ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Okay, so what *is* your plan for the 2023 passrush?
Direckshun 03:43 PM 11-08-2022
Alright, it's bleeding into multiple threads, so let's forge a master thread to control all others, and into this thread we will pour our cruelty, our malice, and our will to dominate all life. Truly a thread to rule them all.

You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Brian Burns. You guys shat on me when I wanted to pour two 1sts into Josh Allen. And just for fun a couple of you guys were jerks when I wanted to go sign Bradley Chubb this coming offseason.

Just a bunch of meanies.

So what is your plan, exactly? This team needs a front four that can get pressure, Karlaftis isn't developing with the speed we'd like, and Jones is the only guy who can get to the QB.

What's your plan?

Here's the free agent passrushers this coming offseason. And the Chiefs do have 11 draft picks, but only one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd.

Are you going to burn a 1st? You're probably going to need that 1st (plus additional ammo) to get the offensive tackle you're simultaneously complaining we need to replace Brown at LT. If you take the 1st for DL, you're tagging and/or extending Brown, and you should say so.

I assume you're cutting Frank Clark, so the Chiefs will have about $50m to play with, but this is your 2023 depth chart right now:

DE: Danna, Herring
DT: Jones,
DT:
DE: Karlaftis, Kaindoh

That's it, suckers. You're probably going to need to add two DEs, and three DTs, minimum.

Current Chiefs who will be RFA: Wharton

Current Chiefs who will be FA: Saunders, Nnadi, Dunlap, Stallworth, Shelton, Azur Kamara

So what's your plan? kccrow's? His top three DEs are Karlaftis, Mike Danna, and Dawuane Smoot. I'm underwhelmed and ashamed.

Whatever your plan is, be prepared for me to hate it. I just hate it already.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:43 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
would.
Of the guys likely to be available in the last 3rd of the 1st round, I think Verse is my favorite of them. Finding a guy to add some quick twitch speed to the DL while also still having the power to make Spagnuolo want him isn't the easiest thing to do, especially where the Chiefs are usually drafting.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:09 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Of the guys likely to be available in the last 3rd of the 1st round, I think Verse is my favorite of them. Finding a guy to add some quick twitch speed to the DL while also still having the power to make Spagnuolo want him isn't the easiest thing to do, especially where the Chiefs are usually drafting.
My dark horse is Andre Carter; I'm sure Spags looks at this kid and sees Michael Strahan.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:14 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
So your plan was to acquire Chubb in free agency? Outbidding 31 other teams?

Never ever going to happen. You should focus on realistic scenarios.
You're assuming 31 other teams have both the intention and capability of signing Chubb.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:18 AM 12-14-2022
My dark horse is Andre Carter; I'm sure Spags looks at this kid and sees Michael Strahan.
I like him a lot, too. It seems like his stock has tumbled a bit over the course of the season. If he tests like he could, that might reverse in a hurry.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:21 PM 12-29-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The FA market for LT is garbage. Orlando Brown is clearly the best. The free agent market for DE is bad too.

I know a lot of people hate Brown Jr but he’s a decent LT and it is HARD to find that in this league, especially picking late in the first rd.

I think we will pay Brown Jr but I’m hopeful that the contract structure is fair.

For DE just get a strong rotation. The value of guys like Jerry Hughes, Carlos Dunlap and Justin Houston is unmatched. It’s a hell of a bargain.

Use the draft to get a RT and pass rusher. That’s by far the best place to improve
This is a fallacy that people keep telling themselves in order to accept something they actually disagree with. Call it some twisted form of cognitive dissonance if you will.

We all know that Brown is NOT a "decent" pass-blocking LT. It also is not THAT HARD to go get a LT. Teams do it every single year. It is true that if you wait for it to come to you as late in the 1st as KC will pick, the likelihood of getting one is slim. That said, teams do get passable LTs between 10 and 20 all the time. That is a manageable trade zone.

Settling for OBj is the worst possible mistake. If the fear is that KC just might not get that LT in the draft this year, I'd easily watch KC trot out Geron Christian or Andre Dillard or George Fant at pennies on the dollar in lieu of OBj because at least I know that their level of play will be no more atrocious than OBj and it won't cost a market contract.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 07:24 PM 12-29-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
This is a fallacy that people keep telling themselves in order to accept something they actually disagree with. Call it some twisted form of cognitive dissonance if you will.

We all know that Brown is NOT a "decent" pass-blocking LT. It also is not THAT HARD to go get a LT. Teams do it every single year. It is true that if you wait for it to come to you as late in the 1st as KC will pick, the likelihood of getting one is slim. That said, teams do get passable LTs between 10 and 20 all the time. That is a manageable trade zone.

Settling for OBj is the worst possible mistake. If the fear is that KC just might not get that LT in the draft this year, I'd easily watch KC trot out Geron Christian or Andre Dillard or George Fant at pennies on the dollar in lieu of OBj because at least I know that their level of play will be no more atrocious than OBj and it won't cost a market contract.
The problem is that this tackle class is so weak. Good luck getting one in the teens.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:58 PM 12-29-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
The problem is that this tackle class is so weak. Good luck getting one in the teens.
I wholeheartedly disagree. It's quite solid.

Paris Johnson will declare, no doubt.
Peter Skoronski has declared.
Jaelyn Duncan is in.
Matthew Bergeron is in.

If Broderick Jones declares then its a really good class.

It's even deep with 2nd and 3rd round RT prospects.

There are also a finite number of teams that need a LT. Most teams aren't taking a RT that high, but some do. It doesn't lengthen the list much.

And no, I don't think it's good luck. You get aggressive and go get one.

If all that does fail? Take a player with as many traits as you can in the 3rd or 4th and develop him for a season.

What you don't do? Settle for shit because you think you can't do better.
[Reply]
O.city 08:52 PM 12-29-2022
Yeah I don’t care for this LT class once you get past the kid from Ohio state

There’s some developmental guys there but I dunno if any of those are trade up insert day 1 guys
[Reply]
Stryker 10:27 PM 12-29-2022
Just a ? Why did OBJ get a Pro Bowl vote? I am being serious here - I actually do not get it :-)
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:53 PM 12-29-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I wholeheartedly disagree. It's quite solid.

Paris Johnson will declare, no doubt.
Peter Skoronski has declared.
Jaelyn Duncan is in.
Matthew Bergeron is in.

If Broderick Jones declares then its a really good class.

It's even deep with 2nd and 3rd round RT prospects.

There are also a finite number of teams that need a LT. Most teams aren't taking a RT that high, but some do. It doesn't lengthen the list much.

And no, I don't think it's good luck. You get aggressive and go get one.

If all that does fail? Take a player with as many traits as you can in the 3rd or 4th and develop him for a season.

What you don't do? Settle for shit because you think you can't do better.
Which RT's do you like in the 2nd & 3rd?

I like Dawand Jones, 6-8 359 lbs, currently.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:37 AM 12-30-2022
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Which RT's do you like in the 2nd & 3rd?

I like Dawand Jones, 6-8 359 lbs, currently.
A lot of it is dependent on how a guy actually functions at RT if he played LT. Guys I'd probably want to look at are:

Darnell Wright, Tennessee
Jaxson Kirkland, Washington
Ryan Hayes, Michigan
Blake Freeland, BYU
Jordan Morgan, Arizona
Zion Nelson, Miami

The ones I'd feel a bit more confident in plug-and-play from that group are Wright, Kirkland, and Freeland but there has to be some degree of development.

Dependent on the LT situation, I'd also look at Matt Bergeron at RT but I like him quite a bit as a LT too and he's played both spots. I just don't see Bergeron making it out of the end of the 1st and we're talking more about 2nd/3rd round.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:19 AM 12-30-2022
I'm leaning towards taking an OT in round one and signing Ngakoue.

That's if we can't pry Nijman away from GB. I would think a #2 and a mid-tier LT contract would do it, and I'd pull the trigger on that. If we can do that, then someone like Verse in the first would be my target.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:00 AM 12-30-2022
I really like Andre Carter too! Here's my plan for the DL...

RD 1 - DT Byran Breese, 6-5 305 lbs (If he falls somehow to 15-20 due to ACL)
RD 2 - DE Tuli Tuipuloto, 6-4 290 lbs
RD 3 - Traded Up in 1st

or

RD 1 - DE Andre Carter, 6-7 260
RD 2 - RT Dawond Jones, 6-8 358
RD 3 - DT Keenan Benton, 6-4 315

By the metrics this DL isn't as bad as we all thought, add a couple guys and they could become really solid. My #1 guy, outside of Will Anderson on a miracle, would probably be DT Byron Bresee if he somehow falls to the 15-20 range due to his ACL injury. But with 15.5 sacks under his belt last year I really love Andrew Carter as our new speed rusher opposite of Furious George! Or how about Tuli Tuipuloto!? Guy's got some serious speed at 290 lbs! Spending a 2nd to sure up our RT spot would be nice, and then maybe pray that a quality DL somehow falls to the 3rd where we'd likely have to move up to pick him. Tag OBJ, he's PFF's highest graded tackle in pass blocking over the last 6 weeks. We're currently top 3 SB contenders with him, give it one more year. If we can pull off the above then we have the luxury of moving up for a replacement LT next year.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:50 AM 12-30-2022
I think it's partly about the extent to which it can be fixed in FA given we also need to sort RT and to a lesser extent LT, WR and probably safety.

I reckon DE and RT are our biggest problems, followed by DT. Then a level below comes LT and WR. Given the lack of FA options at WR and LT I'm not sure we look for fixes there and I'm probably not trading up to get a top draft prospect. So that leaves DE, RT and DT to sort. I reckon you can get 2 done but maybe not all 3 in FA.

If that's the case I'd look to bring in someone like Okoronkwo at DE or possibly a Smoot or Omenihu. I'd then look ar a guy like Wormley ar DT. Decent all rounder, solid against the run with a little pass rush, enough to free up Jones. Should be cheaper than someone like Ioannides or Gaines I'm guessing but those 2 are options.

If I've got enough left to pick up an RT or swing like Dillard in FA, cool, that might sort as an upgrade. In which case I'd go for whatever DE or DT offers the best pass rush at the back of the first round in the draft. Verse, Carter, Kancey, or maybe even a Will Mcdonald type. Sod the run, just pure speed and explosiveness. Then I'm probably looking at BPA for the rest of the draft focusing on OT, WR, DT, DE and safety.

If I can't pick up a RT in FA I'd probably prioritise the best OT left IF they look like an immediate solid RT upgrade, with the possibility of moving across to LT in future. Then it's again the best pass rush option from DE or DT in R2, then BPA again for the wider group of needs.

I don't expect us to fix LT, I think we tag OBJ and try and get decent upgrades at RT, DE and DT. Would love us to have room for a WR in the first 3 rounds but might be tricky unless we nail FA.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:50 PM 12-30-2022
I think the thing about tagging OBj again and then trying to get a guy that can play into being the eventual LT has alot of merit JP.

One reason I'm really high on Bergeron is he's probably going to be there later in the 1st unless he knocks socks off at the Senior Bowl, and he has experience starting two years at both tackle spots.

As much as I don't like OBj, I could stomach him another season IF they get better at RT in the interim with a plan for succession at LT and they don't offer him a market-setting contract.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up