ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Nzoner's Game Room>Referee Ron Torbert's crew assigned to work Chiefs-Bengals game
Realbaddog 08:41 AM 01-27-2023
Oh great, almost as bad as Cheffers.

Ninth-year NFL referee Ron Torbert and his crew have been assigned as the officials for the AFC Championship Game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Cincinnati Bengals.

Torbert hasn’t officiated a Chiefs game this season, but fans will remember him from 2021, and not in a good way. He was an unscheduled white-hat substitution for John Hussey against the Bengals during their Week 17 regular-season loss. During that game, Torbert’s crew called 10 penalties for 83 yards against Kansas City. It was the second-most penalties the Chiefs had called against them in a single game that season.

If we’re only considering the 2022 NFL season as evidence, Torbert and his crew have been among the best in the league in terms of penalty volume. In 16 games officiated, their 172 penalties called are good for the fourth-fewest in the NFL. That said, once a penalty is called by Torbert’s crew, expect it to stand. Their 20 dismissed penalties are the second-fewest in the NFL this season. They’ve officiated fairly even on the home (89) and away (83) fronts so far this season.

As far as how this crew officiates, they’re definitely not a “let them play” crew and they almost always side with the offense. Torbert’s 17 defensive pass interference penalties tie for the second-most in the league this season. For comparison’s sake, they’ve only called four offensive pass interference penalties all year. The Chiefs lead the NFL in defensive pass interference penalties this season (14) while the Bengals are right around the league average (6). Basically, expect Ja’Marr Chase to continue to get away with pushing off and Chiefs defenders to be penalized for any contact downfield.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2023...nnati-bengals/
[Reply]
irafreak 11:03 PM 01-29-2023
They refs tried to stop the play. I think when you blow the whistle and come running in, you gotta stick with that. It could've been to our detriment and it would stink if an offense had the perfect play call but is what it is. Just be consistent.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:06 PM 01-29-2023
It was a well-called game. I had a few quibbles, like two Chiefs touchdowns coming off the board in the first half, but even those were close calls.
[Reply]
scho63 11:15 PM 01-29-2023
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
I still don’t get the “no play” on 3rd down and if I were Cincy, I’d be frosty. And I think the holding on Humphrey that nullified the 2nd TD that became a FG was bogus. But it was not nearly as bad as a Cheffers game.
A ref came running over to shut down the play because the clock was accidentally still running when it shouldn't have and it was so loud no one hear him. They showed the ref running over. It was valid.
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:15 PM 01-29-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, I've tried to shove logic down that hole for too long.... it's just hilarious that so many here think it's all rigged against the Chiefs while fans of 31 other teams think it's all rigged for the Chiefs. :-)
There has never been a sports fan who thought their own team generally got the better end of the officiating.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 11:43 PM 01-29-2023
Ron did a fantastic job tonight, congrats refs!
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 05:34 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yeah, I've tried to shove logic down that hole for too long.... it's just hilarious that so many here think it's all rigged against the Chiefs while fans of 31 other teams think it's all rigged for the Chiefs. :-)
It's absolutely wild. If these plays happened against KC can you imagine the reaction? There would be ten threads about rigging if this game happens inverse how it did. Yet today not many posts claiming the league is rigged.

Amazing how that happens right. But you can believe it things go wrong in the sb they will be back. Hell they are already prepping for it with the cheffers thread.
[Reply]
PHOG 08:09 PM 01-30-2023
https://sports.yahoo.com/officials-g...012625530.html

The play that will irk Chiefs fans for a long time came in the second quarter. Mariota was sacked by Derrick Johnson and fumbled before he hit the ground. The Chiefs had a clear recovery. But the officials ruled that Mariota’s forward progress was stopped and the play was dead, even though that seemed to be a ridiculous ruling. Mariota was hardly moving forward when Johnson crushed him. Because the ruling was that forward progress was stopped, the play couldn’t be reviewed. The Titans kept possession and kicked a field goal on the next play, a huge difference in a one-point Chiefs loss.

:-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:12 PM 01-30-2023

[Reply]
TLO 08:12 PM 01-30-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Thank you!!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:14 PM 01-30-2023
:-)

[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:17 PM 01-30-2023
KFAN, Minneapolis....

Not quote but----2 commentators...If all you are gong to do is bitch about the refs, then quit watching the game. Bad calls have always happened, will always happen. It is not the refs that made the Bengals lose. They should have rushed everyone-not just four people.
Burrow should not have thrown the INT's or sacked as much as he was.

The Chiefs had a better game plan and played a better game.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:33 PM 01-30-2023
I thought Ron was very deserving of his accolades! See ya next year Torbie!

[Reply]
Page 9 of 9
« First < 56789
Up