ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock 3/19/23
kccrow 08:47 PM 03-19-2023
Chiefs will likely make a few more signings in FA, we'll see.
I'd guess WR, DT, vet swing OT, and let's wager they bring back RB Jerick McKinnon.
So, let's call it DT Armon Watts (CHI), WR Jalen Guyton (LAC), OT Josh Wells (TB), RB Jerick McKinnon.
All should be modest/minimum deals.

2023 Mock Draft

1.031 - NT Mazi Smith, Michigan (6'3" 337)
2.063 - WR Tyler Scott, Cincinnati (5'10" 177)
3.095 - ER Isaiah McGuire, Missouri (6'4" 268)
4.122 - OT Wanya Morris, Oklahoma (6'5" 307)
4.134 - ER Tavius Robinson, Mississippi (6'5' 257)
5-166 - FS Anthony Johnson Jr., Iowa State (6'0" 205)
6-178 - CB Darrell Luter, South Alabama (6'0" 189)
6-217 - DT Dante Stills, West Virginia (6'4" 286)
7-249 - RB Deneric Prince, Tulsa (6'0" 216)
7-250 - OT Earl Bostick Jr., Kansas (6'6" 309)

Chiefs Depth/Roster Chart

QB P. Mahomes II, S. Buechele
RB I. Pacheco, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. McKinnon, D. Prince
WR K. Toney, M. Valdez-Scantling, S. Moore, T. Scott, J. Ross, J. Guyton
TE T. Kelce, Gray, J. Fortson, M. Bushman
OT J. Taylor, L. Niang, W. Morris, J. Wells, P. Tega-Wanogho, E. Bostick Jr.
IL J. Thuney, C. Humphrey, T. Smith, N. Allegretti, D. Kinnard

DE G. Karlaftis, C. Omenihu, M. Danna, I. McGuire, T. Robinson, J. Kaindoh
DT C. Jones, M. Smith, T. Wharton, A. Watts, D. Shelton, D. Stills
LB N. Bolton, W. Gay, D. Tranquill, L. Chenal, J. Cochrane
CB L. Sneed, T. McDuffie, J. Watson, J. Williams, D. Luter
DB J. Reid, M. Edwards, B. Cook, N. Johnson, A. Johnson Jr.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:59 PM 03-19-2023
I fuck with any mock that gives us Mazi Smith
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:01 PM 03-19-2023
I'm seeing your first three guys like two rounds lower. I don't know, I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, but it doesn't seem like anybody has any fucking idea what's going on with this draft.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:10 PM 03-19-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'm seeing your first three guys like two rounds lower. I don't know, I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, but it doesn't seem like anybody has any fucking idea what's going on with this draft.
You're not wrong, they are all over the map this year. It's worse than last year by far. I'm going by some things I'm reading and hearing so we'll see where it all ends up. For example, do I think Mazi is getting by PIT at 33? Not especially. Will he get by them at 49? Absolutely not. So he's a top 50 guy I think. You don't meet with a kid 3 times and not think highly of him.

At the end of the day, it comes down to whether or not you like that guy in that area. Do I feel like Mazi is a tad bit of a reach at 31? Yeah. Can we move up from 63 to get him? No. So, either I like him or I don't at 31. I like him more than I don't. We need a NT. He's grown on me alot. I think the athlete is much better than Benton but Benton is the better player right now. This is more like a "Fuck it, Dontari Poe" moment than it is just going by the absolute best player.

Now, McGuire, I think he's really underrated. He's got the size, length, production, athletic traits... he needs some more rush tools but he's a good player. He's not a 5th round guy, no way. He's a solid 3rd type with what he is. He's not a super traits guy but he's just a sound player. He's like Bolton was coming out. Good but no flash.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:00 PM 03-19-2023
I've been saying for a while now that Mazi Smith feels like a Chief to me and I've got a feeling he's the pick.

Lots of ER in this draft, can find a RT outside the first, W. Morris is a favorite target of mine.

Scott would be solid, wondering if we could get Diaby with one of the ER picks.

Really like this one, tell us about some of your mid-late picks.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:45 AM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I've been saying for a while now that Mazi Smith feels like a Chief to me and I've got a feeling he's the pick.

Lots of ER in this draft, can find a RT outside the first, W. Morris is a favorite target of mine.

Scott would be solid, wondering if we could get Diaby with one of the ER picks.

Really like this one, tell us about some of your mid-late picks.
Mazi Smith feels more and more like the type of guy the Chiefs should take at 31. We're pretty damned thin at DT right now. Unless Veach wows us yet in FA or with a trade, it's a major need.

On YaYa Diaby, I went back and forth between him and McGuire really. I just like McGuire alot more as a football player at the end of the day. His athletic profile leads me to believe getting him in the 5th might be a stretch but maybe in the 4th. He needs a bit of work as an edge to see him in the 3rd.

Here's the basics on the later guys IMO...

S Anthony Johnson, Jr
Played CB at Iowa State until 2022 when they moved him to S to give them a better captain of the defense and get guys lined up properly. He split most of his time between the box and slot in 2022. He's a guy that can play man or zone. Basically, a bit bigger than Sneed but also a tad bit slower (4.54 guy). Very agile guy, with good hips and fluid transfer (big key for me with DBs). Comes downhill and hits. Varying reports and rankings on this kid. Some have him in the 6th, some have him in the 3rd. I don't know where he'll end up honestly. Thought about flipping him with Robinson for the mock but forgot. I think he can play any of the roles between NB, FS, and SS honestly.

CB Darrell Luter, Jr.
Seems to be the type of CB the Chiefs have gone with over the years. A long press guy that will get physical. Not terrible from a fluid perspective but not a guy that's going to wow you in that department. His top end and arm length help keep things close even if he loses a step at the transition point. Love his ball skills and he's got insanely large mitts (10-5/8"). He had 4 INTs in 2021. I think NFL.com compared him to Christian Benford but Benford was big on my radar last year this guy doesn't have those ball skills but I think otherwise the player is pretty similar.

DT Dante Stills
Stills is just a pocket menace. He's not big at 6'3-1/2" 286 but he's insanely quick off the ball and has outstanding next gear to close. He played all over West Virginia's front so he's multiple and that's a big Spags thing. He could slip out to DE or rotate at the 3. He's a perfect fit for our 1-gap scheme where he can just penetrate and disrupt. His father was our very own Gary Stills so the connection is there for sure. This is a guy that could gain 10 pounds pretty easily I'd think and fit best as a permanent fixture at the 3. He had 53 TFL and 24.5 sacks in college. Twice went for 14+ and 7+ in those categories respectively. For all the talk of Calijah Kancey, this guy is very nearly the same dude and gets little of the same recognition. Major, major sleeper.

RB Deneric Prince
Low mileage RB with a good YPC (5.5) for his career. Definitely, a size/speed (6'0" 216, 4.41) craps shoot here. He needs to run with power all the time but I think being in a room with Pacheco could unlock the inner demon. When he hits it with authority he looks a lot like Pacheco, honestly. He's a guy that could just as well be a UDFA but I'm just taking a crack at him here. If any team can unlock him, I think it's KC. Might would end up on the PS.

OT Earl Bostic, Jr.
Just a really long (34-1/8" arms at 6'6" 309), athletic LT specimen that's poor as a run blocker and needs to gain NFL strength. He's one of those guys you stash away in the weight room for a year or two and then you might have something really good. His athletic comp is Jammal Brown who was outstanding when he came out of Oklahoma. Unfortunately, the hip injury he had in his 4th season pretty well derailed his career. This is the kind of kid you pay OL coaches for because he has absolutely elite physical traits.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:26 AM 03-20-2023
ESPN has Breese AND Benton ahead of Mazi, thoughts on taking one of them in place of Mazi if all 3 are available at #31?

I think Mazi's the guy, his size and athleticism are impressive.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:29 AM 03-20-2023
1st - DT Mazi Smith
2nd - DE Foskey/Adebawore/Tuipolutu/Carter [Trade Up w/ CEH]
3rd - [WR Hopkins]
4th - OT Wayna Morris/Zion Nelson
4th - WR Jonathan Mingo
5th - OL Braeden Daniels/Luke Haggard
+
Jerrick McKinnon
^
Let's Go!
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03-20-2023, 06:30 AM
This message has been deleted by Couch-Potato. Reason: duplicate
kccrow 06:45 AM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
ESPN has Breese AND Benton ahead of Mazi, thoughts on taking one of them in place of Mazi if all 3 are available at #31?

I think Mazi's the guy, his size and athleticism are impressive.
I'm not a fan of Breese at all so no. I wouldn't draft Breese for my team. To each their own on that one.

I did say somewhere that I think Benton is the better player right now but the allure with Mazi really is that he's kind of the "fuck it, Dontari Poe" type of pick because he's an animal. Mazi needs a lot more refinement but you can't teach the physical traits or the work ethic in the weight room. His dedication reminds me of Brandon Williams, and if he can become that type of beast then you have a decade's worth of dominant NT play. Benton would be a fine player no doubt, but it takes a special something to take a DT in round 1. That burst Mazi flashes and that brute strength is special. I was pretty ho-hum about him at first but he's grown on me a lot more than I thought he would. Also, not going after a DT in FA has me concerned.
[Reply]
O.city 07:01 AM 03-20-2023
Mazi didn't test as well as I'd hoped. I'm a bit worried about taking a pure NT type guy that early when they can usually be had later.

He needs to offer alot of upside as a rusher etc for me to really wanna invest a first.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:42 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Mazi didn't test as well as I'd hoped. I'm a bit worried about taking a pure NT type guy that early when they can usually be had later.

He needs to offer alot of upside as a rusher etc for me to really wanna invest a first.
This was the quote of the century straight from Mazi after his Pro Day

Originally Posted by :
“You start training like a track star as a big fella, it starts getting hard on you a little bit,” Smith said. “I’m good at football, man. I ain’t no 100-meter sprinter.
Major respect. He's 100% correct. He had a 29.5" vertical, which was the same as Benton and would have tied for 5th at the combine. 34 bench reps at the combine tied for 2nd. I don't think he tested bad at all. From all reports, he was great in position drills.

You're right, I also normally reserve the 1st round for pass-rush types. Watching him though, he gets alot of pressure on the QB.

After digging some to confirm my eyeballs, I found this little nugget (yeah yeah, PFF, we know lol)

Originally Posted by :
In 2022, among all qualifying Power-5 interior defensive linemen, Smith T-4th in run stops (27) and finished 7th in run stop percentage (11.6 percent). Further, his 81.3 run-defense grade was the 10th best among the same population. Lastly, his 4.5 missed tackle rate finished in the top-25 percent at the position (one of 21 interior defenders to miss less than 5.0 percent of run play tackles in 2022).

Smith also flashed some pass-rushing ability, finishing in top 30 at the position in total quarterback pressures (25) and top-50 in pass-rush win rate (11.4 percent). His sack totals were nothing special with just two to speak of over 680 career pass-rush snaps, but with coaching and his innate athleticism, he has the potential to convert more of the pressures to sacks at the next level.
In terms of guys that I think have a shot at being around 31, I've settled in on my top 3:

NT Mazi Smith
DE Isaiah Foskey
OT Darnell Wright

And I think you have to move up a little for Wright.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 02:58 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Chiefs will likely make a few more signings in FA, we'll see.
I'd guess WR, DT, vet swing OT, and let's wager they bring back RB Jerick McKinnon.
So, let's call it DT Armon Watts (CHI), WR Jalen Guyton (LAC), OT Josh Wells (TB), RB Jerick McKinnon.
All should be modest/minimum deals.

2023 Mock Draft

1.031 - NT Mazi Smith, Michigan (6'3" 337)
2.063 - WR Tyler Scott, Cincinnati (5'10" 177)
3.095 - ER Isaiah McGuire, Missouri (6'4" 268)
4.122 - OT Wanya Morris, Oklahoma (6'5" 307)
4.134 - ER Tavius Robinson, Mississippi (6'5' 257)
5-166 - FS Anthony Johnson Jr., Iowa State (6'0" 205)
6-178 - CB Darrell Luter, South Alabama (6'0" 189)
6-217 - DT Dante Stills, West Virginia (6'4" 286)
7-249 - RB Deneric Prince, Tulsa (6'0" 216)
7-250 - OT Earl Bostick Jr., Kansas (6'6" 309)

Chiefs Depth/Roster Chart

QB P. Mahomes II, S. Buechele
RB I. Pacheco, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. McKinnon, D. Prince
WR K. Toney, M. Valdez-Scantling, S. Moore, T. Scott, J. Ross, J. Guyton
TE T. Kelce, Gray, J. Fortson, M. Bushman
OT J. Taylor, L. Niang, W. Morris, J. Wells, P. Tega-Wanogho, E. Bostick Jr.
IL J. Thuney, C. Humphrey, T. Smith, N. Allegretti, D. Kinnard

DE G. Karlaftis, C. Omenihu, M. Danna, I. McGuire, T. Robinson, J. Kaindoh
DT C. Jones, M. Smith, T. Wharton, A. Watts, D. Shelton, D. Stills
LB N. Bolton, W. Gay, D. Tranquill, L. Chenal, J. Cochrane
CB L. Sneed, T. McDuffie, J. Watson, J. Williams, D. Luter
DB J. Reid, M. Edwards, B. Cook, N. Johnson, A. Johnson Jr.
Very solid! I like the FAs as well. Would be very happy with this.

Im not sold on Scott in the second. I would prefer guys like Palmer or Perry. If you think one of those could be had in the 3rd then I would take an Edge in 2 and one of the WRs in 3.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:04 PM 03-20-2023
I like your list, I'm down to 5 I think...

RB B. Robinson
OT A. Harrison
DE I. Foskey
DT M. Smith
WR J. Hyatt
[Reply]
Titty Meat 07:59 PM 03-20-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
This was the quote of the century straight from Mazi after his Pro Day

Major respect. He's 100% correct. He had a 29.5" vertical, which was the same as Benton and would have tied for 5th at the combine. 34 bench reps at the combine tied for 2nd. I don't think he tested bad at all. From all reports, he was great in position drills.

You're right, I also normally reserve the 1st round for pass-rush types. Watching him though, he gets alot of pressure on the QB.

After digging some to confirm my eyeballs, I found this little nugget (yeah yeah, PFF, we know lol)

In terms of guys that I think have a shot at being around 31, I've settled in on my top 3:

NT Mazi Smith
DE Isaiah Foskey
OT Darnell Wright

And I think you have to move up a little for Wright.
O.City wants to draft like AL Davis he would have drafted Fabian Washington in the first round too
[Reply]
Palangi 08:11 PM 03-20-2023
Crow, what is your thoughts on Gervon Dexter? I think he is very intriguing. Pairing him with jones would give us a lot of size and length. Would be reminiscent of when Jacksonville had Stroud and Henderson. I also think Dexter has a high ceiling still and can still grow and develop as a pass rusher.

1. Jalyn Hyatt WR
2. Gervon Dexter DT
3. Yaya Diaby DE
4. Carter Warren OT

Or

1. Darnell Wright RT
2. Gervon Dexter DT
3. Andre Carter DE
4. Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR

Or

1. Felix Aniduke-Uzama DE
2. Gervon Dexter DT