ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should Single Men Own Cat(s)?
BEAVER 12:01 PM 03-24-2023
This topic came up at the bar last night.

My take - Single guy owning a cat = Beta and should not happen.

There are some extenuating circumstances by which one might end up with a cat. Dead Wife, Girlfriend, Mom, Sister.

But if a single guy actually makes the effort to get a cat as a pet? Unacceptable.

I knew the final word could be found here on CP. This place is a bastion of what is right.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 02:54 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
They've been in the area for a while.
It was in the mid 90's (94-95 I think) when I was returning from Grand Lake and saw a road kill mountain lion laying on the side of the road just north of Vinita, OK. Then in the early 2000's I was road testing some antennas just north of Altoona, KS when one crossed Highway 75 right behind my car. It walked out to the middle of the road, looked both ways then sauntered off into the woods. I've seen deer crossing in the exact same spot several times so I assumed it was following their trail.
Yeah, with my wife supposedly seeing a mountain lion so close to our house, I guess I'll start taking my Glock with me when I let my dogs outside after dark. I've already killed two coyotes this year that were prowling the creek just across the street from our house. They killed one of our neighbors Schnauzers which has all the Karen's in the neighborhood all up in arms about "what are we going to do about the coyotes" and "I don't feel safe letting my kids play outside." We had an HOA meeting and you would have thought the coyote purge had been approved and we were living in the coyote apocoloypse. My neighbor who is an officer with ICE told them we would have a few night shoots with infrared to kill off a few of them, but it won't do much. The coyotes will just have more puppies to make up for the losses.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 03:05 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
Yeah, with my wife supposedly seeing a mountain lion so close to our house, I guess I'll start taking my Glock with me when I let my dogs outside after dark. I've already killed two coyotes this year that were prowling the creek just across the street from our house. They killed one of our neighbors Schnauzers which has all the Karen's in the neighborhood all up in arms about "what are we going to do about the coyotes" and "I don't feel safe letting my kids play outside." We had an HOA meeting and you would have thought the coyote purge had been approved and we were living in the coyote apocoloypse. My neighbor who is an officer with ICE told them we would have a few night shoots with infrared to kill off a few of them, but it won't do much. The coyotes will just have more puppies to make up for the losses.
Coyote-pocoloypse. :-)
Keeping a Glock handy sounds like a good plan though.
[Reply]
luv 03:24 PM 03-28-2023
There's no telling where I'm interjecting at in this conversation, but my two cents about single guys owning cats:

Most guys I know who aren't "cat people" are not so because they're the type of people who need the instant gratification that a dog provides. That said, guys who are cat people tend to lean towards the weird side. Nothing wrong with having a cat. They're cool as hell, and they're super easy to take care of, especially if you live in an apartment. But, if you're the type of person who is constantly posting pictures of your cat(s), then....something's just wrong.

I'm Facebook friends with a guy who was my older brother's friend when he was in high school, and I always had a crush on him. Now, he's a 50 year old man with a Lego collection, Star Wars collection, does cosplay, and posts about his two babies (black cats) all the time. He constantly complains about being alone or in the friend zone. I feel like I dodged a bullet there...lol.
[Reply]
chinaski 08:55 PM 03-28-2023
Nobody owns a cat, they own YOU. :-)
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:59 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
We got yotes in the suburbs. I think they're becoming completely acclimated to seeing people. Last week a toddler was grabbed by a yote in broad daylight near Scottsdale of all places. Fortunately the dad was near and chased the thing off and the kid survived with some minor injuries.

In my neighborhood last year, a couple yotes apparently were stalking some young kids (11-13?), near sunset. They ran up to the door of my neighbor across the street, who works nights so he was home and awake, so he let them in. A couple minutes later, two yotes appeared on his driveway. He's not an outdoors/wildlife person, so he asked me what would be a good deterrent. I told him a fire extinguisher; all the noise and white stuff flying out of it would probably spook them off. And of course have a gun handy in case that doesn't work.
Biggest Coyote I've ever seen was in broad daylight in the middle of my neighborhood when I lived in Gilbert (Cooper and Elliot area). I was out pushing the stroller that my then 1 (now 11 year old) was in and this thing came strolling up the street in the other direction. Thought it was a wolf even though I knew better. Couldn't believe how big he was. Didn't pay us any attention but definitely cancelled any idea of letting my 1 year old have a picnic by himself in the park!
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:02 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
They've been in the area for a while.
It was in the mid 90's (94-95 I think) when I was returning from Grand Lake and saw a road kill mountain lion laying on the side of the road just north of Vinita, OK. Then in the early 2000's I was road testing some antennas just north of Altoona, KS when one crossed Highway 75 right behind my car. It walked out to the middle of the road, looked both ways then sauntered off into the woods. I've seen deer crossing in the exact same spot several times so I assumed it was following their trail.
Could've sworn I saw road kill mountain lion a couple of weeks ago driving back from Iowa. It was definitely some sort of big cat. Could've been a bobcat I guess? I wanted to double back but the Mrs didn't give a shit about "some dead animal" on the side of the road so that was that.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:03 PM 03-28-2023
Men shouldn't give a fuck about others opinions do as you like
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:09 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Biggest Coyote I've ever seen was in broad daylight in the middle of my neighborhood when I lived in Gilbert (Cooper and Elliot area). I was out pushing the stroller that my then 1 (now 11 year old) was in and this thing came strolling up the street in the other direction. Thought it was a wolf even though I knew better. Couldn't believe how big he was. Didn't pay us any attention but definitely cancelled any idea of letting my 1 year old have a picnic by himself in the park!
As you probably know, AZ reintroduced Mexican wolves awhile back, but those were all up in the White Mtns area, so doubt you saw one of those. Coyotes and wolves can interbreed though. Hybrids between timber wolves and yotes up in the Nova Scotia area are the only documented case of coyotes killing a person. Things are apparently 80+ pounds.

Other new thing is that yotes here travel and hunt in packs, which allows them to take down prey much larger than themselves. Part of the reason I've recently switched from a .357 revolver to a S&W M&P10 as a woods gun. A pack of hybrids might require more than 6 rounds to convince them I wasn't on the menu.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:14 PM 03-28-2023
Sightings in Kansas are becoming quite common. My wife swears that she had a mountain lion run across the road about 1/4 mile from our house. There's a heavily wooded creek in the area and a ton of deer, but I don't trust her eyes enough that I believe her 100%.
I wouldn't trust a women who is driving to know anything. Shit, they can barely drive let alone focus on a second task! She probably saw a fucking squirrel!
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:15 PM 03-28-2023
As you probably know, AZ reintroduced Mexican wolves awhile back, but those were all up in the White Mtns area, so doubt you saw one of those. Coyotes and wolves can interbreed though. Hybrids between timber wolves and yotes up in the Nova Scotia area are the only documented case of coyotes killing a person. Things are apparently 80+ pounds.

Other new thing is that yotes here travel and hunt in packs, which allows them to take down prey much larger than themselves. Part of the reason I've recently switched from a .357 revolver to a S&W M&P10 as a woods gun. A pack of hybrids might require more than 6 rounds to convince them I wasn't on the menu.
The one I saw was about the size of a Grey so I knew it wasn't a Mexican (wolf so no one gets offended. lol). I think this old boy just had gotten fat eating roof rats and ducks from the Riparian Preserve or something
[Reply]
Why Not? 09:15 PM 03-28-2023
:-)
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I wouldn't trust a women who is driving to know anything. Shit, they can barely drive let alone focus on a second task! She probably saw a ****ing squirrel!

[Reply]
Megatron96 09:19 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
The one I saw was about the size of a Grey so I knew it wasn't a Mexican (wolf so no one gets offended. lol). I think this old boy just had gotten fat eating roof rats and ducks from the Riparian Preserve or something
I've seen Reds twice; once on the Rim near Chevelon Canyon and once in the Whites near Pacheta Lake. The pack near Chevy was from pretty close, maybe a couple dozen yards, but we were in a canoe. They just sat there waiting for us to be dumb enough to land on the beach. We opted to try finding a camp spot on the other side of the lake. Big bastards. And not spooky about people. At least that time.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 06:40 AM 03-29-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I wouldn't trust a women who is driving to know anything. Shit, they can barely drive let alone focus on a second task! She probably saw a fucking squirrel!
That was exactly my first comment when she told me what she thought she saw. I even pulled up a picture of a bobcat to show her as I have seen a bobcat in the area I deer hunt which is only 2 miles away. She swears it was a mountain lion and she occasionally has sex with me so I didn't feel the need to push the issue any further.
[Reply]
Why Not? 06:41 AM 03-29-2023
I've seen Reds twice; once on the Rim near Chevelon Canyon and once in the Whites near Pacheta Lake. The pack near Chevy was from pretty close, maybe a couple dozen yards, but we were in a canoe. They just sat there waiting for us to be dumb enough to land on the beach. We opted to try finding a camp spot on the other side of the lake. Big bastards. And not spooky about people. At least that time.
That's cool. I'd love to see some of any kind in the wild. But yes, keeping distance is a good move.
[Reply]
Skyy God 07:00 AM 03-29-2023
That was exactly my first comment when she told me what she thought she saw. I even pulled up a picture of a bobcat to show her as I have seen a bobcat in the area I deer hunt which is only 2 miles away. She swears it was a mountain lion and she occasionally has sex with me so I didn't feel the need to push the issue any further.
Occasional sex?

They should put that on a billboard promoting marriage.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Up