ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Quintin Johnston is dropping like a rock
Mecca 12:55 PM 03-09-2023
All of the expert guys have moved him down..Daniel Jeremiah dropped him to 29th.

Whats up with that?
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:06 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
All of the expert guys have moved him down..Daniel Jeremiah dropped him to 29th.

Whats up with that?
Huge drop rate, just like Boutte
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:06 PM 03-09-2023
I've been wondering why he was seen as the consensus #1.

Acknowledging my 'I don't care for large WRs bias' - we're gonna see people try to call him Drake London and I just don't see it. And frankly, I think the B12 WR thing is legit. Too many high powered passing offenses in the B12 simply don't ask their guys to run real route trees and the way Johnston got used at TCU just won't work that well in the NFL.

That said - if he's there at 28 I'm moving up to get him. I'd have faith in Reid putting that kind of size/speed combo to use by that point.

But as to why he's probably falling? He didn't run. Media types need something to talk about. I'm betting on most team's boards he's not moved at all and won't UNLESS he runs like shit at a pro day (or doesn't run at all).

But the combine just finished, Johnston didn't take part in a WRs key drill, and the talking heads are 'punishing' him for it.
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:10 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Acknowledging my 'I don't care for large WRs bias' - we're gonna see people try to call him Drake London and I just don't see it. And frankly, I think the B12 WR thing is legit. Too many high powered passing offenses in the B12 simply don't ask their guys to run real route trees and the way Johnston got used at TCU just won't work that well in the NFL.

That said - if he's there at 28 I'm moving up to get him. I'd have faith in Reid putting that kind of size/speed combo to use by that point.

But as to why he's probably falling? He didn't run. Media types need something to talk about. I'm betting on most team's boards he's not moved at all and won't UNLESS he runs like shit at a pro day (or doesn't run at all).

But the combine just finished, Johnston didn't take part in a WRs key drill, and the talking heads are 'punishing' him for it.
That really is an excellent point. Unless someone gets hurt or arrested between now and the draft or they have a flat awful pro day the only draft boards they move around on are the people who don't draft anyone.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:11 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

He's actually not that big....he measured in at just over 6'2.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:15 PM 03-09-2023
This news just inflates my ego. Because after i watched him a couple of times i couldn't figure out why people were regarding him as this years top receiver.

Welp, there goes my edgy drop i was planning on for my eventual WR rankings.

I think he's another 2nd round guy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:16 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He's actually not that big....he measured in at just over 6'2.
Oh wow - that's interesting.

Going into the draft there was talk of his listed 6'3" maybe even being 6'4" in reality.

Now THAT may actually mean something on team's boards.

Now, when you consider the offense he ran, doesn't he look more like Alec Pierce than Drake London?

Eh - if he goes out there and puts up a 4.40 or better (and I think he will, pretty easily) at his pro day, he'll go right back to WR1.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:17 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This news just inflates my ego. Because after i watched him a couple of times i couldn't figure out why people were regarding him as this years top receiver.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!
[Reply]
kccrow 01:28 PM 03-09-2023
I dunno, McShay had him at 14. Depends on who you're looking at.

I think he's the definite top prospect. If I were an NFL GM, I don't think I'd need to see him run a 40. He knocked the drills out of the park at the Combine and he's got speed that's easy to see. Probably a 4.45-4.53 guy, somewhere in there. He's about 6'3" 208 and has a 41" vertical. He's got good agility and acceleration. That's pretty good enough.

The furthest I see him dropping is to 18. Unless he crashes and burns at the TCU pro day at the end of the month, I don't think he moves much for NFL teams.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:32 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

2nd round? I doubt that.

If he's in the range for Veach to go get him and LT isn't the enormous hole it is now, I'd hope he does.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:36 PM 03-09-2023
I just think it's easier to replicate much or all of what Q does than, say, high quality speedsters.

What's he good at, going up and getting a ball? Xavier Hutchinson can do that and I can grab him in the 2nd or 3rd. Maybe he's not Q, but maybe he's 95% as good as Q?

I think, as the league has changed, the need for slower WRs who can go win jump balls just isn't as valuable as speedier guys who can blow the league wide open.

I'm not a fan of Q. I'd like the Chiefs to pass on him if he drops. I want them to get dynamic Z receivers who can stretch the field.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:57 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I just think it's easier to replicate much or all of what Q does than, say, high quality speedsters.

What's he good at, going up and getting a ball? Xavier Hutchinson can do that and I can grab him in the 2nd or 3rd. Maybe he's not Q, but maybe he's 95% as good as Q?

I think, as the league has changed, the need for slower WRs who can go win jump balls just isn't as valuable as speedier guys who can blow the league wide open.

I'm not a fan of Q. I'd like the Chiefs to pass on him if he drops. I want them to get dynamic Z receivers who can stretch the field.
He looks faster and a lot more agile than Hutchinson to me but you do have a point on value for sure, which is why some teams pretty well never take 1st round receivers.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:04 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
2nd round? I doubt that.

If he's in the range for Veach to go get him and LT isn't the enormous hole it is now, I'd hope he does.
I'm not saying he goes in the 2nd, i'm saying he's a 2nd round talent.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:08 PM 03-09-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
What's he good at, going up and getting a ball?
Except he's not really good at that. That's not actually his game. When you watch the "vs" stuff (aka, not just career highlights) he loses on jump balls/contested catches much more than you'd like to see for a guy his size.

And i'm not so sure about his speed either. Some of these clips man, he's got a real freakin' slow release. He looks like a 4.5 guy to me. And there's questions about his physicality and ability to beat press.

I think there's enough questions about him that i wouldn't feel good taking him in the 1st 20 picks.
[Reply]
Shoes 02:14 PM 03-09-2023
I wrote this about Quentin Johnston a while ago:

Quentin Johnston- The more I watch Quentin Johnston, the less I like him. For such a gifted athlete, he leaves a lot to be desired. At times he looks like an unstoppable force at the receiver position, other times he leaves me wanting more. He has the size, he has the speed, and he has the quickness. I don't want to make the same DK Metcalf mistake though, I think Johnston is going to be a really good football player but I don't know if he has the ball skills and route running ability to be elite in the NFL.

What good is a 40.5'' vertical if you don't have an ability to high point the ball? He is a tantalizing prospect. A bit of a unicorn in this draft class since there isn't a lot of size in this class, and he is one of the larger receivers who has the ability to run and change directions well. Helluva athlete but there are some major ball skill concerns.

He's the best X/Z receiver in the draft in my opinion but he isn't a slam dunk prospect.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up