Zay Flowers, Boston College

EDGE:

Keion White, Georgia Tech
Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas St.
Will McDonald IV, Iowa St.
B.J. Ojulari, LSU

DT:

Mazi Smith, Michigan

As it stands right now, feel pretty confident that our first round pick will be one of these guys.
[Reply]
Chieftain 03:50 PM 02-16-2023
The Chiefs desperately need an edge rusher opposite of Karlaftis that is team controlled for the next 8 years (rookie contract, 5th year option, 3 franchise tags). A guy like Ojulari is intriguing.
I doubt any of the top 3 receivers will be available at the end of the round. I am against the idea of trading for one.
I don't like drating an O lineman this early unless it's a must have prospect. We can easily tag Orlando and give Wiley a two year extension.
Edge is an essential need and why pay for one in free agency when we can repeat what we did in last year's draft? Frank is a fill-in at this point. Can't rely on him for the entirety of a season. Shoring up the defensive line should be top priority. Draft the best DT if he is there.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:25 PM 02-16-2023
hmmm starting to wonder if we don't go WR, I don't love any of the edge rushers this year at our spot bc they're not fast or bendy enough, and there's enough talent at the WR position that it looks like a quality option will be there for us at 31... One less pick and QBs at the top of he draft pushing WR talent down further.

1. Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee
2. Jordan Addison, USC
3. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio St.
4. Zay Flowers, Boston College
5. 5th option depends on who you ask: Dell, Downs, Boute, etc...
[Reply]
JPH83 01:20 AM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
hmmm starting to wonder if we don't go WR, I don't love any of the edge rushers this year at our spot bc they're not fast or bendy enough, and there's enough talent at the WR position that it looks like a quality option will be there for us at 31... One less pick and QBs at the top of he draft pushing WR talent down further.

2. Jordan Addison, USC
I think it's a much better draft for DEs than WRs, although I agree there's fewer speedy options. I think there's a better chance that a guy like Will McDonald is there than a decent WR.
[Reply]
Dull Tools 03:43 AM 02-17-2023
I saw a mock today which had us picking a TE in Luke Musgrave.

I hadn't considered it before but it actually makes a bit of sense given how much we are using 2 or 3 tight end sets.

If it is a more pass catching TE it also fills the gap at WR to an extent too.

The thought of having 2 elite TEs along with Toney and Skyy Moore in the red zone is a very exciting prospect.

I still think OT and DE are more needed but just thought it was an interesting thought.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:42 AM 02-17-2023
After much study and thought, I'm going to be really bullish about us not having a chance at either Johnston or Hyatt.

And you're going to have to also count on the fact that the highest we can get with this and next year's first is 16. And that might be overvaluing next year's pick slightly. The real spot might be 18. It really depends on how willing a team is just to acquire more draft capital.

I just don't think we can get there without it costing a fortune that I just don't think is worth spending for this team. And that's what I think you'll have to do to net those guys.

Now, if there's a guy there at 21 or later that you want then I think you can get there with a future 2nd and this year's 4th. I don't think Johnston and Hyatt are those guys. Are you willing to chance Jaxon Smith-Njigba at that point? I'm not willing to go up for Addison over just taking Tyler Scott myself.

I think the focus should be on options we can get that can provide a similar impact. I'm fully on board with moving up substantially in the 2nd round by using a future 2nd. You might be able to get as high as 43 but probably no less than 48.

Either way, if you go with the flashy option in round 1 you still need to address RT, DE, and DT in this draft. You can't do that well if you start moving picks in this year's draft on day 2 to go get the flashy option; and, mortgaging future 1's eventually comes back to bite you in the ass.
[Reply]
O.city 09:22 AM 02-17-2023
Yeah, I'm not trading up. If anyone wants to come up for a QB in the frist for the 5th year, I'd gladly go down a few spots for an extra 3rd.

They need to just keep piling on talent.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:17 AM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by milkshock:
Would go big and trade up for Addison. Set us up multiple cheap years with him as a no.1 WR if he is what we think he is
The Chiefs really want a premier WR. We all know they were willing to trade up for one last year but couldn't get the deal done.

It's a very real possibility that they go get one (unless OBJ contract talks fall through).

Keep in mind, whether we have 11 or 12 picks, the Chiefs simply don't have 11 or 12 roster spots open. They're going to package and move up, probably more than once.

With that in mind, I'd desperately love for the Chiefs to go get a passrusher.

But this is Veach. And Veach is legit amazing, but he cares about one thing and one thing only: how can I surround Mahomes with the most talent possible.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:18 AM 02-17-2023

2. Jordan Addison, USC
I would bet on this, personally, unless the Brown negotiations turn south.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:19 AM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
After much study and thought, I'm going to be really bullish about us not having a chance at either Johnston or Hyatt.

And you're going to have to also count on the fact that the highest we can get with this and next year's first is 16. And that might be overvaluing next year's pick slightly. The real spot might be 18. It really depends on how willing a team is just to acquire more draft capital.

I just don't think we can get there without it costing a fortune that I just don't think is worth spending for this team. And that's what I think you'll have to do to net those guys.

Now, if there's a guy there at 21 or later that you want then I think you can get there with a future 2nd and this year's 4th. I don't think Johnston and Hyatt are those guys. Are you willing to chance Jaxon Smith-Njigba at that point? I'm not willing to go up for Addison over just taking Tyler Scott myself.

I think the focus should be on options we can get that can provide a similar impact. I'm fully on board with moving up substantially in the 2nd round by using a future 2nd. You might be able to get as high as 43 but probably no less than 48.

Either way, if you go with the flashy option in round 1 you still need to address RT, DE, and DT in this draft. You can't do that well if you start moving picks in this year's draft on day 2 to go get the flashy option; and, mortgaging future 1's eventually comes back to bite you in the ass.
kccrow and I are higher on Tyler Scott than seemingly the entire universe, but I'm telling you, this guy at 31 will pay out.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:04 PM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:

I'm honestly just not convinced in the guys we COULD go up for. I don't think guys like Hyatt and Addison are anywhere near the talent we've had in recent years at that sort of position. Maybe I'm overestimating previous years but I feel like a top 18 pick WR should be close to being a "do-it-all" WR1 that really works in any scheme. Not convinced that's the case with these guys. I'm WAY lower on Hyatt than most here. I have zero doubt he'd be lethal with Reid cooking up plays, but I think there's a lot of unanswered Qs to assume he's a WR1 type.

I kinda feel the same way about DE. But similar to you I think we COULD gain value moving up in the 2nd. I think 31 and a higher 2nd maybe doesn't get you blue chip guys, but it should get you a DE and WR with particular skillsets we need, and who can therefore make an impact early.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 02:33 PM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I'm honestly just not convinced in the guys we COULD go up for. I don't think guys like Hyatt and Addison are anywhere near the talent we've had in recent years at that sort of position. Maybe I'm overestimating previous years but I feel like a top 18 pick WR should be close to being a "do-it-all" WR1 that really works in any scheme. Not convinced that's the case with these guys. I'm WAY lower on Hyatt than most here. I have zero doubt he'd be lethal with Reid cooking up plays, but I think there's a lot of unanswered Qs to assume he's a WR1 type.

I kinda feel the same way about DE. But similar to you I think we COULD gain value moving up in the 2nd. I think 31 and a higher 2nd maybe doesn't get you blue chip guys, but it should get you a DE and WR with particular skillsets we need, and who can therefore make an impact early.
So you like a repeat of last year. Stand pat and a DE will drop to us, and move around in the 2nd for a WR. Who you targeting with those picks and what you giving up to move up in the 2nd?
[Reply]
JPH83 04:16 PM 02-17-2023
So you like a repeat of last year. Stand pat and a DE will drop to us, and move around in the 2nd for a WR. Who you targeting with those picks and what you giving up to move up in the 2nd?
Yeah i guess that's right. I think we might get Will McDonald at DE at 31. We sure as hell won't take him I'd bet, and I can see the arguments against. But he's going to be the speed guy I'm after, plus he's like a poor man's Nolan Smith - undersized but surprisingly good against the run. Moving up for a WR I'm less certain but I could see someone like Boutte being available around 50, especially if he's completely off guys like Brugler's radar. Basically I'm looking for whoever is left with the highest ceiling, forget floor. That'd probably be my 1-2.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:17 PM 02-17-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
kccrow and I are higher on Tyler Scott than seemingly the entire universe, but I'm telling you, this guy at 31 will pay out.
Isn't he a little small for R1? Would imagine he ends up a slot no? Or am I getting him mixed up?
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:20 PM 02-17-2023
Isn't he a little small for R1? Would imagine he ends up a slot no? Or am I getting him mixed up?
Sure he's small -- but he runs a 4.2 and is a hell of a receiver.

Under Andy Reid, he's a Pro Bowler by Year 3, and maybe sooner.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:17 PM 02-17-2023

He's like 5'10" or 5'11" and 180-185 so I don't think so. No smaller than Jaylen Waddle, Marquise Brown, or Jahan Dotson and they all went round 1. He also played outside alot for Cincy.

Are you thinking of Tank Dell?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 15
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up