ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 21
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers
Eleazar 12:54 PM 03-07-2023
Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers, sources say

The New York Jets have had conversations with the Green Bay Packers and with quarterback Aaron Rodgers this week regarding a potential trade of the four-time MVP to the Jets, according to sources.

The sources said some of those conversations were expected to take place Tuesday, but that it's unclear as of Tuesday morning whether they will result in a trade.

Rodgers still has not made any announcements about what he intends to do this season. It's still possible he decides to retire, or to stay in Green Bay. But if he still wants to play and he and the Packers agree it's time for him to play somewhere else, the Jets appear to be a realistic option.

If the Jets are speaking directly with Rodgers, they and he would have had to secure the Packers' permission, as he is still under contract with Green Bay. So, the discussions Rodgers is having with the Jets indicate at least some openness on the part of the Packers to the idea of trading him there.

But there are potential complications to a deal, including Rodgers' huge and complicated contract, that might have to be addressed to make sure both teams would be in compliance with the salary cap by the start of the league year next Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Rodgers is under contract through 2024 for $108.8 million. Technically, the contract, signed last March, runs through 2026, but 2025 and 2026 are considered "dummy" years for cap purposes. His deal includes a fully guaranteed $59.5 million this season, with $58.3 million coming in the form of an option bonus, payable before the start of the regular season.

Because his bonus money is prorated, Rodgers wouldn't hobble the Jets' cap. He would count $15.8 million in 2023 and $32.5 million in 2024, cap-friendly for a player of his stature.

The Packers would get hit with a $40.3 million "dead" charge in 2023 -- nearly $9 million more than he'd count if he were on the roster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-sources-say
[Reply]
Frazod 10:09 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I intensely dislike Aaron Rodgers, but washed? He's a year removed from being MVP of the league for the second consecutive season. He played through a good part of last year with a thumb injury and was working with a lot of young receivers.

You may ultimately be right but I think it's a little early to come to that conclusion.
He padded his stats by playing in a horrible division and a generally weak conference, which is been a benchmark of his career. And despite having all the advantages of hosting playoff games in Green Bay, he's reliably crapped his pants in the playoffs, and is over a decade removed from his sole Super Bowl win/appearance. I'm not saying the guy doesn't have talent, but he's been propped up by fortunate circumstances throughout his career. Throw in the fact that he's a malcontent headcase, and I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to pay bank for the twilight years version of him.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:26 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Packers ****ed up badly keeping this guy last year. Could have easily ****ed Denver in the ass like Seattle did and gotten a way better return.

That's actually pretty comical, yea GB fucked up big time holding on to him last year.
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:23 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
That's actually pretty comical, yea GB ****ed up big time holding on to him last year.
Coulda had a top 5 pick to draft a stud QB with.

Love’s a scrub.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:54 AM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
He padded his stats by playing in a horrible division and a generally weak conference, which is been a benchmark of his career. And despite having all the advantages of hosting playoff games in Green Bay, he's reliably crapped his pants in the playoffs, and is over a decade removed from his sole Super Bowl win/appearance. I'm not saying the guy doesn't have talent, but he's been propped up by fortunate circumstances throughout his career. Throw in the fact that he's a malcontent headcase, and I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to pay bank for the twilight years version of him.
Any team that treated it's QB the way GB treated him would deal with the same.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:06 PM 03-28-2023
The whole thing makes more sense if you look at it like a bad divorce. They're just in that recriminations part of it.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:23 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Any team that treated it's QB the way GB treated him would deal with the same.
I think AR is a cool guy but he gets paid massive dollars and acts butt hurt too much. With that being said the Pack is a shit group that doesn't involve their most important player in offense decisions and that's just stupid.

That screams you are one of the peasants so shut the hell up and don't worry about it.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 12:41 PM 03-28-2023
Jets should pivot to the Ravens... get the Packers to move. Or, just focus on getting Jackson and having him for 8 years vs Rodgers for 1-2.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:43 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
I think AR is a cool guy but he gets paid massive dollars and acts butt hurt too much. With that being said the Pack is a shit group that doesn't involve their most important player in offense decisions and that's just stupid.

That screams you are one of the peasants so shut the hell up and don't worry about it.
If the Chiefs were to hire a new coaching staff/GM when Mahomes is 35 and repeatedly tell him they don't give a shit what he thinks about their personnel decisions, you don't think there'd be issues?
[Reply]
Mecca 12:44 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Mile High Mania:
Jets should pivot to the Ravens... get the Packers to move. Or, just focus on getting Jackson and having him for 8 years vs Rodgers for 1-2.
If Lamar Jackson is a productive player for 8 more years, I'll eat my hat.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:49 PM 03-28-2023
If Lamar Jackson is a productive player for 8 more years, I'll eat my hat.
Yeah, there's no way Lamar will be in the league as a starter in 8 years. 4 years is a stretch.
[Reply]
penguinz 02:09 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Mile High Mania:
I would rather guarantee having rogers for 1 year vs Lamar getting injured and being stuck in a long contract.
[Reply]
Skyy God 02:17 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:

Rogers is a total try-hard, team sabotaging headcase. How anyone could think he’s “cool” is beyond me.

And peasant? Lobbing Molotovs from your trailer park, I see.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:19 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by unBelizable:
Rogers is a total try-hard, team sabotaging headcase. How anyone could think he’s “cool” is beyond me.

And peasant? Lobbing Molotovs from your trailer park, I see.
Once again, do you think if any team that treated it's future HOF QB the way the Packers have, it would go well?
[Reply]
Skyy God 02:32 PM 03-28-2023
Once again, do you think if any team that treated it's future HOF QB the way the Packers have, it would go well?
Reports are he started being noncommunicative with the team in 2018. Ted Thompson called him a “complicated fella”.

Like dating a hot, difficult girl, you eventually tire of their shit.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:37 PM 03-28-2023
Originally Posted by unBelizable:
Reports are he started being noncommunicative with the team in 2018. Ted Thompson called him a “complicated fella”.

Like dating a hot, difficult girl, you eventually tire of their shit.
Tom Brady seeks out veteran WRs to play with his entire career: "look how Committed to winning he is"

Aaron Rodgers isn't allowed to have a say in team building for 20 years because the Packers are ran by Great Grandparents, has to speak out and request a change to organizational philosophy, then tells potential new team that he wants veteran Receivers: "insufferable"

People really underestimate how old-school and unwilling to change to Green Bay Packers are.

Could Aaron have done it sooner than the end of the season press conference where he talked about it? Sure. Should he have to when every elite QB in the league is granted those liberties? No. It cost him a large part of his reputation by having to make a big deal out of it just to win some consolations with that front office.

But nobody wants to cover that angle, Rodgers as the villain is way more spicy!
[Reply]
Page 14 of 21
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up