookie.
[Reply]
BigRichard 07:29 AM 12-19-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Why can't he just use something like LogMeIn Pro? or TeamViewer?

Seems you guys are shooting to bake a cake when the objective was a cookie.
I could possibly use TeamViewer to hit the PC and just do my work that way but I was looking more for letting that PC just be the intermediary gateway. I was probably going to set this up on a very limited PC and use my laptop that runs all my software for monitoring my network connect to it from elsewhere and allow it to be connected to my work network. I may rethink what I am trying to do.

Fish was saying something about needing permission... I asked myself... I said it was OK :-). This is my business network... fairly small but I would like to be able to do some remote management when necessary.
[Reply]
Molitoth 08:34 AM 12-19-2022
Torguards Software just allows you to click a big EZ button and you are connected.

I think it's exactly what you are looking for to be honest.

Regular price is $60 a year... but they hold Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals every year for 50% off.

They might even do this around Easter as well...
[Reply]
Stewie 02:17 PM 12-28-2022
A recent lawsuit proves VPN'S are pretty much worthless when push comes to shove.

The case had to do with bullying and the perpetrator used a well known VPN, bought and paid for.

The investigation went to a pretty high level and voila, the perp was immediately identified even with the VPN.

Tread carefully my friends.
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:49 PM 12-28-2022
Originally Posted by Stewie:
A recent lawsuit proves VPN'S are pretty much worthless when push comes to shove.

The case had to do with bullying and the perpetrator used a well known VPN, bought and paid for.

The investigation went to a pretty high level and voila, the perp was immediately identified even with the VPN.

Tread carefully my friends.
Say you don't know what we are even talking about without saying you don't know what we are talking about.
[Reply]
Molitoth 07:44 AM 12-29-2022
Say you don't know what we are even talking about without saying you don't know what we are talking about.

It all depends on what you use a VPN for, but yes Stewie... when using to do illegal things like download copywritten content, these services will all eventually lose in court and/or be forced into providing logs.
(IMO)

https://restoreprivacy.com/torguard-...QjzwvLXf192E88

https://securityreport.com/movie-studios-sue-torguard-after-10-million-legal-battle-with-liquidvpn/?fbclid=IwAR0hVCCQlUbZsBUz9qvjUP_wucinctjC21OnFUGjrE8GRWxsomBabeHoK6Y

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up