ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's the SHORTEST prison sentence that would compel you to jump bail and flee?
One night - you can't cage this tiger. 6 12.50%
30 days - I've been wanting to start a new life anyway. 1 2.08%
90 days - I could rebuild the splendor of my life in three months, I think. 1 2.08%
6 months - I never really liked my name anyway. Might as well run. 1 2.08%
1 year - That's over 1 percent of the average life span. 5 10.42%
3 years - I'm too pretty to go to prison. 4 8.33%
5 years - That's longer than high school, and with more bullying. 4 8.33%
10 years - I can't miss the best years of my life. It's worth a try. 9 18.75%
20 years - Do you know how long 20 years is? It's longer than the Pioli era. 7 14.58%
30 years - They'll never take me alive. 2 4.17%
Life without parole - Might as well try. What is there to lose? 5 10.42%
Death penalty - Even if the last meal is great, it's not that great. I'll run. 3 6.25%
I would serve my sentence like a good citizen. Only cowards run. 0 0%
No need to run. I have enough money to bribe people. 0 0%
This reminds me. I need to dig another hole in my basement. 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>What length of prison sentence would make you saw off your ankle monitor and flee?
Rain Man 11:36 AM 03-28-2023
Hypothetical here, completely hypothetical.

Let's assume that you committed a crime and you were 99.5 percent certain that you were going to be convicted. Since you've never had so much as a traffic ticket prior to this issue, the judge decides that you can stay home with an ankle monitor while awaiting trial.

You can certainly opt to do the time since you did the crime. However, you look out your window and see the open road, and the only things between you and potential freedom is that device on your ankle and a likelihood that you'll be caught if you go to most places worth going to.

If you're facing a one-night jail sentence, you're probably not going to jump bail and flee. If you're facing the death sentence, it might be worth it to take a shot at building a new life somewhere else with a fake name and social security number. Somewhere in between lies the tipping point between staying and fleeing.

What's the SHORTEST sentence that you would face where you would decide to take your chances hopping on freight trains and working for cash with a floppy-brimmed hat over your face?

Poll coming as soon as the jury returns.

And if you would choose to flee, what would your plan be once you chew off your foot or otherwise remove the ankle bracelet?

Rules clarification:

1. The amounts in your poll are the actual time served. Don't assume that you'll get time off for good behavior to shorten it.
2. Of course, if you get caught fleeing you'll get additional charges and time as appropriate.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:52 AM 03-28-2023
I was torn between 10 and 20 years. I was about to say ten years, but the odds are that I'd be getting maybe 1 year of fleeing before I got caught, and that would then translate to 5 more years on my sentencing. That's not a good tradeoff at my age. So I would survive the ten years and move on.

20 years? I'm going to bolt. I'd probably go to some third world country that's relatively civilized, like Madagascar or maybe Cambodia.
[Reply]
digger 11:52 AM 03-28-2023

[Reply]
TLO 11:52 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
I put way more thought into this than I should have on a Tuesday work morning.

If I can go to a place to get it removed, obviously that would be my first choice and then flee.

For the sake of your question, I would cut it off. a few years ago I wouldn't have but now with the ability to work from home, do online scams, whatever from all over the globe, I'd simply go that route, and live modestly in some other country.
I think there's some confusion... you don't actually have to saw your ankle off. Just the monitor.
[Reply]
stanleychief 11:53 AM 03-28-2023
I would flee to Portland. With a cat.
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:55 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by digger:
You are not sawing your ankle off...
INSTRUCTIONS UNCLEAR!

:-)
[Reply]
digger 11:55 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
I would flee to Portland. With a cat.
I don't belieze you...
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:56 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Hank Hill:
I think there's some confusion... you don't actually have to saw your ankle off. Just the monitor.
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
INSTRUCTIONS UNCLEAR!

:-)

I may have been too flip with my question.

Just to confirm, let's assume that you have the ability to remove the monitor without removing the foot.

I bet this type of confusion is why we're facing long prison sentences to start with.
[Reply]
TLO 11:59 AM 03-28-2023
I've always thought it would be kind of fun to live in a railway car. So if I'm running, I think I'm hopping onto a moving train and seeing where it takes me.

(Would likely proceed to die trying to jump onto the moving train)
[Reply]
Zap Rowsdower 12:00 PM 03-28-2023
With all the face recognition technology that's here now and the more AI powered stuff that's coming, I feel I would probably get caught within six months so anything less than a life sentence I would just serve out the sentence.
[Reply]
Graystoke 12:04 PM 03-28-2023
At my age I am at the 3 year mark
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:05 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower:
With all the face recognition technology that's here now and the more AI powered stuff that's coming, I feel I would probably get caught within six months so anything less than a life sentence I would just serve out the sentence.
That's why you'd have to get out of the country...maybe to a nation on the eastern coast of Central America. Just a suggestion.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:05 PM 03-28-2023
Did anybody see the Yellowstone episode where they shot two Wolves and they realized then that they hade monitor collars on. They took the collars and strapped then around logs and tossed them in the river so it would look like the wolves were still traveling.

Which should bring us to a new poll. What do you do with said collar, dumpster or cargo ship, hot air balloon, someones trunk ?
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:05 PM 03-28-2023
Why couldn't I just pry off the ankle monitor?
[Reply]
bdj23 12:06 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Hank Hill:
I've always thought it would be kind of fun to live in a railway car. So if I'm running, I think I'm hopping onto a moving train and seeing where it takes me.

(Would likely proceed to die trying to jump onto the moving train)
There's some YouTube videos of dudes hopping train cars all over the rust belt from city to city. I thought about taking a week or two off and trying it when I was single but it's highly illegal and pretty dangerous.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:06 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Did anybody see the Yellowstone episode where they shot two Wolves and they realized then that they hade monitor collars on. They took the collars and strapped then around logs and tossed them in the river so it would look like the wolves were still traveling.
Where the hell you going to get a wolf in prison?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up