ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock (3/27)
Direckshun 07:40 AM 03-27-2023
Assumptions:

1. Prior to the draft, the Chiefs trade their 3rd round pick (96) and LB Willie Gay to the Cardinals for WR DeAndre Hopkins and a 2024 4th round pick.

2. The Chiefs trade RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire for a 6th round pick.

3. The CB Rashad Fenton 7th round pick does not qualify.

4. NFL Draft selections:
1.31. DT Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin
2.63. The Chiefs trade their 2024 3rd to move up to 2.49. DE Keion White, Georgia Tech
4.122. RB Kenny McIntosh, Georgia
4.134. S Brandon Joseph, Notre Dame
5.166. QB Jake Haener, Fresno State
6.178. LB Ivan Pace, Cincinnati
6.191 (Edwards-Helaire). LB Ventrell Miller, Florida
6.217. DE Jose Ramirez, Eastern Michigan
7.249. RB Xazavian Valladay, Arizona State
7.250. DT Jerrad Clark, Coastal Carolina
5. After the draft, the Chiefs sign WR Justin Watson, extend CB L'Jarius Sneed for 3 years, $42m.

The roster:

QB: Mahomes, Haener, Buechele
RB: Pacheco, McIntosh, Valladay
FB: some guy

WR: Hopkins, Toney, Valdez-Scantling, Moore, Watson, Ross
TE: Kelce, Gray, Bell, Fortson

LT: Wright, Thuney
LG: Thuney, Allegretti
C: Humphrey, Allegretti
RG: Smith, Kinnard
RT: Niang, Wanogho

DE: Omenihu, White, Ramirez
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Benton, Nnadi, Clark
DE: Karlaftis, Danna

WLB: Tranquill, Miller
MLB: Bolton, Pace
SLB: Chenal, Cochrane

CB: Sneed, McDuffie, Watson, Williams, Johnson
S: Reid, Edwards, Cook, Joseph

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:51 AM 03-27-2023
It just occurred to me the last week that if the Chiefs do what I suspect they'll do at WR, which is book Hopkins for some capital, and bring back Watson cheap... than this WR room doesn't look like it needs much more juice, unless there's great value.

Once I do that, I can be obsessed on the DL like I like to be. We all know that Veach likes to hyper-attack a position of weakness, and with Clark/Dunlap/Saunders out the door, this is an area they have to invest in.

Omenihu gets them a lot of the way there, but White completes the set. That gives you 4 DEs who can all play outside and rotate inside on passing downs. I hope they extend Jones, but Benton is a blue chip stuffer who can get up the field a lot better than you'd expect.

Trading Gay hurts, but we've suspected that as a possible move when the Chiefs almost certainly promised Tranquill with starter's snaps. The Chiefs take value at the LB position in this mock, and see if either of these guys have starter upside while Tranquill solidifies the Will. (Chenal can back up the Mike anyway.)

Joseph solidifies the safety position, Haener is a Grade A backup for Mahomes. I love McIntosh and have loved him all draft season as a McKinnon replacement. (I am currently assuming the Chiefs do not return him.) I actually think Pacheco becomes the next McKinnon anyway.

Probably the biggest weakness of this draft is the lack of upgrade at tackle, but I do like Niang with a fair degree of help for part of this season before he comes into his own. I think his injury history is worth monitoring, but I think he'll be full strength entering this season, and Wanogho would get lots of help if he had to start. Besides, we have Niang for another two seasons, and Veach tends to draft for next year's need, not a need two years down the road.

I think this team competes for a Super Bowl.

I worry about the 49ers and especially the Eagles, with another cheap year of Hurts and two picks in the 1st round. Other than that, there's no one I fear in the NFC. I worry about the Bengals some, but I know that's a ticking time bomb with Burrow and Chase's cap hit about to go off.

Mostly I worry about the Bills as an X factor -- if they land Hopkins or draft Bijan, with Von Miller returning for one more year or glory, they could be really sneaky. But if the Bills do normal boring Bills things and improve the trenches, I'm not super worried about them.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:01 AM 03-27-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
It just occurred to me the last week that if the Chiefs do what I suspect they'll do at WR, which is book Hopkins for some capital, and bring back Watson cheap... than this WR room doesn't look like it needs much more juice, unless there's great value.

Once I do that, I can be obsessed on the DL like I like to be. We all know that Veach likes to hyper-attack a position of weakness, and with Clark/Dunlap/Saunders out the door, this is an area they have to invest in.

Omenihu gets them a lot of the way there, but White completes the set. That gives you 4 DEs who can all play outside and rotate inside on passing downs. I hope they extend Jones, but Benton is a blue chip stuffer who can get up the field a lot better than you'd expect.

Trading Gay hurts, but we've suspected that as a possible move when the Chiefs almost certainly promised Tranquill with starter's snaps. The Chiefs take value at the LB position in this mock, and see if either of these guys have starter upside while Tranquill solidifies the Will. (Chenal can back up the Mike anyway.)

Joseph solidifies the safety position, Haener is a Grade A backup for Mahomes. I love McIntosh and have loved him all draft season as a McKinnon replacement. (I am currently assuming the Chiefs do not return him.) I actually think Pacheco becomes the next McKinnon anyway.

Probably the biggest weakness of this draft is the lack of upgrade at tackle, but I do like Niang with a fair degree of help for part of this season before he comes into his own. I think his injury history is worth monitoring, but I think he'll be full strength entering this season, and Wanogho would get lots of help if he had to start. Besides, we have Niang for another two seasons, and Veach tends to draft for next year's need, not a need two years down the road.

I think this team competes for a Super Bowl.

I worry about the 49ers and especially the Eagles, with another cheap year of Hurts and two picks in the 1st round. Other than that, there's no one I fear in the NFC. I worry about the Bengals some, but I know that's a ticking time bomb with Burrow and Chase's cap hit about to go off.

Mostly I worry about the Bills as an X factor -- if they land Hopkins or draft Bijan, with Von Miller returning for one more year or glory, they could be really sneaky. But if the Bills do normal boring Bills things and improve the trenches, I'm not super worried about them.
1-is not going to happen.

Benton's a round early for any mock I've seen.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:50 AM 03-27-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
1-is not going to happen.

Benton's a round early for any mock I've seen.
If I showed you a hyper-reputable mock that disagrees would you change your discussion to literally anything besides “that pick is slotted wrong”?
[Reply]
LoneWolf 08:52 AM 03-27-2023
I would be super pissed off if this is how the rest of the offseason and draft went. Benton in the 1st is at least a round early. Not a fucking chance I'd give up a 3rd round pick and Gay for Hopkins. I'm fine with the 3rd round pick, but adding Gay to the deal is too much. I don't understand the need for a QB in the 5th round. I don't understand the need to draft 2 running backs.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:05 AM 03-27-2023
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
I would be super pissed off if this is how the rest of the offseason and draft went.
Now this is an analysis I can sink my teeth into. Have some rep.

Benton in the 1st is at least a round early.
Disagree.

Not a ****ing chance I'd give up a 3rd round pick and Gay for Hopkins. I'm fine with the 3rd round pick, but adding Gay to the deal is too much.
That's fair, but I think the Chiefs may be calculating that Tranquill is a better fit at Will than Gay. And hey, if they brought in a guy who maybe fits better, before letting Gay walk for nothing, why not use him now to net you a a WR the Chiefs are thirsty for?

I don't understand the need for a QB in the 5th round.
The Chiefs have a need at backup QB, and Haefner is a great fit.

I don't understand the need to draft 2 running backs.
If the Chiefs trade CEH, they have 1 playable RB on the roster.
[Reply]
O.city 09:10 AM 03-27-2023
Why would you sign Gay's replacement for 1 year though?

I don't think they end up keeping Gay, but I also wouldn't trade him this year. Ride it out, take your comp pick.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:16 AM 03-27-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Why would you sign Gay's replacement for 1 year though?

I don't think they end up keeping Gay, but I also wouldn't trade him this year. Ride it out, take your comp pick.
We already have Gay under contract for a year anyway, so I don't think it would affect my plans very much.

At the end of the day, we lured a starting LB away from 4-5 other teams.

We likely didn't lure him away so he could come here and take reserve snaps.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:18 AM 03-27-2023
We already have Gay under contract for a year anyway, so I don't think it would affect my plans very much.

At the end of the day, we lured a starting LB away from 4-5 other teams.

We likely didn't lure him away so he could come here and take reserve snaps.
And he won't be. You can start him at WLB in the base set and he'll be in nickel and dime for sure.
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 03-27-2023
It's possible.

Although I'm not sure what kind of value he'd have for the Cardinals as he wouldn't wanna sign a LTD at that point.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:15 AM 03-27-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And he won't be. You can start him at WLB in the base set and he'll be in nickel and dime for sure.
Willie is your Will now.

Bolton is your Mike. Chenal is your Sam.

If you're starting Tranquill at Will, there's nowhere for Willie to go except the bench (or Arizona).
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:28 AM 03-27-2023
Willie is your Will now.

Bolton is your Mike. Chenal is your Sam.

If you're starting Tranquill at Will, there's nowhere for Willie to go except the bench (or Arizona).
Or SAM...

But I'm not opposed to the idea of using Gay as trade collateral here. I like him a lot as a player but I don't see him as a re-sign... and Tranquill makes him a bit more expendable.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:49 PM 03-27-2023
Good work! Somewhat unique, I like it!

Here's some thoughts:

-I've been worrying myself that maybe Gay or Sneed end up as part of a pkg, I hope not, but I really want Hopkins too!

-Trade CEH where? lol I'd like to move him too, but I'm not sure where he'd fit. Can we please send him and 3rd for D-Hop? lol

-I agree that if WE want Benton that we're going to have to take him in the 1st or trade up in the 2nd. Some might say those names should be swapped, but there are only 4 top tier NT types in this year's draft (Carter, Breese, Smith, Benton) so it could play out the way OP mocked IMO.

-Tough not having a OL or WR anywhere in the draft, but I understand your arguments against.

-Nice finish with Jerod Clark!

-It's my hope that Tranquill gives us more versatility, not makes Gay expendable.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:20 AM 03-28-2023
If I showed you a hyper-reputable mock that disagrees would you change your discussion to literally anything besides “that pick is slotted wrong”?
Let me try again-

I like the player, but that's at least a round too early.

If you're not posting for honest criticism, what is your point, exactly?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:42 AM 03-28-2023
I think the scenario where you trade up in the second and use your first on DL and end up with Benton and Keion White is a reasonable/realistic one. I just would swap the players (White at 31, Benton at 52).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up